What's your favorite neck profile?

Wide/Fat, definitely.

Pattern and Regular/Pattern Regular are second... but I prefer the meat on the shoulders of the W/F that Pattern seems to have tapered off somewhat, on average.

I'm pretty neck carve agnostic, but I love the DGT carve. It feels like it just disappears in my hands. Pattern regular and regular next, but I really don't care all that much.

Hand size? My friend told me I have "Billy Barty hands". My wife tells me she feels sorry for me when she watches me play because it looks like I have a hard time reaching things other guys do without stretching.

Pattern thin for me. I don't know what the carve was for Santana SE. I wasn't crazy about that neck, but I think it was more about the somewhat sticky gloss finish and shorter scale length than i'm used to more than the neck shape. (was coming from only 25.5 strats). I was trying out SE customer 24's and S2's but when I tried the CE24, I was sold immediately. It doesn't feel like a strat neck but I immediately loved the carve and satin finish.

With that said, I'm sure If I picked up any Core model I would get used to the shape real quick and might even have a new favorite. :)

I wasn't crazy about that neck, but I think it was more about the somewhat sticky gloss finish and shorter scale length than i'm used

I'll tell you what, I don't know how they do it, but all of my CU's have had a high gloss finish but was, in some way, "silky" if that makes any since. I never got that sticky feeling, even after my hands would get a little sweaty. I am not sure about the technical aspect of it, but I do like the result of their finishing process on the core necks.

I just realized that I don't think I have two of the same profile. My CE is Wide Fat, DGT has it's profile, Hiland has it's profile, and Stripped has Pattern. So I change my theoretical vote.. I guess I don't care.

Last edited:
Pattern Vintage is my fave, but I get along with all the others. I prefer a gloss finish, but unfinished Rosewood is ok, too.

I don't really have a favourite. All 3 of my PRS guitars have a different neck profile - my Custom 24 is Pattern Thin, my 509 is Pattern Regular and my 594 is Pattern Vintage. I assume my HB2 (when it arrives) will be a Pattern Regular although it just says 'pattern' neck. That being said, when I first picked up a 594, that neck felt like a guitar I had been playing for years, if that makes sense, like a well worn pair of shoes that just fits your feet.

I am not a fast shredder so don't need a super flat fret-board with a super thin neck. I am sure if I had a guitar like that, I would become accustomed to it and associate that guitar with that 'feel' and playability but I can go from playing my acoustic to playing my Custom 24 and not really notice the 'neck' because I associate it with that guitar.

I don't know if any watched the PRS interview by Rick Beato and saw Paul switch from his 'Paul's' guitar to a Silver Sky - both different guitars, more so with the fretboard radius, and just play as if it was equally as familiar and comfortable - I am a bit like that. Maybe if I was playing 3hr shows every day and/or trying to shred then I may find I want a specific neck and radius but right now, I can pick up most guitars and play. I don't like super wide necks as classical nylon strung guitars are but I guess if I had one, I would become accustomed to it and associate that feel and playability with it.

Sometimes switching guitars that have a different neck etc makes me play differently, play different thinks. Nita Strauss for example says that people who pick up her Jiva10 Signature Ibanez tend to want to shred and play fast - faster than they normally would or do. She say's it was built for speed - which suits her 'shred' so I can understand why certain necks can change how or what you play and can understand why some may have a favourite based on their style and what they play but as someone who plays for fun and personal satisfaction, I don't have a preference - I think all my guitars feel 'right' for what I do even though they do have a different neck carve. If pressured, I may opt for the Pattern Vintage - but I think that may be more because it feels more 'familiar'.

I'll tell you what, I don't know how they do it, but all of my CU's have had a high gloss finish but was, in some way, "silky" if that makes any since. I never got that sticky feeling, even after my hands would get a little sweaty. I am not sure about the technical aspect of it, but I do like the result of their finishing process on the core necks.

it might have been partially my fault. When I got the guitar I used a guitar polish with buffer pad on a drill to bring out the shine on the body. I also did this on the neck and immediately regretted it as it felt "sticky". But I think that wore off over time and I didn't notice it being sticky - that is until i played the satin finish neck. But I wouldn't be surprised if a high gloss core neck feels silky. I doubt they use the same finish on the SE guitars.

I have and like WF and Santana necks, but my favorite is on my '06 Cu24 AP which I think was then called their 'Standard'(??) neck. I believe it's a hair narrower than a WF and at least as deep (or even deeper), giving it a fast but comfortably hand-filling profile with nice comfy shoulders.

I don't know which of the current profiles match it ... possibly the 'Pattern Regular'?

Regular. My old 2003 gold standard 24 neck was perfect. the 86., 87's I had as well.
DGT seems to be similar.
The W/F isnt' bad at all. I can deal with a W/T but prefer the regular (Pattern regular??) the most.

Back