What's your favorite neck profile?

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I have personally only ever owned PRS guitars with a wide fat or a wide thin neck profile. Never had anything new enough to have switched over to the "pattern" stuff. Nor have I owned any SE's or S2's. But for me, wide fat is the most comfortable. Now, intuitively, you'd think, with my little hands, that the smaller the neck, the better. But, for some reason, that wide fat just seems "solid" in a way that I didn't get from the wide thin. Maybe it was because my main guitar when I was young was a full hollow, 335 type of guitar with a thicker neck. And maybe I just "got used" to that kind of a feel. But it is almost like the support of having a little bit of something resting in my palm is a little easier to work with than if my palm pulls up off of the back of the neck (can you tell I am no classically trained guitarist??) Anyway, This was my old Sukova archtop that I spent a lot of time with in my late teens/early 20's....and a pic of how small my hand is.

Interested you you all's input on neck size and feel.

10308073_10154179625635331_8105661106842979400_n.jpg

50269912_10161275447465331_8168203395199401984_n.jpg

Of the PRS selection, Wide Fat. I've sold a couple of pattern regular because they were definitely not as large of a carve as I like and can get along with. If it was up to me, a 1" stem to stern option would be available. (I know, Private Stock)

Given a choice, I usually go wide fat, but it doesn’t really make much difference to me. If I warm up for a minute or two with some six string chord changes, I’m generally ok.

The Mira has a Pattern Thin, and Sunny has a Wide Fat, but honestly after a couple of minutes of playing, I don't notice the difference. I suppose that if you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd probably go with the Wide Fat.

I’m real particular about the feel of a neck profile. For me, it’s wide thin.

Pattern thin may be ok for me, but I haven’t tried one yet.

I don't notice the profiles as much as string action. I have the old wide thin, pattern regular, and whatever the HBII came with. The wide thin has the lowest (best) and the HBII has the highest. For me they all pretty much feel the same playing wise.

I can adapt to about anything, but my used 2013 Paul’s Guitar is just right from the get go.

I passed on a used Santana II with a neck that was pretty big, even though a few years ago I preferred bigger necks. I can play ‘em, but smaller is more comfortable now in my arthritic rocking chair years.

So my question for those of you who have them, what is the stack up between the pattern necks and the old wide fat and wide thins? How much of a difference is there?

I haven’t tried the Pattern Vintage profile, but I’d probably like that the most. Really enjoyed the version of Wide Fat that was on the SE Zach Myers - more meat on it than the Wide Fat on my CE 22. Also enjoy the Pattern profile on my Stripped 58.

Pattern Vintage is sublime.

In order
PV
Wide Fat
Pattern (a couple seemed larger than the old WF, I moved them along)
Pattern Regular

Takes me a bit to adjust to my PR now, but that ones isn’t going anywhere (Pernie neck)

I can’t get along with Pattern Thin. Shame, there are about a dozen beautiful blue fade WL C24 guitars out there right now but they all have PT necks...but I’m outta cash anyway so it’s all good.

Back