When is it too loud, even for a guitar player....

Parralax view

Bruno Mars Loud that's what. Last night he started a 3 show stand at Aloha Stadium. I live almost 2 miles from there and last nights concert was so loud, that individual voices, instruments, etc. were clear as it being almost in my back yard. Too loud is an understatement.

In my time here, the Eagles, Stones, U2, and UH football games are held and I never heard a cheer, a note, nothing. Last night at 10:45pm, with windows closed, ac on, and bedrooms on the opposite side of the house from the sound was still like a boom box outside your window.

Today's paper was filled with complaints, I'm sure they will tone it down for Saturday and Sunday evening, hopefully. I did hear one single guitar solo that was unearthly, only the guitar playing for a good 10, 15 seconds, some mighty fine licks.. after that blessed silence.. Did I say I was gettin old or what???!! ;-)

Black Sabbath at the Whiskey in Hollywood on their first tour in the US. We had to leave and stand outside since it was blasting us so badly. Loved it. Wish I could do it again though!!!

Frehley's Comet, 2nd row at the Agora Ballroom in Hartford, again front row at Axis in Boston. KISS at the Springfield Civic Center ...somewhere on the floor ...close enough for the wind from the speakers to blow our lighters out and packed so tight I couldn't get my feet flat on the floor. Those shows left me ringing for days.

I've been to plenty of LOUD shows, but the one that sticks in my mind is KISS. Pyscho Circus tour, in Peoria, IL. We had 2nd row seats on the right side. Far enough to the the right that we were right in front of the PA stacks. Holy crap, was it painfully loud. Funny, saw them on the next tour, 3rd row center. That was one of the most perfect sounding shows I've ever been to. It was like we were getting to hear the stage monitors. Not loud, at all.

Pat Travers playin a club in Chicago back in the lats 80s. It was Sooooooo loud I thought I was going to throw up.....seriously.

I had to leave for a while.

Ted Nugent Super Bowl of Rock - So loud outside you couldn't yell into a persons ear next to you !!!

The loudest I've attended was REO speedwagon! :eek:

We opened for those guys at a local Ribfest in the mid 90's. We were the first band of the day, but we got full PA (gotta test it out, you know?). My guitars were so loud that I was in agony - and we were playing outside!!! It was one of the most miserable gigging experiences of my life, lol.

Pat Travers playin a club in Chicago back in the lats 80s. It was Sooooooo loud I thought I was going to throw up.....seriously.

I had to leave for a while.

Reminds me of seeing Steve Vai when he had Devin Townsend singing for him. Every time Devin would scream my body folded inward and my I would slightly lose consciousness. Again, that was outside!!! It sucked. We left.

Celtic Frost on their "Monotheist" tour. I was SOOOOOOOOOO freaking excited. I loved those guys forever. It was SOOOOOO loud and SOOOOOOOO heavy that my guts were traumatized. I had to leave. I felt SOOOOOOOOO lame, and actually got depressed because I couldn't handle it.

But, the Bruno Mars thing sounds stupid!!!

My hearing was toast for 2 days after most concerts in the ‘70s and ‘80s, so I’d be hard-pressed for picking the loudest. But I’ve survived doing this at a block party in someone else’s neighborhood...
MkIII-rig-outdoor.jpg

I would have gone postal on Bruno if that happened here. :mad:

As crazy as this sounds (pun intended), the loudest band I ever heard was..........The Moody Blues. Dust from the rafters, which must have accumulated for years and survived a multitude of concerts, rained down on our heads. Ridiculous.

Around 2001, had a full stack with a Marshall JCM900. Used to set the pedalboard in front of it in a dormer window bay upstairs in the rec/music room/upstairs den and crank it up pretty near full tilt every once in awhile. Bleeding ears...

Back