What's your take on the Cor-Tek guitars MII?

Jason B

I recently purchased a PRS SE Standard, Tobacco Sunburst, MII by Cor-Tek.

The guitar promptly went back to the dealer. It had a very ugly wood selection, although I was told that's a taste thing. That's fine. The routing around the back plate on the other hand, well that's bad craftsmanship.

Here are a couple pics;

2elr247.jpg

167vwon.jpg

Honestly, it's not a guitar I would buy - but I have played a few and found myself totally underwhelmed in comparison to the SE guitars I owned several years back. Those include a Bernie Marsden, a CU24 Floyd, an 245, and a CU24. All of those were WMI, and were KILLER guitars.

I'm really considering cancelling my order and hunting down a used SE MIK.
These Indo models don't seem to be up to par.

I recently purchased a PRS SE Standard, Tobacco Sunburst, MII by Cor-Tek.

The guitar promptly went back to the dealer. It had a very ugly wood selection, although I was told that's a taste thing. That's fine. The routing around the back plate on the other hand, well that's bad craftsmanship.

It is a $500 guitar, some of the cost cutting measures are that you will not get choice woods (absolutely a taste thing), or super precise routes. If those are the only reasons that you sent the guitar back, I think you are being way too critical, considering the price point. If the frets are good, the guitar is playable, and functions as it should, it is a good deal in my view.

I just bought a used SE Std 22, (2015 Indonesian), that had a few minor issues, cavity cover routing a little off, TRC a bit too long, fret edges not quite as smooth as my more expensive MIK SE’s, but otherwise on par with my MIK SE Soapbar ll (similar price range). And that also means that it has the cheaper electronics and pups, but overall, well worth the price IMO. I plan on changing the switch, pots, and maybe the pups, although they sound pretty decent for clean and low gain stuff.

I do expect that the SE Paul’s guitar that I have on order, to be a bit better, more refined, but it is also twice the price. I am certainly not going to cancel the order based on what I see as a couple of overly critical posts.

BTW, I think that guitar looks great, and I nearly bought a similar looking 22, but found another that I liked better (that “taste thing” again)

Say what you will, but the fact remains I have read and/or witnessed many issues with the new line of SE guitars MII that aren't specific to the SE Standard models.
If you're ok with bad routing and finish, then by all means go ahead and spend your hard earned cash as you see fit. That's your choice.

I on the other hand know the quality of product that PRS puts out, and know based off that standard that the SE MII guitars don't seem to live up to the name.

I sent those pics to the dealer, and they agreed it was a flaw. I'm clearly not the only one who has this view.

Many? Most of the bad reviews that i’ve seen (what, 4, maybe), seem to be from those with an axe to grind, nit picky types. I mean really, a very small gap between the plate and route is all you got? C’mon man, that’s rich.

All guitar makers have their lemons here and there, and the PRS SE line is no exception. But, the vast majority of reviews have been favorable so far.

My Bernie is the only SE I have ever spent any time with and is a MIK unit and is damn near flawless. No matter how little or high the guitar costs I would not want or expect lousy routes, especially when this is machine done for the most part and should be very consistent. Also the QC dept should catch this stuff, both at the manufacturers facility and at PRS.

Many? Most of the bad reviews that i’ve seen (what, 4, maybe), seem to be from those with an axe to grind, nit picky types. I mean really, a very small gap between the plate and route is all you got? C’mon man, that’s rich.

All guitar makers have their lemons here and there, and the PRS SE line is no exception. But, the vast majority of reviews have been favorable so far.

My gripe isn't with the SE line in general. I decided to purchase an SE guitar based off the excellent reviews, finish and sound of the MIK models.

My issue is that the MII guitars dont seem to have the same quality standard, as I mentioned above.

I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation to receive a brand new guitar without any craftsmanship flaws such as bad routing.

It’s not so much that the quality was sub par for you - to which I completely understand - but it’s more disconcerting that you created an account here just to complain. If you had so much experience with PRS, setting the standards that led you to this conclusion, why not come here and post under positive circumstances? There’s way more here to love than not. Dump the SE, go pick up an S2 and come back with a smile on your face. ;)

I just dumped a Core Tek Standard 22 from 2015 I got from Daves, mine was barely playable, the Korean SEs are fantastic though!

I read somewhere that the Standards and the Customs were made in two different factories in Indonesia. My Custom 24s are really excellent guitars. I wonder if the two factories are putting out different quality guitars?

It had a very ugly wood selection, although I was told that's a taste thing.

2elr247.jpg

Aesthetics is indeed a taste thing as in good and bad. :) (OK; I get it’s subjective).

I am not a fan of splicing veneers together (other than for a book match), leaving a very noticeable off-center seam. To a lesser extent, I’m not a fan of multi-piece backs unless the seam is in the middle. I recently considered snagging an SE that had a nice quilted top, but the off-center seam back dissuaded me.

My Bernie is the only SE I have ever spent any time with and is a MIK unit and is damn near flawless. No matter how little or high the guitar costs I would not want or expect lousy routes, especially when this is machine done for the most part and should be very consistent. Also the QC dept should catch this stuff, both at the manufacturers facility and at PRS.

Thank you for seeing my point of view.
I've heard nothing but great things about the models MIK. I've never owned one myself, but have played a couple in the store. They felt and looked great.

Regardless of price, bad route cuts are just inexcusable.

I just dumped a Core Tek Standard 22 from 2015 I got from Daves, mine was barely playable, the Korean SEs are fantastic though!

I have decided that I'm going to request a refund for this guitar and go with something else.

I read somewhere that the Standards and the Customs were made in two different factories in Indonesia. My Custom 24s are really excellent guitars. I wonder if the two factories are putting out different quality guitars?

I believe at one point all MII guitars were built out of the PT Wildwood factory. PRS recently added the Cor-Tek factory into the mix.
As far as the MIK models go, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're all built out of the WMI factory.

Aesthetics is indeed a taste thing as in good and bad. :) (OK; I get it’s subjective).

I am not a fan of splicing veneers together (other than for a book match), leaving a very noticeable off-center seam. To a lesser extent, I’m not a fan of multi-piece backs unless the seam is in the middle. I recently considered snagging an SE that had a nice quilted top, but the off-center seam back dissuaded me.

I'm slightly picky with aesthetics to the point where I like everything centered. The big off-centered strip going down the top of the body was a huge turnoff to me. Others may very well like it, and that's fine.

No Korean SE I have ever seen looked as badly off-centered as this axe.

I must admit that I don't like seeing a multi-piece wood on the front of the guitar UNLESS its a book matched top - the closer the match, the better.

As such, I wouldn't have picked up this SE in the first place, I wouldn't order any guitar online less than £1k where there is a chance that the shop won't provide a picture of exactly which guitar I am buying and at least provide a check over, set up etc to ensure that the guitar is 'clean', set-up and ready to go - maybe a 'tune-up' at most on receipt.

If the shop is NOT providing the above, then I will NEVER buy these online. I would want to see, to check and to hear the guitar I am buying knowing full well that QC isn't necessarily at the 'standard' I may want. It maybe perfectly acceptable to build a PRS standard out of multiple pieces of Mahogany and may not have ANY impact on the playability or tone but aesthetically, I don't like too see that. As for the back-plate, I am surprised its recessed - the trem cavity isn't. Again though, this small a gap may well be OK for PRS QC as it doesn't affect the playability or tone of the instrument. Its so small a gap and on the back of the instrument too that they may consider that acceptable from an aesthetic perspective too.

Both of these are purely aesthetic and have no effect on the playability or tone - at least no more affect than the differences between any similar guitar whether they are made from a single, double or more piece(s) of Mahogany. As such, I can see exactly why these may well of made it through to retailers as opposed to being classed as unfit for purpose.

This is the type of guitar that perhaps should have been sprayed a colour, maybe even have been made into the King Crimson model where the multi piece body is covered by colour/artwork rather than show the wood.

Another reason why I would never buy a guitar under £1k without seeing the guitar in person would be because they are usually on display, could be played by anybody and in particular the beginner/intermediate players where as the £1k+ are often displayed in a 'high end' section where more higher skilled musicians are the most likely persons to have played them - if anyone does because they are out of most peoples budget. These are also the type of guitar that retail staff tend to more reserved at who they let play these guitars. If buying online, the shop is more likely to have actual photo's of the guitar you are buying and more inclined to do a check and set-up - even put new strings of your choosing on as well....

My guess is the Indonesian factory uses a CNC like everyone else, so the route isn’t the problem, whoever’s supplying the back plate is, since it obviously is a poor fit.

The S2s are much better guitars, made by actual PRS craftspeople who are trained by the master to do the job. That’s an inescapable fact. But you pay for it.

I can’t figure out why folks will buy several inexpensive import guitars, when one really great USA guitar offers more long-term satisfaction, but then again, I can’t figure out why people will actually go to McDonald’s for a hamburger that will give you a nauseating, greasy lump in your stomach when so many restaurants offer fantastic burgers.

My S2 Singlecut Satin Standard killed any desire for SEs. Even my Bernie is being neglected nowadays and I still really rate the Bernie.

A used S2 might still be priced higher than a new MII SE, but I find them to be a very solid step up. Definitely the sweet spot for me nowadays when it comes to PRS guitars.

My guess is the Indonesian factory uses a CNC like everyone else, so the route isn’t the problem, whoever’s supplying the back plate is, since it obviously is a poor fit.

The S2s are much better guitars, made by actual PRS craftspeople who are trained by the master to do the job. That’s an inescapable fact. But you pay for it.

I can’t figure out why folks will buy several inexpensive import guitars, when one really great USA guitar offers more long-term satisfaction, but then again, I can’t figure out why people will actually go to McDonald’s for a hamburger that will give you a nauseating, greasy lump in your stomach when so many restaurants offer fantastic burgers.

I was thinking it was more likely the backplate as well, it just makes more sense that they’d “shape” that if it wasn’t fitting (for let’s say there being too much paint/clear in the cavity) rather than sand or enlarge the route in the wood.

SE’s are awesome though.

Last edited:
At one time about 10 yrs. ago, I had about 5 PRS SE guitars. None of them were bad, but they were just lacking in feel and tone in stock form.

I finally woke up and sold all my SE's, and decided it was better to put my money toward the better quality PRS guitars.

Last edited:
Back