What's your giggin' rig?

alanwaston

Hey all,
Just curious to see what everyone's acoustic guitar rig is when playing live. I know that electric guitar rigs can go for a mile but acoustics are a different breed.

I am pretty straightforward I use a LR baggs venue DI (nice EQ control and boost and a decent tuner in a pinch) and I use a tc electronic flashback x4 delay and looper.

Love to hear what you guys use!

Last edited:
Haven't played a live show in a few years but still happy using the LR Baggs piezo in my Hollowbody. It sounds great, not too fragile, no feedback, and a flip of the switch to magnetic pickups (or blend to warm up the tone).

But, to answer your question in context of the thread, I had B-Band systems installed in my acoustics with a great deal of success during live performances.

Taylor 614CE>Fishman Aura Spectrum>direct to house.

This is possibly going to change. I just got an Atomic AmpliFire. I already have an acoustic IR loaded, and have just started to work with it. With this instead of taking the Aura and a comp, verb, etc. I can run Pre, EQ, Verb, comb, etc all in the AmpliFire so one device instead of my small pedalboard. If it works well, I'll be switching to that.

I'm also working on a dual A/E rig with the Music Man JP12. Since it has dual output jacks, I can run the acoustic out to the Aura and the electric out to the AF. That should be fun, and I'll be using that for certain things live I'm sure.

Last show I did with an acoustic, I used a condenser microphone in front of the guitar.

I don't like the sound of a piezo.

"Did they even have microphones back then, Les?"

"Oh, did I say microphone? I meant megaphone."

Last show I did with an acoustic, I used a condenser microphone in front of the guitar.

I don't like the sound of a piezo.

"Did they even have microphones back then, Les?"

"Oh, did I say microphone? I meant megaphone."
I can understand the desire for the real deal in a studio environment or an unplugged or many live situations, but based on the reaction of the audience so far, I'd say the piezo equipped PRS guitar is a winner. So convenient not having to switch guitars, and blending with mag pups brings such rich new sounds in a live situation.
Can't beat a nice acoustic, properly mic'd in many situations, but for me and my band the P22 is killer live.

Guitar #1, Taylor T5z Custom

xohMXS9l.jpg

Into this, Line 6 G50 (TC Electronic PolyTune 2)>TC Electronic BodyRez>LR Baggs Venue DI>Mixer

iylo8jAl.jpg

Guitar #2, Taylor 814CE Custom

aKZh7b9l.jpg

Into this, Whirlwind IMP 2 DI>Mixer

korQN33l.jpg

I use my Ax8 for everything. I have a preset for my Taylor 814 CE with the "Tube Pre" amp model for just some added warmth, delay and reverb. I have another preset for my P245 SH with again the Tube Pre amp model and an acoustic IR with reverb and delay as needed. Works great.

Taylor 414CE (rosewood back and sides, I think it was a limited edition?) into a Line 6 M13, with my vocal mic also plugged into the M13, into amp.

I don't like playing acoustic shows all that much. The last one I did, I hadn't actually played acoustic for about 5 years prior, but I was offered the spot to open for Pete Francis (of Dispatch), so I took the gig!!! I was less mature then, and for some reason thought it would be cool to play one of the songs that he wrote on their first album. In hindsight, that was SUPER stupid. I sent him an email to apologize, when that revelation hit me like 2 years later. So embarrassing!

Back