What's Your Opinion on Relic-ing Guitars?

to me its hideous.

It used to be that some guy on a stage with a super $$$ pretty guitar was assumed to be a "poser".

Now, its the guys with the fake relics that are.

Now if you actually do play good, and sound good, it doesn't matter what you play.

+1
I dont like the intentionally distressed
Only some of those goldtops and strats
DOnt like the look of most

( now I'm thinking of chaining a strat to the truck and go cruisin !!!)

to me its hideous.

It used to be that some guy on a stage with a super $$$ pretty guitar was assumed to be a "poser".

Now, its the guys with the fake relics that are.

Now if you actually do play good, and sound good, it doesn't matter what you play.

Pretty good fake, huh?

1.jpg

Last edited:
As an aging late Baby Boomer, I believe that the angst has a lot to do with the shear number of male Baby Boomers who purchased reliced "lifestyle" guitars and pretended to be guitarists instead of buying a Harley and running off with an eighteen year old. :)

I'd buy a Harley to run off with a 48 year old at this point...

I figure people should be allowed to spend their money on whatever they want no matter how dumb everyone else thinks it is.

That said, relic'ing is not something I would spend my money on. I can appreciate a worn guitar, even an artificially-aged one, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. I like shiny, well-cared-for guitars.

I wouldn't expect relic'ing to be popular among PRS enthusiasts. Relics are essentially faux vintage.As a brand, PRS stands somewhat in defiance of the "vintage" market. If you like PRS, chances are you recognize their build quality as superior to that of vintage instruments in the first place.

To each his own I guess but I'm not a fan of relic guitars and I personally wouldn't pay more money for a guitar that's intentionally beat up.

I dont mind relic's on Fender .. not on PRS .. Just the thought of a reliced Arist Grade top makes me squirm.

Never been a fan of relic guitars. The money(man hours) spent defacing a new guitar would in my opinion be better served by instead upgrading the materials(wood, electronics or hardware) of the instrument.

Back