When do you guys know its time to let one go to a better home..

Russ73

I have an S2 Mira that literally never gets played for some reason...I just always reach for another PRS.....dare I sell it or should I hang on to it as they are not made anymore and it is an awesome guitar??

Gonna need to go out on a limb...

Many guitarists prefer to keep what they buy, in hopes of collecting one (or more) of each model.

My personal feeling is that if your ears like something better than what you currently play, you're not married to the guitars. You can sell them for something else.

If your S2 Mira doesn't have that tone or sound you like, you're not obligated to keep it. Someone else will happily buy your used piece if you offer them a respectable and fair price.

That being said, Reverb's brand new and mint prices are not comparable to many retailers' new prices. It's a seller's market for new items these days, and you'll need to price competitively a used piece.

Other than that, if you've got disposable income, no outstanding CC bills, no mortgage, a loving wife and no kids in college, keep the S2, buy what your ears like, and apologize to no one else but remember that your wife will ask if you made a choice or not.

My own personal rule is that if a guitar isn't getting played, and there's no sentimental attachment, it is time to send it to another home. I don't have limitless space or money, so i try to make sure that anything I own gets played, even if it's only infrequently.

Have there been a few that I regretted selling? Sure, but I rest easy knowing that someone else got to enjoy them, hopefully as much or more than me.

I have an S2 Mira that literally never gets played for some reason...I just always reach for another PRS.....dare I sell it or should I hang on to it as they are not made anymore and it is an awesome guitar??

Are you a player or a collector? No seriously, ask yourself that question.

Your question sounds collector-ish. That's an observation, not a criticism.

If you're a player and it's not getting played, send it on its way to make room for another one you will play. I've let go of guitars I thought were really pretty or scarce, and honestly it was the right decision for me, even though I miss them a little from time to time. As much as I like the looking, I get more enjoyment out of playing a really good one than looking at it. So ask yourself about that and let the answer inform your decision.

I'm a serial guitar flipper. I used to have a bunch, but when I left corporate employment in 2013 to go out on my own, I sold all but one. I've since discovered that I'm generally happy with 2 electrics, an acoustic, and a bass on hand. Maybe one day I'll get more.

That said, I like new toys, so the ones I have tend to rotate. If I haven't played one of them in a month or 2, it tends to go and get replaced by something more fun. Well, something differently fun.

IMHO, unless you need the room, the cash, or to appease your spouse, definitely keep it. It’s merely part of the PRS addiction, for god’s sake,
I'm inclined to agree with this. This is my thinking, most of the time. Every once in a while I look at what I've got an think that I really have too many. I could get by with 2 or 3. Then I slap myself back to reality!

I have moved some guitars that I don't miss, but only because I have others that replaced them. If I had to move one of the ones I have now I would miss it. Some have not been played in a year, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing them. I'll get to them when I want that magic thing they do.

get rid of it. if you are not playing it that's telling you something.

less is more

get the right gear

Brian, if you're not being sarcastic, I agree with you.

Sell what's not being used regularly, and buy what you can afford that appeals to your ears most. If the guitar has THAT tone, you'll recognize it.

I'm like the worst person in the world to ask this question. I have a group of guitars that I play regularly. And a group of guitars that I never play. Some here will laugh, because I've said for 3-4 years "I need to sell the Wolfie and the JS100 and the..." and still haven't done it. And, I could sell a few of them and fund a SS or Fiore, or .... And, I could really use the space in the music room as well. But there they sit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back