What's your favorite non-PRS guitar model? (keep it civil!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenandaquarter

Let's try to keep it as specific as possible, i.e. Eric Johnson Stratocaster instead of Fender Strat.

I'd say either the Gretsch Billy Duffy White Falcon or the Gibson Johnny A Spruce Top.

Would love for Paul to really dig into the Gretsch side of things one day and see/hear his take on the laminated maple body, Bigsby, Filtertron thing. The Starla and the SC-J are the closest so far, but I feel like he could really refine the Gretsch design and sound and make it more playable and classier. Some people find the Gretsch aesthetic a little cheesy and I totally get it, even though I think it's beautiful.

The Johnny A is just an incredible model and there isn't much in the way of symmetrical PRS body shapes, especially in a hollow body construction. If I could have a Santana Hollowbody with 58/15 LTs, hoooo man!

Hmm... this is a good question, and surprisingly tough for me to come up with an answer. I’ve been so “all-in” with PRS for a long time that I can’t think of much that they don’t already do an iteration of that I love. I suppose something of the 335 style? They have lots of semi hollow (and full hollow) guitars that kind of circle around that theme (unintentionally I think) but none that hit it head on. Although if I had a big room full of all the hollow type PRS guitars, and 335 style guitars, I would probably find a PRS that I liked more than the 335’s.

Everything else, I already have a PRS version that I love. They make a singlecut that I prefer to LP’s, now there’s the Silver Sky for most Strat players, but I have an S2 Studio that I adore more than either, and then there’s the Custom which is a PRS original, and I like that most of all. Perhaps if Fender made Teles (or anything) worth a hoot, that would be in my answer. I did like a Brad Paisley sig I played a while back.

Right now, it’s my custom built catalpa Telecaster Cabronita w/ unpotted TV Jones Classics. Roasted maple neck...man...so great! Goes with my Vela beautifully.

cabronita.jpg

My favorites are those where the guitar itself is special and magical, and the pickups are merely wingmen whose job is “don’t obscure the star pilot”..

In that vein I would say the current Reissue LPs. Play one acoustically and notice how almost supernatural it sounds. It’s unnatural. How do you get a metal string to sound like that?

Martin. I know, I know, it's not electric, but still. I'm dreaming of an HDC-28e. I'm just starting to save up for one of them now.

My Danocaster offset (Jazzmaster style). Full access neck, a neck pickup superior to a Strat (imho), a chimney middle position that gives that distinct punky/indie sound, the best vibrola on the planet (thanks to a staytrem bridge and mastery vibrola), and a body that hugs you and balances well whether standing or sitting. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbHm4EGlpzu/?igshid=bi6wrsp6e7f7

I have an Ibanez AM-83 hollow body that I love for it’s nice tones. It is a very inexpensive axe. I think I got it off Craigslist for maybe $300. It’s pretty and playable.

Used to like my Suhr Classic Pro 50's Tele, until I began to think the tone was less than adequate. Not to say that I'd not like an HS or HH Tele again...@Boogie's Cabronita is a good example...

One of these. I mean, just listen to those sounds! This one's not mine, but I have the identical model in trans red (pretty rare). They can be a little heavy, but that one extra lb. provides some serious tone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back