What's your favorite neck profile?

I'm pretty neck carve agnostic, but I love the DGT carve. It feels like it just disappears in my hands. Pattern regular and regular next, but I really don't care all that much...

“...Neck carve agnostic...”

I like that!

Believer in the Paul’s Guitar neck presently, but I back slide and stray often. I have been seduced by all kinds of necks.

Prs Guitars - My favorite neck profile is the one my my NF 3 - Very thin - I think it is pattern regular - Just fits my small hands and fingers very well.
Other guitars - Fender Tele 57 reissue - same reasoning as NF3

I currently own Pattern Regular, Pattern and Wide Fat. They are all so darn comfortable, it’s amazing.

My main guitars since ‘00 have been ‘57 reissue Les Pauls - ridiculously large necks but I guess I’m used to them. But I think the PRS Pattern Regular is my favorite if I have to pick one.

I have personally only ever owned PRS guitars with a wide fat or a wide thin neck profile. Never had anything new enough to have switched over to the "pattern" stuff. Nor have I owned any SE's or S2's. But for me, wide fat is the most comfortable. Now, intuitively, you'd think, with my little hands, that the smaller the neck, the better. But, for some reason, that wide fat just seems "solid" in a way that I didn't get from the wide thin. Maybe it was because my main guitar when I was young was a full hollow, 335 type of guitar with a thicker neck. And maybe I just "got used" to that kind of a feel. But it is almost like the support of having a little bit of something resting in my palm is a little easier to work with than if my palm pulls up off of the back of the neck (can you tell I am no classically trained guitarist??) Anyway, This was my old Sukova archtop that I spent a lot of time with in my late teens/early 20's....and a pic of how small my hand is.

Interested you you all's input on neck size and feel.

10308073_10154179625635331_8105661106842979400_n.jpg

50269912_10161275447465331_8168203395199401984_n.jpg
What year is that 335? Is it a Gibson? That looks like mine and it doesn’t have a thick neck at all. But that doesn’t bother me...neck carve agnostic here, too.

What year is that 335? Is it a Gibson? That looks like mine and it doesn’t have a thick neck at all. But that doesn’t bother me...neck carve agnostic here, too.
It wasn't a REAL 335. It was a Sekova full hollow. The fretboard was more narrow than a lot of Gibsons but the neck itself was pretty thick front to back.

I'm still in the toddler stage of my guitar journey but, if I had to pick a favorite thus far...it has to be the Wide/Fat. I have big ham hands, and it just feels more substansial and comfortable. The way a chunkier neck feels in my mitt makes me happy.

When WT first came out(yes, I'm old ), that was my favorite until I tried a Fat/Pattern a few years ago. Since I have big hands, neck size isn't a concern anymore and never really was(young/egotistical).

Wide Fat or DGT.

I love all things PRS, but I will not use their terms of "pattern" etc for a description of a shape.

Pattern refers to the machining part of the process.

From the 'blurb'...
We currently offer Pattern, Pattern Thin, and Pattern Regular neck shapes on our Core electric models. These came about through a new method we have to design, program, and cut our necks.

When I started building guitars, I carved all necks by hand. Then, when we started production, we went to a duplicarver and finally to CNC machines. With each progression, PRS neck shapes became more and more consistent, but we were still starting with a hand-carved neck which we then programmed to be duplicated. Now, our R&D department has software that we use to digitally create a neck to the exact specifications we want at every point, and from this digital rendering (the starting "pattern"), we are able to program our CNC machines to create great neck shapes. It's a new tool that helps us to get to the same end: a strong, precise, and very comfortable neck. By achieving that, we hope that when you pick up a PRS it feels like home to you.
I hope this goes some way to tell you why 'Pattern' is used to denote a PRS neck shape. Of course PRS will finish the shaping, remove any CNC machine cutting marks with sanding but the starting pattern is used to create the different neck shapes consistently and quickly too.

Pattern refers to the machining part of the process.

From the 'blurb'...
We currently offer Pattern, Pattern Thin, and Pattern Regular neck shapes on our Core electric models. These came about through a new method we have to design, program, and cut our necks.

When I started building guitars, I carved all necks by hand. Then, when we started production, we went to a duplicarver and finally to CNC machines. With each progression, PRS neck shapes became more and more consistent, but we were still starting with a hand-carved neck which we then programmed to be duplicated. Now, our R&D department has software that we use to digitally create a neck to the exact specifications we want at every point, and from this digital rendering (the starting "pattern"), we are able to program our CNC machines to create great neck shapes. It's a new tool that helps us to get to the same end: a strong, precise, and very comfortable neck. By achieving that, we hope that when you pick up a PRS it feels like home to you.
I hope this goes some way to tell you why 'Pattern' is used to denote a PRS neck shape. Of course PRS will finish the shaping, remove any CNC machine cutting marks with sanding but the starting pattern is used to create the different neck shapes consistently and quickly too.

In all seriousness, I appreciate you posting this. Thank you.

That said, I actually knew this, but still take the use of the word "pattern" in this manner as super weird. Unfortunately, while drowning in work while AT work, I can't think of a clever enough word that also would seem oddly out of place if used in another method - but I can't.

I'm just punchy...I love the company, had dinner at the man's house, spent many hours at the factory, been to all of the Experiences, have enough PRS gear to wear everyday (no joke), have stickers on my cars/mugs/computers, spent more money then the GNP of a small country on PRS gutiars, have had my children used in their ads, but DO NOT like the use of the word "pattern". We all have our issues. :D

That said, I actually knew this, but still take the use of the word "pattern" in this manner as super weird. Unfortunately, while drowning in work while AT work, I can't think of a clever enough word that also would seem oddly out of place if used in another method - but I can't.

I'm just punchy...I love the company, had dinner at the man's house, spent many hours at the factory, been to all of the Experiences, have enough PRS gear to wear everyday (no joke), have stickers on my cars/mugs/computers, spent more money then the GNP of a small country on PRS gutiars, have had my children used in their ads, but DO NOT like the use of the word "pattern". We all have our issues. :D

If that's the only issue you have with PRS guitars, then that is testament to them as instruments. Having an issue with the naming of their neck shape is far more preferable to having an issue with their neck shape...

Even if you are aware of the history and naming of the necks, I hope that others who weren't aware will find the video useful.

So you’re saying you’re a poser? :rolleyes:

Wide Thin, as on my Standard 24; and the even thinner Ibby am/artcore neck. My T40 is a great guitar, but its Wide Fat is not my favourite neck.

Back