What's your favorite instrument cable?

I played for a bit tonight, same guitar, same amp but changed cables. They all seemed to sound the same but the PRS was a bit more noisey. It was def. a bit more subseptable to the CFL bulbs in my living room.

Hans said:
PedalBoard.jpg
That's just insane. Seriously insane.

I have a cable from Klotz called the Matthis Jabs Signature Rockmaster, which is 30' long. I need this length to be reach the opposite side of my studio. This is amazing cable. It sounds better than any other cable that I've tried, even shorter cables. I recently had a friend over to jam and I switched his guitar from the Klotz cable to a more common brand 20' and he yelled, what did you do to my sound! We then evaluated all of my guitar cords (about 25 different), mostlly 18' to 20', against the Klotz cable and were simply amazed! The Klotz was so much better sounding, it was almost hard to believe. They are not cheap - over $3 a foot. But step back and think about it - why hook your $3K to $10K PRS (or other) to a $1K to $4K amplifier with a $25 cord?????? It is the only connection between you and your amp. It ludicrous!

The cable is available from a number of PRS authorized retailers. Not sure if there are rules about posting links so I'll have to refer you to Google. I'm guessing that the cable isn't currently on the PRS webstore because they are out of stock but you can check in with Shawn for details.

I've been using a 5m Cordial with Neutrik plugs (one silent jack, one normal) for the last 5 years or so, and it has worked flawlessly. The PRS cable looks interesting, but is very expensive over at the Thomanns website €120+!!), especially when compared to what appears to be the equivalent cable from Van Damme, as shown at amazon.co.uk.

Any idea whether these are indeed the same cables?

Last edited:
When I first got an Evidence Lyric HG cable, I did an A/B with a bunch of other cables I had in the house - George L's, Spectraflex, and a few others. It definitely sounded different/better to me, which kinda bummed me out 'cos I didn't want to buy a bunch of expensive cables, moreover the lack of flexibility is a PITA at the guitar end of the chain. Other Evidence models have since fixed that issue; I still use the HGs to go from my pedalboard (when I use one; that's a whole 'nother tone-sucking adventure that I have yet to completely solve) to my amp.

Anyway, since I've learned to trust my own ears/judgement only up to a point, I dragged my GF up to my studio and subjected her to blind A/B/C/D cable testing. She identified the different cables with 100% accuracy.

Which tells me 2 things: 1) cables DO make a difference; try different ones and listen -- depending on what your rig is and what you want to hear, you will likely prefer a different cable than I do -- and 2) if you want critical listening, grab your GF/wife, 'cos in all likelihood, her hearing is better than yours. (unless of course she's listened to and played LOUD ELECTRIC MUSIC as much as you have!)

I use a red Bullet curly cable to my board, some dimarzio tweed patch cables on board & EVH cable back to Dallas.

Monster Rock in Gold.

I used to have cables die on me left and right - no cable would last more than I week. I tried 'em all. I won't list brands but you can name 'em and I've tried 'em. Monsters are the only ones that last and have lasted me 2 years now and they have a lifetime warranty. But prior to the Monsters I was breaking cables left and right. I think having the big diameter cable and sturdy connectors helps keep me from breaking them. I had to find the same thing for my earbud headphones. Don't know why but for some reason I break them. I'm not that rough on them - it's just with me it seems cables are prone to breaking.

Also the tone of the Monsters I noticed was clearer than what I had used in the past.

I am using Mogami Gold for the pedal patch cords, and also three guitar cables.
Expensive, but they are very quiet.

I've tried a bunch, using monster right now but looking to try something new. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to find something I can count on. Let me know what you're using.

Analysis Plus is what I'm gunning for(the second from the top cable).

I have all Mogami pedal patch cords, and also three of their straight and angle instrument cords.
For as much as they were, I wish they had the silent thing on them.
Never knew cables could have that until I got a "free" one in my Thank You kit for buying my SE Santana.
It is a very nice cable too.

I also have one Planet Waves American Stage cable that makes the click when you insert it.
It seems to be a good cable too.

All of them are better than the noisy cables I used as a youth in the 70s.

Crap, just saw I had posted in this thread a few months back :D

Last edited:
I gotta put in a good word for Bill Lawrence cables. 20 pf/ft. They sound fantastic. Very nice cables and plugs and about half the price of George L's.

Back