What's your favorite non-PRS guitar model? (keep it civil!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s my PRS version since your screen ID is new here (assumption is that you are new here, but we all know what Samuel L Jackson says about assumptions)

One piece curly Koa body, full Braz neck. Stoptail though :) 53/10s sounds epic on this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here’s my PRS version since your screen ID is new here (assumption is that you are new here, but we all know what Samuel L Jackson says about assumptions)

One piece curly Koa body, full Braz neck. Stoptail though :) 53/10s sounds epic on this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mesmerizing to look at. :O

WOW!

This guitars is one of my top 5 guitars in my collection.

It's a tone monster that weighs about 6 1/2 lbs.

It's one of the best sounding, playing and most versatile guitars in my collection.

Here's my '03 Tom Anderson 6120 Tiger Eye Hollow T Drop Top.

25340690218_1476b0a892_b.jpg

Last edited:
Electric has got to be this one. Ron Thorn made 2 of these as Thorn Guitars, and 1 after he went to Fender.
Notice the hubcap etching carries across the pickup covers.
CK_E002_2.jpg

some detail in the etching
CK_DSCN2277.JPG

and matching inlay
CK_DSCN2278.JPG

he only did the single piece of silver wrap around the body of one of the guitars
CK_DSCN2288.JPG

It is a close cousin to his GT which was probably his most popular run - the consummate Tele
CK_599ElsaTop.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I love how your response to a thread title "what is your favourite non-PRS guitar" is photos of the nicest PRS guitar I've ever seen. lol

Ha! I replaced my original bridge with a Tune-o-Matic in 1971. So it intonates. Completely destroyed the value, of course, but, you know. It was 1971. What did I know.

And it was just another used guitar back then...who knew they'd become "vintage" collectibles? I think back to all the early redline HotWheels I tore apart and painted back in the day and cringe.

Acoustics has to be Laskin. Model doesn't really matter. I'm happy to play anything he makes.
He is probably even more famous for his inlays that Ron is.
I saved for a bunch of years to buy a used classical with minimal inlay.
CK_047LaskinFromBottom.JPG

A few year later I came upon a steel string with a modest (by Laskin standards) inlay. That blue/green on the headstock is a single piece of shell, hand cut.
CK_636ArtDecoFingerBoardInCase.JPG

Both have old growth Brazilian back and sides.
CK_655ArtDecoBack.JPG

If you've never seen his more complex inlays, here is a fairly recent example.
CK_071LaskinTopAAA.JPG

And it was just another used guitar back then...who knew they'd become "vintage" collectibles? I think back to all the early redline HotWheels I tore apart and painted back in the day and cringe.

They didn’t have HotWheels when I was a boy. Hell, they hadn’t invented the wheel!

I love how your response to a thread title "what is your favourite non-PRS guitar" is photos of the nicest PRS guitar I've ever seen. lol
Actually, I did manage to post my custom Nik Huber Orca Trem first ;)

Electric has got to be this one. Ron Thorn made 2 of these as Thorn Guitars, and 1 after he went to Fender.
Notice the hubcap etching carries across the pickup covers.
CK_E002_2.jpg

some detail in the etching
CK_DSCN2277.JPG

and matching inlay
CK_DSCN2278.JPG

he only did the single piece of silver wrap around the body of one of the guitars
CK_DSCN2288.JPG

It is a close cousin to his GT which was probably his most popular run - the consummate Tele
CK_599ElsaTop.JPG
Love that Thorn!

Random question from a newbie: Are Knaggs guitars OK around here? Not suggesting they wouldn’t be unless Joe and Paul had some beef I don’t know about, just checking.

Acoustics has to be Laskin. Model doesn't really matter. I'm happy to play anything he makes.
He is probably even more famous for his inlays that Ron is.
I saved for a bunch of years to buy a used classical with minimal inlay.
CK_047LaskinFromBottom.JPG

A few year later I came upon a steel string with a modest (by Laskin standards) inlay. That blue/green on the headstock is a single piece of shell, hand cut.
CK_636ArtDecoFingerBoardInCase.JPG

Both have old growth Brazilian back and sides.
CK_655ArtDecoBack.JPG

If you've never seen his more complex inlays, here is a fairly recent example.
CK_071LaskinTopAAA.JPG
Those Laskins are stunning! The old growth Brazilian reminds me of the ‘shipwrecked’ run I saw at Preston Thompson’s shop down in Sisters OR. Didn’t have the funds for one at the time unfortunately, it played and sounded lovely.

Not nearly as elaborate, my David Gomes acoustic from the Big Island. Woods all sourced locally (except ebony), all inlay is solid shell cut by hand. 12 fret model with cutaway. David builds classical style guitars so the necks are round and the action is low. I had him add the hibiscus on the headstock. There is also shell binding around the entire fretboard edge with trapezoid position markers instead of dots on the top edge. Need to get a photo of it though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

More recently is a requinto 3/4 size acoustic made from curly mango.

7_EEE5_DE7-5222-4315-92_B0-7192_BFBF5423.jpg

80724_BD2-3704-41_E8-_B39_E-_DBED4_FF9_A089.jpg

The now matching ukulele came first

image.jpg

So many good things to choose from. Huber Dolphin has been IT for about 7 years. However, a certain limited edition Rick Turner Model One just may be edging it out.

My custom build Huber Orca 24.75” scale with Spanish Cedar body, old growth Braz neck and Mann Trem. Only got to play it briefly through some old gear at my parents house since all my stuff is in storage during this crazy move....

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

B87081-CE-F1-BF-4-FED-9-EBF-BD63709-C161-C.jpg

9-DFD1162-2-EA8-4859-974-B-FC3-A85-FD1819.jpg

7055-E993-7-EEF-42-D1-9-C53-C53-BA6-CD72-B6.jpg

57-EC6-BEF-47-F5-47-BA-BCA2-DABFFC714-E2-C.jpg
Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back