Whats your Top 3 rankings of SE Guitars you would purchase...

I might change my vote from the Custom 24, to the SE Santana in Emerald Green. Sharp looking color there:

main1.jpg

I dig that color too... but not as much as the eriza verde, would've liked to see that one on a SECU24 or a Tremonti Custom. But who knows, one of those green Santana's might just strike me the right way!

I don't yet own a SE but would love either of the following:

1. Bernie Marsden Ltd Edition (there are still a few to be had in the UK).

2. SE Custom 24

3. SE One

Already own an SE Santana, so here is my top 3:

1. SE Custom 24
1a. SE 245 Soapbar
2. SE Semi Hollow
3. Paul Allender

I know, I cheater a little, but what the heck.....

Cheers!

D.

i've got a SE Custom 24 in my arms, so i'd cross it off the list.

1. SE Singlecut in Black/Antique White
2. SE Mark Tremonti in Black
3. SE Santana in Black/Emerald

notice all the black colour preference :X i'm no (fulltime) metalhead but black definitely looks classy!

Personally, I'd have a very hard time buying an SE at this point in my life. I want to make this abundantly clear. IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF SNOBBERY, OR BECAUSE I FEEL THE SE LINE AREN'T GOOD GUITARS. As a matter of fact, I've played a few SEs and the quality is fantastic. I tried a Korina Singlecut that was unreal...really lightweight, great frets and neck, and it SANG! I was shocked at the quality of guitar for less than $600.

My hangup against the SEs is because the US economy is in very poor shape. We've lost an incredible amount of our manufacturing industry. With so many of my fellow Americans out of work, I can't in good conscience buy a new imported guitar while American-made options are available. I remember when I was a kid, whenever there was a recession, you saw "Buy American" billboards, stickers, and ads everywhere. With the development of the "world economy", that's becoming less and less of an option. To my way of thinking, it's like an autoworker driving a Honda to his job at the Ford plant, then wondering why he lost his job.

Perhaps, I'm just being naive. But I buy American products whenever I can.

... is because the US economy is in very poor shape. We've lost an incredible amount of our manufacturing industry. With so many of my fellow Americans out of work, I can't in good conscience buy a new imported guitar while American-made options are available. I remember when I was a kid, whenever there was a recession, you saw "Buy American" billboards, stickers, and ads everywhere. With the development of the "world economy", that's becoming less and less of an option. To my way of thinking, it's like an autoworker driving a Honda to his job at the Ford plant, then wondering why he lost his job.

It is a nice thought, but that Ford you are buying may not have been built in America. "In North America, Ranger and F-series trucks are built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada; Dearborn, Michigan; Claycomo, Kansas; Louisville, Kentucky; St. Paul., Minnesota; and Edison, New Jersey. Trucks also are built in Mexico, Malaysia, Vietnam, Argentina and England.": Where Are Ford Vehicles Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5040488_ford-vehicles-made.html#ixzz2Pc4i7Jx2

To complicate matters, Toyota makes cars for the American market in the United States, usually in one of five plants located in Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana, Texas and West Virginia.

Like you, I like to buy American, but it is more "Assembled in America than Made in America." And just like Toyota gets the profit in Japan for that car assembled here, PRS America gets the profit from that SE you are not buying. Don't get me wrong, I love that PRSi are made in America. I don't want that to change, but it's a very complex buisness environment out there today.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. But my point was buying a USA guitar vs. an import. The example you're making is akin to the Fender Strats from awhile back with parts made in Mexico, but assembled in the US. I'd go for the American Standard everytime.

Totally understand your thinking Brad.

When I bought my Laney Lionheart it had the Union Jack over all the paperwork etc, and a stamped badge saying Made In Britain. Our manufacturing base has been decimated so it fill me with pride to own something built in my own country by British workers. I can totally understand you feeling the same way about USA built guitars.

Having said that. The economic climate is in very bad shape worldwide and although the talking heads say things are recovering they've been proved wrong time after time. Having a lower cost line built overseas is actually very important in these times. Although the SE's are made in South Korea it employs Americans to design the guitars. It's American workers who work at PRS setting up the guitars, American workers who make their living in guitar shops selling these items. So much of the money is coming back to the US.

The cheaper guitars will provide a very necessary line of income for the major US manufacturers. It's the same for Gibson with Epiphone, Fender with their Squier and Mexican guitars and for PRS with the SE line.

These companies cannot make these guitars in the US without either dropping the QC massively or upping the prices. People have a lot less disposable income these days so it's important to have a low cost line and the only way to keep it low cost whist still delivering a certain level of quality is to move production overseas.

The shops are going to sell more guitars because more people can afford the cheaper guitars. With luck they may stay with the brand and when they come into the money they may upgrade to the premium American guitars.

It's a finely balanced thing. Certainly it's a shame to see jobs go elsewhere but perhaps the affordable line that sells in big numbers is actually keeping people in work.

SE Clint Lowery

SE Bernie Marsden

SE One (I'm picking up one tomorrow so I will have to think of a number 3)

Since I have purchased one of my top three I made a new list, two are the same.

SE Clint Lowery

SE Bernie Marsden

SE Tremonti

1. SE Bernie Marsden Limited (the one with coil tapping)

2. SE CU 24 2012 model - any colour will do

3. SE One - love the look of those beauties

1. SE 245 (I already have one .It's my go to guitar )
2. SE 245 Soapbar Waiting Patiently !!!!!! It's on order !
3. SE Bass ( I hear there will be one next year ?)

1. SE 245 (I already have one .It's my go to guitar )
2. SE 245 Soapbar Waiting Patiently !!!!!! It's on order !
3. SE Bass ( I hear there will be one next year ?)

If there will be a bass I will adding that to my top 3 for sure!

Back