What's your plan?

Davey

Just Jammin'
OK, Hopefully I got your attention with the title.
Sorry for the long intro.
I haven't seen this question posted after searching on here. I've seen posts of what are you watching, whats your next purchase with and without budget, what are your regrets, gear choices, pedal boards, etc.
What I would like to know is, what is your plan for not only your next guitar, but guitars. What are you planning to add or what is your plan (if you have one) to round out the stable? Maybe your just getting the stable started or maybe you have a full stable that others drool over or maybe you're thinking holy cow, Stable!, geez I'd be happy with one to begin with.
So I realize we are all in different boats financially, but I just wanted to see if anyone had a plan.
Bottom line is just keeping the topic fun!

I bought a 2001 CE22, all black for my first PRS. Loved it, but I traded it for other gear. I finally got back into PRS last year with a Custom 24.
32836876607_5beb57fe57_c.jpg

I've been wanting another CE, then last night, I found a nice little CE22 that I couldnt pass up.
48844460831_645cacc641_c.jpg

When the budget will allow, my plan;

• I dig the CE's and I like the bite of the dragon I's, so an older 94-97 CE22. Not sure of color yet. Maybe Emerald green.
  • Then likely save up for a new 509 preferably 10 top or artist, probably a charcoal cherry burst. I love the switching options for variety.
  • Although I have a LP, I'm thinking a McCarty next, maybe an Autumn sky or Copperhead.
Then after that I guess I will reassess and decide then.

I'm curious to see what any of you have planned and your reasoning behind it? If you don't have a plan, maybe this will give you some ideas.....

Last edited:
With space a premium for me meaning that I have to consider whether I can justifiably add another guitar to my collection without potentially taking up the space that something more needed could occupy. Its one major reason why I don't have duplicates and wouldn't sell a guitar because that guitar offers something unique that cannot be replaced by other guitars. I know that there are some that may appear similar - like the 594, HBii and Special because of the pick-up placement and/or same pick-ups. For example, they are all 58/15 PU's with both the 594 and HBii having the LT's whilst the Special has MT's. However there is enough difference and unique tones that separate them all.

The one guitar I am GASsing for the most right now is the 594 Hollowbody but I also feel that it may not be too different from the Solid 594 and/or my HBii. I know there are gaps that I perhaps ought to consider more - I don't have a Floyd type guitar which, for a fan of 80's Rock/Metal and players like Steve Vai too, could be much more useful. I do have a lot of ground covered with my collection but with all the different possible combinations of PU's, Body (solid/Hollow etc), bridge types, etc, there is always something that could be added. With NAMM and PRS Experience coming up, who knows if PRS will make another new model or Limited Edition that will no doubt tempt me.

As I can't really afford to buy Core PRS guitars without saving for months, there are times when I am not in the market - saving for the 'just in case' or emergency as something breaks down, I am often not making plans and actually trying to avoid making spontaneous purchases. That being said, IF I saw something (like a Fire Red Burst 594 Hollowbody) in a local (UK) PRS Retailer, I would either be tempted to buy or make alterations to my expenses in order to maximise savings to purchase. Until there is 'something' that I really want and/or need, I tend to keep my options open, not really making plans even if I am gassing for a particular model and will happily wait until the right one comes along or something else has me gassing more. My Special is a classic case of jumping ahead of the 594 HB because of its limited edition status meaning I felt I had to buy this before it disappeared and the 594HB could wait a bit longer.

Well, my plan is to have fewer guitars. What I had was just right when I spent 165-175 days a year away from home. Now it feels a bit cluttered in the house, so I have to make room to get new stuff.

I’d like a traditional archtop and an acoustic with African Blackwood back and sides and a sinker redwood top. And maybe a setup to record properly.

I downgraded to two guitars years ago. I have my trusty cedar topped acoustic and my DC22. I regret not hanging onto any of my Strats though.
My plan, after finding enough time to play to justify it, is another thin-wide electric. I'm really digging the semi-hollow PRS's right now and might go that way. I hadn't realized how cramped I feel on the DC22 neck and 24.4 scale until I played the semi-hollow today.

I downgraded to two guitars years ago.

Me, too. See my signature. The only "guitar" plan I have is if I can ever find a birth year guitar that I like and I can afford, I may add it to get to three guitars. But since that would be a 1958, the price may be out of reach.

Why am I so cheap? Because I'm putting as much as I can into retirement funds!

Once I finish upgrading/modding/assembling the Dustie Waring CE24, I plan on grabbing a cool baritone for recording purposes. Then I have to send my P22 to PTC for the piezos to be repaired.

I am actually hoping to sell 2-3 that I never play. It's hard with the insulting low-ball offers. I have my DGT Artist on Reverb right now. One dude offered me $1.11!!!! C'mon, really?!?!

Once I finish upgrading/modding/assembling the Dustie Waring CE24, I plan on grabbing a cool baritone for recording purposes. Then I have to send my P22 to PTC for the piezos to be repaired.

I am actually hoping to sell 2-3 that I never play. It's hard with the insulting low-ball offers. I have my DGT Artist on Reverb right now. One dude offered me $1.11!!!! C'mon, really?!?!
What
The
Actual... Wow... people...

I think I have a P22 piezo issue as well.

Sell a bunch. The cleansing has begun.

I have four guitars that were made for me, which I’m attached to. An old F style that I’ve had forever, again sentimentally attached.

Now I have the “gift guitar” that is never going anywhere. So I’m kind of stuck.

Of course I “want” and I know “need” doesn’t come into it.

My heart wants all the shiny things. My head is thinking difference in tonal palette!

First World problems!

Me, too. See my signature. The only "guitar" plan I have is if I can ever find a birth year guitar that I like and I can afford, I may add it to get to three guitars. But since that would be a 1958, the price may be out of reach.

Why am I so cheap? Because I'm putting as much as I can into retirement funds!

Ha ha ha. I'm right there with you brother!

I've been maxing out my 401k contributions for quite a while now. I want to make sure I'm secure as possible when I throw in the towel.

I'd really like to have a P90 prs DGT and studio.

I buy gear I fall in love with. It’s stuff that I use to inspire and express my art.

I don’t think I’ve ever successfully made a plan to fall in love. When it happens, I find I just need to go with it. If it doesn’t happen, I can’t force it.

Back