When do you guys know its time to let one go to a better home..

Brian, if you're not being sarcastic, I agree with you.

Sell what's not being used regularly, and buy what you can afford that appeals to your ears most. If the guitar has THAT tone, you'll recognize it.

I do mean what I say!

I use to have many more than I do now. I am down to 4 electric all PRS.

I do mean what I say!

I use to have many more than I do now. I am down to 4 electric all PRS.

A good man lets his "yes" mean "yes"!

I think I've always had 3 or less guitars at any given time. One acoustic, 2 electrics (of varying configs, mostly hollowbody or solid, for whatever practice or venue).

What are your PRS electrics these days?

I’m 6 weeks into my fondle everything annual ritual.
Only my scratch and dent tele and my backup spare HB are left. Then I start pedals.

Not that we didn't already know this, but you're a better man than I. I tried that ritual and my wife put the kibosh on that on minute 2! Not Day Two, MINUTE TWO! So yeah, after that I went to guitars and pedals as usual.

amp .. effects ... everything else except guitars .. experience every time I let one go I regretted it now I keep! even if i don't play for 2 years with one i know sooner or later i will end up watching it again!

You know this thread hit me at the right time. I read another thread recently that said save up for that one special guitar instead of having 3 or 4. Another comment that resonated with me was a 2 for 1 trade up is a good deal. So what I decided to do is change up my "garage" from 10 Fords and 2 Cadillacs to 4 Fords and 2 Mercedes. Keeping my first PRS and a SE HB II Piezo along with an SRV Strat and a Gilmour Modded Strat. The "Mercedes" I am in the middle of acquiring is a Taylor Builders Edition and a Wood Library McCarty. Of course NGD pics will follow when the McCarty arrives! After that I am done buying....no seriously that's what I told my wife so it has to be true ;)

In this situation I usually decide what I'm going to buy with the proceeds from the sale. Usually this frame of thought motivates me to send guitars out the door quickly if I stop playing them. If a guitar sits on the back burner too long...I start looking at other guitars/amps to try out.

less is more

get the right gear

To quote the wise man and Swedish shredmaster Yngwie Malmsteen: "I have a philosophy: More is more, less is less. The idea that less is more is illogical."

In all fairness he has said a lot of things. That being said, the fact you’re considering selling a guitar might be a sign that it’s time to let it go. That you don’t currently play it that much is one thing, a completely other thing is if you feel nothing when you do play it. If it’s not a rare collectible you can always pick up another one later if you change your mind. Just my opinion.

I've generally sold or traded stuff I'm not using.

Then there's a change in direction for whatever reason, and I wind up re-buying the same gear I sold off previously. Sometimes I do this three or four times, losing money each time in the process, not only on the sale of the used gear, but prices go up on the new stuff!

I'm not sure there's a right answer to this question.

I have an S2 Mira that literally never gets played for some reason...I just always reach for another PRS.....dare I sell it or should I hang on to it as they are not made anymore and it is an awesome guitar??

Looks to me like you answered your own question here.

Back