What's your favorite instrument cable?

slev

I've tried a bunch, using monster right now but looking to try something new. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to find something I can count on. Let me know what you're using.

I used to have a few Monster, but I think they are too stiff/hard (excuse my English, don't know if this is the right expression). Then I was using PLanet Waves one until the guy I work for got some from PRS. I really like them. They really stand to the road and sounds really awesome, so I got a pair for my rig too.
I think you should at least check them.

I just took delivery on 3 custom cables by Tour Pro Cables. Greg is a cable guru and is absolutely obsessed with materials and assembly technique. Mine are Canare GS-6 cable with Neutrik X-series connectors. Prices are VERY reasonable so if you're used to paying Monster prices, you'll be very surprised. Plus, he turned my order around in a couple of days...even with a connector backorder problem. I gig this stuff weekly and highly recommend you give Greg's offering a look.

Not wanting to derail, but have you considered wireless at all?
I went that route 7 years ago and used the same rig for every practice and gig. Cables just pee me off...
I respect a good cable choice though. Wireless is not for everyone I guess.
Be cool brothers...
:cool:

Thanks for the feedback. Not quite ready to make the jump to wireless but +1 on the feeling about cables in general. Have to check out the Tour Pros and PRS quality speaks for itself. Paul doesn't put his name just any junk. Someone I know suggested ProCo haven't tried those anyone have any experience with them.

I expect cables to work and last ("quality"). I also tend to like cables that are easy to work with physically and fall within a certain range of capacitance ("tone"). For a 10-12 foot run I like something in the 26 - 29 pf/ft and lower that value a touch for longer runs. Since the information is readilly available from them, I typically look at the stuff on the LAVA cable site, both their house stuff and the brands they carry. There are some good resources on their site for comparisons, although I would not get too hung up on their "rankings"...everything there is good.

Does anyone know the capacitance relativity on the PRS cables? I've heard good things about them, but I've got miles of wire already around here.

wilerty said:
Helloooooo ... You should try a PRS cable. They are great and VERY flexable.

I was planning on it. My rig is completely wired up with Monster Cables. The product is decent, but as a company, I dont like them.

I'm really diggin my Planet Waves cables. They sound good, don't get all twisted up, and have momentary switches at the end that let you change guitars without having to turn down your amp.

PRS does offer instrument, speaker and patch cables. Our cables are made for us in the UK by a company called Van Damme. They are a big player in the recording and live music industry. In fact Van Damme recently re-wired Abbey Road Studio B (the Beatles studio) and David Gilmore’s personal floating studio on the Thames with the exact same wire they supply for our cables.

Now I could try to impress you with information about double-annealed oxygen free copper and silver-plated elements, but I’d prefer to let your ears guide you. If both Gilmore and Paul Smith think these are the best sounding cables in the business, I think we may be on to something.

Lately I've been using a few different types of Lava Cables. Clear Connects and Blue Demons.

I also use some Evidence cables - a few I made, a few I bought.

I use Planet Waves solderless cables for my pedalboard.

Shawn@PRS said:
PRS does offer instrument, speaker and patch cables. Our cables are made for us in the UK by a company called Van Damme. They are a big player in the recording and live music industry. In fact Van Damme recently re-wired Abbey Road Studio B (the Beatles studio) and David Gilmore’s personal floating studio on the Thames with the exact same wire they supply for our cables.

Now I could try to impress you with information about double-annealed oxygen free copper and silver-plated elements, but I’d prefer to let your ears guide you. If both Gilmore and Paul Smith think these are the best sounding cables in the business, I think we may be on to something.

Shawn, I'm due for a couple of new cables..... what's the capacitence rating on the PRS cables?

+1 on Mogami.

Specifically the Mogami Platinum Guitar Cable. Kind of on the ludicrous expensive side as guitar cables go, but there is a difference that can be heard. It just has a bit more 'air' on top, more open somehow.

Years back when I had a full-on studio, Mogami actually sent us one for testing and we did a shoot out between that George L, and Monster, and like 5 other cables. The Mogami won out.

However, strangely, this extra bit of 'vibe' or whatever you want to call it, was very very difficult to record, but easy to hear/feel if you had the guitar in your hands. We kicked it up to 192k in ProTools (using 192 i/o clocked by an Apogee Big Ben) and you had to strain to hear it. Spent a lot time with different mics/pres everything and it always easier to hear it in the room and especially playing it.

So the conclusion was that spending the extra $$ was more from a player standpoint to get that little extra 'mojo' than it was anything that made a mega difference if you were gonna lay down some tracks.

(Also of note, this was before the advent / proliferation of PRS cables, and Lava, etc. so I'm interested to give these a whirl against the Mogami.)

I don't know anything about tech stuff when it comes to cables, but those that PRS have are flexible, sounds amazing and do survive to the road. Couldn't be happier.

StevieC said:
Shawn@PRS said:

Shawn, I'm due for a couple of new cables..... what's the capacitence rating on the PRS cables?

Hey Stevie - Our cables capacitance is pF/m <90

I used to think cables were just cables.

Then I saw Mogami Plats had lifetime warranty, you can roll into any GC and show it and they'd replace it. So I decided to check it out. The sound clarity is amazing. Wow. Cable does affect tone.

My friend who's into Heritage Guits . . . he's a big proponent of 'Why buy a 2K rocking guitar when you spend $10 on junk cable that doesn't do the guitar justice.' Like a silver spoon on a paper plate kinda thing . . .

He introduces me to a stiff cable called Lyric HG. I hate it, because it gets too much of the sound. It's gets everything. Even the feedback from your body's magnetic field if you plug one end into the amp and touch the the other end with your fingertips.

Yes it brings out the classic Tele un shieldedness (even though its grounded ) until you touch the strings . . .

The clarity makes the Mogami Platinum seem distant. Don't get me wrong. The Mogami Platinum is a great cable. I'd gig with it. It'd be my number one choice. The Mogami is great because it carries the guitar but not too much detail . . .

But the Lyric HG gets the little inflections my fingernails make on the strings. The Lyric HG forces me to dampen strings on my MIM P bass. Every detail of my wack arse playing and weaksauce that I am is shown in the Lyric HG. The Lyric HG gets every fret squeak and the "sitar" effect when I'm not playing right. But man on my friend's Heritage LP clone, how can it be, that that the clone sounds better than the master mold?

They make those Lyric HG's too good. They capture everything.

Back