When did PRS come out with the fat fret wire?

tip

Hi,
Thanks for PRS fret size history help.

I know some models have different fret wire but My 2014 CU22, 2013 SC-245 and others have the great (for me anyway) plump - shreddable - fret wire. I regrettably sold the CU22.

I just received two PRS rosewood neck guitars this week. A brand new 594 and a 2004 CU22. The 594 frets are fine although they seem less wide?
but...
The CU22 from 2004 frets measure a little less height.
Dang what a few mils will make after luxury bending of my SC-245 guitar.

The CU22 is really nice except the frets are not the ones I find in some of the later year designs.
If I can't bond with it after a few months, only due to fret height,....
Please help.
Approximately what year did Paul get the harder, plumper fret wire for my future purchase considerations?

As far as I know, the fret size has stayed about the same. Perhaps the frets on the '04 are a bit worn, or maybe they were just dressed a little lower during manufacture. They have been refining their formulas and processes across the board over the years, so that could also account for the difference.

The DGT has true jumbo frets, larger than the standard wire used. I've read that the 594 frets are the same, but with the crowns flattened.

Santana wire is different, if I remember right.

...jumbo frets, larger than the standard wire used. I've read that the 594 frets are the same, but with the crowns flattened.
Can confirm. I remember someone (PRSh?) saying that about the 594s at last year's experience.

Last edited:
I remember someone saying that about the 594s at last year's experience.

They're definitely flat on the tops. They feel great to me, like they're already broken in, since the crowns always get flattened anyway. Been playing mine regularly for a few months now and nary a divot.

They're definitely flat on the tops. They feel great to me, like they're already broken in, since the crowns always get flattened anyway. Been playing mine regularly for a few months now and nary a divot.
(Emphasis mine. -Dusty) Yeah, I remember him saying to the effect that that was exactly what they were going for.

I don't favor them myself which is too bad as there is a certain 594 at Brian's that really floats my boat color-wise.

Have you played one yet? I had one and the frets didn't bother me at all. Hate to see you pass one up on a maybe.

not yet, But I played a mccarty singlecut that had those frets and I know I wasn't happy with that aspect. Of course, I might change my mind given a chance with a 594.

Also a PTC job that wasn't perfect I am sure is an outlier as they do incredible work.

Agreed, They have done a lot of work on my guitars over the years. I think part of the issue with a refret is that, the fretboard is usually leveled before reinstalling frets and it is possible that during the leveling the inlays could be marred.

Cat strangler go and play the 594...There's more to that guitar neck than FRETS. The recipe that CHEF SMITH through together for that one is a MIND blower. It will just TICKLE your little PINKIES...and blow up your WALLET!

That's pretty special looking. You'd better buy it, before I do!

yeah its kind of got this art deco Miami Vice thing going on. If it it came as a set with the pastel pink metallic, I wouldn't hesitate!

Anyway, it looks like someone bought it already, I just noticed.

Last edited:
yeah its kind of got this art deco Miami Vice thing going on. If it it came as a set with the pastel pink metallic, I wouldn't hesitate!

Anyway, it looks like someone bought it already, I just noticed.

Bummer! If it was Seafoam, I'd really be in trouble!

The Santana, DGT, 513, Modern eagle and others, use fretwire that larger than the traditional PRS wire (Customs, Standards, CEs). Although all of these guitars utilize the same wire. each of these models have its own unique crown specifications.

PRS uses Jescar 57110 for the DGT series. This fret wire is taller than Dunlop's 6100.

Not if you file it down. Plus, you aren’t going to tell Shawn anything new about the production of any PRS model.

Why would you file them down? Lol I was just trying give some information. I didn't know that he knows the exact fret wire. Plus it's also for others who Google the DGT fret wire (like I did) and don't want to read through pages of discussions just to find out the exact type.

Back