When did you first hear about PRS and what made you want to own one?

First started to hear about and see one here and there in the late 80's...
Didn't need another guitar, so never even picked one up! Loved the body shape and admired the tops of ones hanging on walls over the years, but that was as close as I got to one.

Fast fwd to about a month ago. On a whim I played one in a shop and it went home with me...

Photo required. ;)

Here you go
braS7PI.jpg

I first heard of them in the '80's but was not even remotely interested.
"Another new guitar company *yawn* I have my SGs and my 335s."
Never gave it another thought.

Then a couple of years ago...

I'm in a music store with a friend.
I get curious about an amplifier but have no guitar with me.
The sales guy pulls a brown S2 Mira off the wall and hands it to me.
The amplifier turns out to be nothing spectacular. I decide against it but...
That Mira comes with me and becomes my main gigging guitar for quite a while.

Then a few months later...

I go into the same store.
The same sales guy is there.
He sees me walk in and smiles.
He pulls a gig bag out from behind the counter and says,
"This came in a week or 2 ago. I didn't display it. I saved it for you."
"It" was a white S2 Mira semi hollow. It went home with me too.
It replaced my other Mira as my main gigging guitar.

Then a couple of months ago...

I'm wandering around on Music Zoo's website to see what's new
and allasudden this faded blue smokeburst S2 CU22 Semi hollow
jumps off my screen at me and yells "Get me outta here!!"
I'm in the car.
I'm in Music Zoo.
That makes 3 so far.

Now...

I am not so patiently waiting for the 35th anniversary S2 custom 24s to arrive.

Why does this keep happening to me?

Last edited:
I first heard of them in the '80's but was not even remotely interested.
"Another new guitar company *yawn* I have my SGs and my 335s."
Never gave it another thought.

Then a couple of years ago...

I'm in a music store with a friend.
I get curious about an amplifier but have no guitar with me.
The sales guy pulls a brown S2 Mira off the wall and hands it to me.
The amplifier turns out to be nothing spectacular. I decide against it but...
That Mira comes with me and becomes my main gigging guitar for quite a while.

Then a few months later...

I go into the same store.
The same sales guy is there.
He sees me walk in and smiles.
He pulls a gig bag out from behind the counter and says,
"This came in a week or 2 ago. I didn't display it. I saved it for you."
"It" was a white S2 Mira semi hollow. It went home with me too.
It replaced my other Mira as my main gigging guitar.

Then a couple of months ago...

I'm wandering around on Music Zoo's website to see what's new
and allasudden this faded blue smokeburst S2 CU22 Semi hollow
jumps off my screen at me and yells "Get me outta here!!"
I'm in the car.
I'm in Music Zoo.
That makes 3 so far.

Now...

I am not so patiently waiting for the 35th anniversary S2 custom 24s to arrive.

Why does this keep happening to me?

Welcome to the slippery slope, my man!

When Paul walked into the music shop I worked in back in NY in the 80's with his "Custom" creation. It was very nice and all but I wasn't all that impressed since Jimmy Page didn't play one. True story. If I only knew lol.

And now we have proof that Jimmy Page owns at least one PRS guitar!

How I first came to own a PRS Is a pretty complicated story that involves Keith Richards and a robbery and luck. I caught the guitar bug in high school when the British Invasion hit and my first electric guitar was an Egmund (guitar scholars will find that interesting as another George much more talented than I also started with an Egmund).

I really liked to play and I traded up now and again and I saved my money from summer jobs and after school jobs and eventually bought a 1964 Gibson ES335 TD at Rudy’s in Manhattan. It was the best sounding guitar I had ever played until ….). I realized three things however No.1 Keith Richards had the job I wanted and it didn’t look like he was going to give it up soon. No. 2. I would never be more than a slightly less than average musician as I'm just not that talented. No.3 I'm very good at science. So off I went to become a scientist and I would play for fun with friends. That 335 went with me to University, to homes in several states and even came along when we moved to Europe and then returned to the states. But my focus was on my career and family so I didn’t play for years.

Finally the day comes when I said I have time to get back to playing and our 15 year old daughter wants to learn so I set up the Gibson in the man cave. We did not know it then, but she was being stalked by 2 creeps at the high school and they took out a window screen and stole the guitar, waking me up at 4 am as they left. Luckily, I had documentation as to the replacement value of the guitar and I settled with the insurance company and begin to explore what I should buy, thinking I would probably just buy another 335. Months later while I'm pondering what to buy, the guitar appears on my front steps (the cops were closing in on the kid) and I decide to sell it to a high end vintage place near NIH and so I return the check to the insurance company and go shopping. In my research I discover that there is an electric guitar factory not 35 miles away from me on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and people are talking about PRS as the holy grail but I knew nothing about them. I go to a few stores to try guitars and I can’t find a better guitar than a PRS so I order my HBII with piezo and it is the best guitar I have ever played. That was in 2003.

Since then I’ve done the factory tour probably 3-4 times, been to every EXP PRS but one and had Paul and the band out to my College three times for a master class followed by concert. You probably know that Colleges and Universities can give honorary degrees to people who are considered exceptional in their field and I wrote the proposal and navigated campus politics to get Paul a honorary doctorate a few years ago so he is Dr Smith now. I know, some academicians would prefer we give a degree to a person who wrote the definitive work on the eyelashes of the tsetse fly but I thought Paul was more deserving of the honor. He is a very interesting person, extremely bright and a very thoughtful person and I’m grateful that his smarts and ambition have led to the creation of the best guitars that have ever been made. So that’s my tale.

1993, was reading a guitar magazine and happened across a PRS advertisement. "Nice looking guitars," I thought. "Hmm, Carlos Santana plays one. Wonder who has these guitars in stock to try?"

Couple years later, my cashflow improved and I owned my first car. I had learned that East Coast Music, downstate about an hour 40 minutes away stocked PRS. Loaded up my car with my old Peavey Classic 50 and F guitar I owned at the time. Drove down Rte 84 towards Danbury, CT, but blew out a right rear tire a couple exits before the East Coast exit. Had to walk back up the highway to an exit where a gas station lent me their tire iron so I could change the tire (my dinky car had a jack, but no iron to raise it with). Walked back to the car, changed the tire to a donut, backed up the highway in the emergency lane, returned the tire iron and drove off highway to a nearby tire dealership where I bought a cheap tire for about $90 that got me to my destination.

Not happy that the replacement tire had eaten into my guitar purchase money, and realizing that a new CE22 off-the-rack was $1400, I did some math and asked the sales guy what his best deal was for my gear towards a CE22.

The CE22 was tortoise shell non-10, with 5-way rotary, Dragon II pickups, natural back, stop tail. The guitar's tone was something I'd never heard before in any guitar I'd ever played before.

Long story short, I traded in my gear, and bought a torty CE22 (don't remember the price paid after trade-in), and limped back home in my new car that now needed an alignment because of the blown tire.

My mechanic and I (from whom I originally purchased the car) settled on the free cost of the alignment considering the car was less than 2 weeks off his lot and the mechanic warranteed the car for 30 days. Although we agreed the blown tire was an unforeseen occurrence, the mechanic took pity on me and did the alignment repair no charge because of the concurrent damage that occurred because of the blown tire.

Last edited:
How I first came to own a PRS Is a pretty complicated story that involves Keith Richards and a robbery and luck. I caught the guitar bug in high school when the British Invasion hit and my first electric guitar was an Egmund (guitar scholars will find that interesting as another George much more talented than I also started with an Egmund).

I really liked to play and I traded up now and again and I saved my money from summer jobs and after school jobs and eventually bought a 1964 Gibson ES335 TD at Rudy’s in Manhattan. It was the best sounding guitar I had ever played until ….). I realized three things however No.1 Keith Richards had the job I wanted and it didn’t look like he was going to give it up soon. No. 2. I would never be more than a slightly less than average musician as I'm just not that talented. No.3 I'm very good at science. So off I went to become a scientist and I would play for fun with friends. That 335 went with me to University, to homes in several states and even came along when we moved to Europe and then returned to the states. But my focus was on my career and family so I didn’t play for years.

Finally the day comes when I said I have time to get back to playing and our 15 year old daughter wants to learn so I set up the Gibson in the man cave. We did not know it then, but she was being stalked by 2 creeps at the high school and they took out a window screen and stole the guitar, waking me up at 4 am as they left. Luckily, I had documentation as to the replacement value of the guitar and I settled with the insurance company and begin to explore what I should buy, thinking I would probably just buy another 335. Months later while I'm pondering what to buy, the guitar appears on my front steps (the cops were closing in on the kid) and I decide to sell it to a high end vintage place near NIH and so I return the check to the insurance company and go shopping. In my research I discover that there is an electric guitar factory not 35 miles away from me on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and people are talking about PRS as the holy grail but I knew nothing about them. I go to a few stores to try guitars and I can’t find a better guitar than a PRS so I order my HBII with piezo and it is the best guitar I have ever played. That was in 2003.

Since then I’ve done the factory tour probably 3-4 times, been to every EXP PRS but one and had Paul and the band out to my College three times for a master class followed by concert. You probably know that Colleges and Universities can give honorary degrees to people who are considered exceptional in their field and I wrote the proposal and navigated campus politics to get Paul a honorary doctorate a few years ago so he is Dr Smith now. I know, some academicians would prefer we give a degree to a person who wrote the definitive work on the eyelashes of the tsetse fly but I thought Paul was more deserving of the honor. He is a very interesting person, extremely bright and a very thoughtful person and I’m grateful that his smarts and ambition have led to the creation of the best guitars that have ever been made. So that’s my tale.

That’s a cool story, but it shows such a lack of patience on your part. I mean, you couldn’t wait 65 or 90 years for Keith to vacate that job?

Back