What's your pick of choice ?

Red Jazz picks, some of which are EJs: I use them sideways, so the point is unused/hidden.

I've tried loads of others over the last four+ decades, and have boxes of them hidden away. I occasionally try using something I played with a lot in the distant past, like the green Tortex I stuck with for ages - these feel like they address the string all wrong for me now.

I just use run of the mill red Jazz 3's. I've probably tried every pick under the sun at this point,

- V-Picks....good, lots of styles, but expensive. I swallowed one once.

OK. We have to have the rest of the story here. How did it happen that you swallowed one?!?! Can we assume adult beverages were involved?;) And how did everything come out, well.......in the end? There has to be potentially here for a perforated intestine but obviously that didn't happen.

OK. We have to have the rest of the story here. How did it happen that you swallowed one?!?! Can we assume adult beverages were involved?;) And how did everything come out, well.......in the end? There has to be potentially here for a perforated intestine but obviously that didn't happen.
So...this happened about 10 years ago I think. I had bought a couple Jazz 3 types from Vinni. I was doing something while holding a pick in my mouth, and somehow I got bumped and the pick went in. Involuntarily, I swallowed it. I was really tripped out and very worried! As far as I know, it went through the tubes just fine. I never recovered it, and....i wasn't gonna try. I remember emailing Vinni about it, certainly gave him a laugh, told him to use it in marketing. So smooth and fast, it'll pass right thru your small intestine without being noticed!

It is possible I might be the only person on Earth who has ever eaten a v-pick. Thank the Lord it wasn't one of those triangle picks...you know, these things..which I had at the time!
images

My pick of choice - anything I can get my hands on for the most part, but if given a choice, a thicker pick for solos (in general) and a thinner one for strumming (especially funk 16th note type strums - I tend to drop heavier picks ;)

Adamas Graphite 2mm they never ever wear out!

I love the Adamas picks and have used them exclusively for a while. Then someone turned me on to the Rocky Mountain Slides Ultimate Graphite Guitar Picks which are based on the original Adamas design. Supposedly they are slightly thicker in the body with the same tip thickness but I don't really note much difference in feel. The RM picks do have a little more writing that seems to improve grip a bit but YMMV. All in all, they feel fairly interchangeable. I don't even bother to see which I grabbed. Worth checking out if you're an Adamas player.

So...this happened about 10 years ago I think. I had bought a couple Jazz 3 types from Vinni. I was doing something while holding a pick in my mouth, and somehow I got bumped and the pick went in. Involuntarily, I swallowed it. I was really tripped out and very worried! As far as I know, it went through the tubes just fine. I never recovered it, and....i wasn't gonna try. I remember emailing Vinni about it, certainly gave him a laugh, told him to use it in marketing. So smooth and fast, it'll pass right thru your small intestine without being noticed!

It is possible I might be the only person on Earth who has ever eaten a v-pick. Thank the Lord it wasn't one of those triangle picks...you know, these things..which I had at the time!

So it became your #2 pick?

I became obsessed with picks for a while. I've always enjoyed trying different sizes, shapes, materials, etc. I've been playing thicker picks for years (always at least 2.0mm or thicker). I REALLY became obsessed with boutique faux tortoise shell picks about 3 years ago. I wanted a real one, but...... Anyway, I bought and tried all I could find. Pearse, Hense, Django's, JB's, EML picks, etc. Well, I found out about Manouche picks (manouchepicks.com). He's out of Holland. He's a one man operation and is very responsive to emails, questions, and the like. The friendliest guy you could ever want to meet. They are incredible!!! I'm telling ya, I have four of them now, and they are by far the best sounding and feeling picks I've ever laid my hands on. He names them all as well. The four I have are 3.0mm. From L to R: Romino, Django (2 of them), and Eliza. They are so smooth. No drag at all across the strings. They just glide. Rounded/beveled edges. Made of Art Nouveau Tortoise and Shellrin Tortoise Bioplast/Cotton Fibre. They totally feel "played in". I doubt I'll find one any better than these for my style of playing anyway. And they aren't crazy expensive either. Somewhere around $20/$30 USD.

A6bqQti.jpg

I became obsessed with picks for a while. I've always enjoyed trying different sizes, shapes, materials, etc. I've been playing thicker picks for years (always at least 2.0mm or thicker). I REALLY became obsessed with boutique faux tortoise shell picks about 3 years ago. I wanted a real one, but...... Anyway, I bought and tried all I could find. Pearse, Hense, Django's, JB's, EML picks, etc. Well, I found out about Manouche picks (manouchepicks.com). He's out of Holland. He's a one man operation and is very responsive to emails, questions, and the like. The friendliest guy you could ever want to meet. They are incredible!!! I'm telling ya, I have four of them now, and they are by far the best sounding and feeling picks I've ever laid my hands on. He names them all as well. The four I have are 3.0mm. From L to R: Romino, Django (2 of them), and Eliza. They are so smooth. No drag at all across the strings. They just glide. Rounded/beveled edges. Made of Art Nouveau Tortoise and Shellrin Tortoise Bioplast/Cotton Fibre. They totally feel "played in". I doubt I'll find one any better than these for my style of playing anyway. And they aren't crazy expensive either. Somewhere around $20/$30 USD.

A6bqQti.jpg
I'd try one of those for sure. Life's too short to miss out on the good stuff.

It generated negative feedback.
And constant chirping…

Big talk!

:rolleyes:

Reminds me of when I drove my son to Ann Arbor for his student orientation before his Freshman year. We got to about a block away from the dorm, and there was already a line of cars dropping off kids and luggage near the entrance.

"Just let me out here, Dad," said my son.

"But we're a block away, the line's moving fast, and you have your guitar, your backpack, and a heavy duffel. It won't be long til we get in front of the door," I replied.

"Yeah, just drop me here, I'll get the stuff out of the car," he insisted. So that's what we did.

As I watched him walk away carrying all that stuff into the door of the dorm, it dawned on me that at his age I was also too cool to want anyone to think that I had, you know, actual parents.

So I find it hilarious that grownup guys pretend that they're too cool for their wives when their wives aren't around - the guys who complain the loudest are usually the ones who can't find their asses with both hands without their wives!!

"What about you, Les?"

"I...um...uh..er...well..." ;)

Last edited:
So I find it hilarious that grownup guys pretend that they're too cool for their wives when their wives aren't around - the guys who complain the loudest are usually the ones who can't find their asses with both hands without their wives!!

Rest assured, my wife usually hears all about these - it makes her laugh. She knows she's a light sleeper and I am not. And she can replace my meds with placebos, so...

I tried the Red Bear when they were mentioned early in this thread. I’ve been using them exclusively ever since. Great picks. I like lil jazzer and tiny 9’s.

Prior to that, Gravity gold picks were the choice.

Back