What's your favorite non-PRS guitar model? (keep it civil!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always drooled over Gretsch guitars, and they were blowing out the Korean built 5622's so I pulled the trigger last week on this Georgia Green beauty:

5p3etfL.jpg

sYjdRxO.jpg

I ran across an early 80's BC Rich Mocking bird used when I was first getting into guitar. I remember it being like $250, but I couldn't afford it at the time. If I could have, I'd probably still have it today:

I remember it looking something like this, except maybe it had the cloud inlay:
ssrxzkcomg4gj5jmwbmw.jpg

After having bought and sold a lot of LP’s looking for a good one, I still dream of a great Les Paul Custom. Mickey, yours makes me drool. I love the faded binding, definitely the look.

Paul, just buy an R9 beginning in 2013 moving forward. I’ve played a bunch and they are consistently good.

I also like the Customs. Here’s a ‘16, and it’s a non-chambered 8lbs, 2oz., which is really light for a Custom. I really like this one and play it a lot.

While I haven't played some really exotic guitars, i've had my share of playtime o Strats and Les Pauls. I
have to say the old Japanese 22 fret Ibanez S540's are the ones I still miss... Especially that 2002 S2120x with piezo that I sold recently... Light, thin, full unplugged sound, great playability, very versatile instruments...

I just noticed a lot of Gibby style and Gretsch style guitars in this thread, glued necks and 24 3/4 inch scale length guitars, hunbuckers as well, love em all!

Wait, they’re still making guitars that aren’t PRSes? :eek:

I hung onto the 1965 SG Special both my son and I learned to play on, about 36 years apart! But I see no reason to play it. It’s the only non-PRS I have, and I only tolerate it in my life because PRS guitars didn’t exist in 1965.

Anyway, it has sentimental value.

My last non-PRS buy was a Mid-‘00s Custom Shop 335. I had it for about two weeks before I said to myself, “WTH did I get this for?” And sold it. But I know the ‘guitar voice’ I want to project, and it’s a set-neck PRS, ‘HOG and maple, and yes I’m so boring.

Last edited:
My custom build Huber Orca 24.75” scale with Spanish Cedar body, old growth Braz neck and Mann Trem. Only got to play it briefly through some old gear at my parents house since all my stuff is in storage during this crazy move....

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

B87081-CE-F1-BF-4-FED-9-EBF-BD63709-C161-C.jpg

9-DFD1162-2-EA8-4859-974-B-FC3-A85-FD1819.jpg

7055-E993-7-EEF-42-D1-9-C53-C53-BA6-CD72-B6.jpg

57-EC6-BEF-47-F5-47-BA-BCA2-DABFFC714-E2-C.jpg

For me, it's a simple Fender Esquire type guitar. One pickup, a 4-way blade, three brass saddles. It's all I need when push comes to shove. Here's a poor picture of my latest....

I need to so a better photo session with this one, but I don't really have an outlet to share it....

Yup, but you forgot the koa fretboard and headstock overlay! :eek::eek: Rio Grande pups. Total package instrument; wouldn’t change a thing.
Using my tiny phone screen on an International data plan, give me a break! Better yet, give me that beautiful guitar! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back