What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

What exactly do you all mean by playability?

I think comfort does enter into the equation. I like dalbergia, oiled necks because my hand slides effortlessly. I like "fat" necks (Gibson 59s). I like a low action as long as I can still get "under" the string for bends, and the note doesn't fret out. I like shorter scale lengths because the reach and balance are comfortable to me. When all the elements are right, the guitar just seems to feel and play better.

Last edited:
... the DGT (or DGS) is the "most" playable...

DGT-2_zps370fcbff.jpg
*Drool*

Man, that top...

Same here, it's the DGT that does it for me. While I don't have a problem with one neck carve or the other, it's the DGT carve that lays the best in my hand. Mr. Clean still tops them all. (kinda wish it looked like Aristotle's, though)

mrclean.jpg

My Sunburst 22 (my only PRS atm). However, my guitar that gets the most play is my Les Paul Special. Probably because it cost about 1/3rd what the PRS cost.

IMG_0712_zpsnti9ofw0.jpg

My best sounding is a PRS SC-250 in emerald with Dragon I pickups. My best feeling PRS is a Chris Henderson in Eriza Verde with motor city pickups.

I'll be the guy to ask the dumb question... What exactly do you all mean by playability?

I usually think of it as a combination of things; does it help or hinder you in doing what you want to do? Are your hands comfortable with it, including the neck, the fretboard, and the control layout? Does it feel slick in a good way, and easy to get around on? Does it have an issue somewhere, somehow? Can you get the tones you want out of it?

I think comfort does enter into the equation. I like dalbergia, oiled necks because my hand slides effortlessly. I like "fat" necks (Gibson 59s). I like a low action as long as I can still get "under" the string for bends, and the note doesn't fret out. I like shorter scale lengths because the reach and balance are comfortable to me. When all the elements are right, the guitar just seems to feel and play better.

Yes, I agree with this very much.

My best playing and feel is a 2002 CU22, has 53/10's that replaced the Dragon 2's and is about to get a MannMade 2300. But in truth it is battling the 1993 CE24 I just received off TFC, it has a very nicely worn maple neck.

My Sunburst 22 (my only PRS atm). However, my guitar that gets the most play is my Les Paul Special. Probably because it cost about 1/3rd what the PRS cost.
Sorry, but I don't understand this way of thinking. Following this mental exercise to it's logical conclusion, you would find a used Squier Strat on CL for $75 and play that more than your Special. The cheaper it is, the more it gets played.

In my world, the more expensive it is, the more it gets played. Think return on investment, think better tone, think more satisfying experience, think a thousand things. What you shouldn't think is "I don't want to scratch it". Diamonds were made to be worn; truffles were cooked to be eaten; fast cars were made to be driven; PRSi were made to be played.

I'll be the guy to ask the dumb question... What exactly do you all mean by playability?
Good question and I'm sure there are many variations on the answer. To me it means I pick it up and am compelled to play it, and keep playing it. I've never really considered comfort as part of the equation, but there is certainly an element of that in that I'm going to play it less if it introduces any physical stress - my guitars don't in general. Feel is a big part of it. Some guitars feel like a tool, others feel like an extension of myself. I want to play the latter more.

OK, I think I have a "Playing/Feeling" fave, and it's the new 20th PS.

Today, my hand felt a little stronger, and I was able to feel the love for this neck and the fretboard, frets, scale length, control layout, etc.

Honestly, they're all pretty darn close to one another, but I think maybe this one has the edge for me in touchy-feely stuff. Then again, it's factory fresh with a new-guitar PS setup, and that could be another reason why.

In terms of tones on tap, it's the most stunningly beautiful sounding guitar I've got. Some of the tones are positively haunting (maybe this one should be called The Ghost...no...The Phantom!...ehhh...I'll just keep calling it The Northern Lights Guitar). And I love the other ones I have, so that's saying a lot.

Yet another post of the same pic I always post because Jack's pics are better than mine:

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't understand this way of thinking. Following this mental exercise to it's logical conclusion, you would find a used Squier Strat on CL for $75 and play that more than your Special. The cheaper it is, the more it gets played.

In my world, the more expensive it is, the more it gets played. Think return on investment, think better tone, think more satisfying experience, think a thousand things. What you shouldn't think is "I don't want to scratch it". Diamonds were made to be worn; truffles were cooked to be eaten; fast cars were made to be driven; PRSi were made to be played.

No, I just don't want to take a nitro finished PRS to practice 3-4 times a week in the middle of winter. I love the way my PRS feels and sounds. But, I also love the way my LP Special feels and sounds. If the finish on my LP gets checked from the cold, I don't care as much. The PRS was over 3K, the LP was 1K, so based on amount invested, I prefer to avoid finish damage to my 3K guitar. However, I bring 3-4 guitars to gigs depending on set list and tunings that will be used. The PRS and the LP are always brought to gigs.

It's just a matter of preference.

And as a matter of preference, I would never purchase a Squier Strat :D

No, I just don't want to take a nitro finished PRS to practice 3-4 times a week in the middle of winter. I love the way my PRS feels and sounds. But, I also love the way my LP Special feels and sounds. If the finish on my LP gets checked from the cold, I don't care as much. The PRS was over 3K, the LP was 1K, so based on amount invested, I prefer to avoid finish damage to my 3K guitar. However, I bring 3-4 guitars to gigs depending on set list and tunings that will be used. The PRS and the LP are always brought to gigs.
Thanks for the clarification. I've yet to hear of the nitro finish checking on a PRS but I suppose it might happen. Then again, vintage LP's are eyed with suspicion unless they have checking. Why shouldn't nitro PRSi get the same love? Doesn't it "open up the sound?";)

To the other point, if your playing the Special because it's a great guitar and it has the sound you are looking for in that set list, I got nothing but praise for it! :)

Awesome reply. Even though I'm the guy who keeps the 'good' towels aside for when company comes over while using the old rags for myself lol, I share your sentiment with musical instruments.

The only thing I will never do to it is deliberately abuse it, or allow myself to 'unconsciously' damage it. For example, I just don't grasp how belt buckle rash appears on a guitar - especially a $3000 PRS. It is SOOOO easy to shift the belt buckle over on your hip so you don't damage the guitar....

OK, I think I have a "Playing/Feeling" fave, and it's the new 20th PS.

Today, my hand felt a little stronger, and I was able to feel the love for this neck and the fretboard, frets, scale length, control layout, etc.

Honestly, they're all pretty darn close to one another, but I think maybe this one has the edge for me in touchy-feely stuff. Then again, it's factory fresh with a new-guitar PS setup, and that could be another reason why.

In terms of tones on tap, it's the most stunningly beautiful sounding guitar I've got. Some of the tones are positively haunting (maybe this one should be called The Ghost...no...The Phantom!...ehhh...I'll just keep calling it The Northern Lights Guitar). And I love the other ones I have, so that's saying a lot.

Yet another post of the same pic I always post because Jack's pics are better than mine:

There is one at a local guitar shop in Australia, good excuse to try one out

Awesome reply. Even though I'm the guy who keeps the 'good' towels aside for when company comes over while using the old rags for myself lol, I share your sentiment with musical instruments.

The only thing I will never do to it is deliberately abuse it, or allow myself to 'unconsciously' damage it. For example, I just don't grasp how belt buckle rash appears on a guitar - especially a $3000 PRS. It is SOOOO easy to shift the belt buckle over on your hip so you don't damage the guitar....

I agree. I'm not an advocate of inflicting intentional damage. I couple years ago a friend I have was in a band headlining at a local theatre in Raleigh NC. There was a warm up band on just before them and the lead guitarist was playing a sweet Ce24. At the finale he started twirling around and letting it bump up against the speaker cabs and he even took it off waved it above his head as the crowd cheered. Then he gently slid it across the floor. It was apparent to me he was trying to relic it without causing too much damage. Seemed stupid to me. I'm not a fan of relicing in general, but honest wear is a badge of honor IMO.

Back