What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

Can't get to the photos in photobucket while here in China (they seem to know what is best for me).

Best playing - 2006 Cu24AP (Green in the avatar)

Best feeling - 2007 Cu22 BRW neck (Amber in the avatar)

Haven't found one that was best at everything (adding tone in here as well). They each do something better than the other. It also depends on the kind of music to play. Doing a slow blues, a fatter neck is preferred like the SC. Doing fast solos (not that my solos are all that fast) I'll take the Cu24 or the Mira. Doing rhythm I want the CE22 Standard.

Les,
You have such fantastic ideas to make us forum keeping in touch which things we admire.

My personal experiences with PRS necks are very limited. I own different guitars with different necks over the last 24 years I play electrics.
Starting playing guitar in 1992 PRS ads popped up in guitar magazines I bought (Guitar, Guitar Player, Gitarre & Bass). Astonishing shape, mouth watering tops.

I grew up in Germany, south of Hanover. A PRS guitar trader was in Hanover. PPC. Once my guitar teacher and I took the train to Hanover for some advanced training :)
By sneaking into PRS catalogues I was aware of the different neck shapes available.
Being rookie with one year of guitar lessons, mouth was wide open, standing in front of the CUs with birds. I touched them, but didn´t dare to play. Neither I did with a Parker Fly Deluxe.

Until 2000 I put some money aside which I could spend purchasing a used PRS.
My later sister-in-law played saxophone in a band. Her band leader played a CU24, in - as I imagine - vintage yellow or amber, 10 top quilted. I was sure, my money would convince him selling
me that guitar. Of course I didn´t take care about the neck shape. However. I called him, asked him if he would sell me the PRS. If he could he would, but it has already been sold. He bought a Parker Fly Deluxe. But this guitar feeled too light.
He offered me the guitar, because he wanted to buy a Blade instead. We made the deal. No PRS though but I got a Parker.

Later in 2000 I started my Army career. Attending to some leadership courses in Munich I got in touch with one of my A Level colleagues from grammar school around second half of 2001, who studied in Munich at that time. And he purchased a CU24 in 2000. He played my Parker, I played his PRS.

He had chosen a WT neck profile. I didn´t feel comfy with that neck.
Because of this experience (and lack of money) I remained myself as a watchman on PRS guitars. Ten years later, a lot more assertiveness in my pockets and even more daringness due to my military training. And - surprise - a bunch of money waiting for being spent for something.
Do I need another mountain bike? Nope! What the heck is Dave Weiner showing in this video on YouTube? Locks like a PRS. HSH-configuration? Ah? 5 Singlecoils deliver 13 voicings. OMG!
PRS made the descision easy to me. Only one neck profile available. Like it or die. Core thing is the versatility. Made up my personal spec list: 10 Top, quilted, Black Gold.

In Germany and Europe I didn´t find any matching offer. ebay.com. Not really. But online stores of traders. I snared two PRS as the alternatives to decide between. Descision made, guitar bought.

Before buying such an expensive instrument, it´s my notice, most of us go out to the GCs, stores, and traders to touch and feel a guitar, even if you are uncertain in case of model, neck profile etc.
I didn´t behave like that. The guitar has been shipped in a very short period of time from Colorado, USA to Bavaria, Germany.
Taking it out of the case, laying it on my upper leg, grapping the neck, strumming the strings it was and is like lounching in your very old leather armchair, putting on your best fitting shoes or suit, embracing your best friend.

The Pattern Regular profile with the jumbo frets is perfect to me playing over a long period of time in case of practicing or figuring out some riffs or licks.

Okay: new pics, I don´t mind if I do.

DnHU2oruhNlNIoaonYoJGSjRmSpSg6zODxdBEuyCpyTAAKc_qCjo4635HacDeu_36Jb5UBVmwgA3xjwkkM3-l7tmXTxzEEDVvJ4-cLqe34DBg-XsNowLZEV78A7cGmwNamyHnczCivugUEVwvH948h3_xUGXElZ91vrfTyT-ZR1eK9TT4x8OhRzYzE7xDv8BsYhSUzNaSck2IA68B1Tol4n24_L4unS0VgEw-3jW8PdT5tVnby0bVeT0kg0Q2L_uGHgsN-vkr9yFEeXkc5vjHk6EE4nwJYHZTH-ixnkm7Y9I4htptWO6x_omDZu4_RUMAlBk0fuHquSjXdyly2T3f9nsf-X3LaAmJc5Zh3dlQcz40BCtNuXa27vOeUUjA_e228Gcshd40750koOmHYCfzAwzuovqbsATqeHhMETtCPl9VzvizUajvNCqHQUb9LfNGiq_ORowqj4nNPQJeBpSQQmrp_ZCg5YOe3LPOyd5aTv1zJikH2_MZop2CJUQcugcivy8U2RZgFM3knpTDvSUGLuDBhWmRYPkhi76m1n65mLZ8nwuOMDHjpBFcfiHG01dAEHbBQ=w1292-h969-no

lXgcATKusQENeJ7TshmhBfS-WpKufMwlTEOaE9FD4gVemOu9cGo5QwR_R3tjvaN_zHrnIvkeLWQs_-uKJYx3B6BF9l50K5it_JDM-o9l7MrYZbbX6IUH-Jfu5wi5U3f4eGjB2AKguzosDX0Urc92tpaorkYovY9XQDC6gI9REa675HqhI143xhWIbrUQsP9FCAI182iql8EGHhd-Zz7CvYn47A3EuZmV8KuBIAwN74KLch2EwqInr5AuzJxIi7VEs0MUgIEzrlNTKYvuCijeletvrPxYfo6TLipNWpH8Tq9J6ZFDUZ7Y3z_nXIWfPkrgzs8cpbTK48uKEXvtbgpQ1ukzh6OOykzSH-VlMpJDYr77kk7u7bh1MJMp2yjlmyEs9RWifPfDtQHHALzB1tbVjRRcQ30SZhZKeFOuW5dMbU5UlQNkYzV6l3_5vjNHD37O5c-1vT75MkxNi-yrFdP3aI-TGmaG3-otXYw7XS08nEdI-3uE6O-LjLCkhCEQ2FzxX8pztnPrdqtA49g1Tpb7ZMMayac2BHWaiEAT0yR3Yyqai3kQgtPx6v3yy7RUKi1SOrVzNA=w1767-h969-no

My Avatar guitar "Yenita" a P24 Trem Sig with a Braz Pattern Thin neck...

Getting some serious competition now from "Alessandra" my SH Retro Santana Graphite also with Braz neck...this one in the retro Santana profile...big and meaty like a '59 LP...I guess these two prove I have literally no preference for neck size/Shape. The raw BRW on both of these plays like molten chocolate...mmmmmmmm

I think the control layout has a lot to do with my comfort with these two...this layout is ideal for me.

Best feeling AND playing is probably my IRW-necked Starla...

14112968278_23ed9f4431_b.jpg

14319802283_38f26f4176_b.jpg

Although both my 30th CU24 and satin Vela give it a run for its money. Three different neck woods (RW, maple, mahogany) on three different guitars, but it's all about that finish...

Wow Whitecat, seeing as your 30th is from the same run as mine, sounds like I need to check out a RW neck (actually no I don't - I can't afford another guitar right now)!

Tom

Wow Whitecat, seeing as your 30th is from the same run as mine, sounds like I need to check out a RW neck (actually no I don't - I can't afford another guitar right now)!

Tom

They are pretty ridiculously good. The maple necks that PRS are doing nowadays though is VERY close! It's a feel difference that's probably determined by the porousness of the wood more than anything.

Dangerous road to go down though, you'll start wanting ALL of your guitars to have a neck like these...

So heres the dealio.
I have 3 guitars. SE Custom, Strat, and Bernie. I just got the Bernie last weak. So right now Im equally as comfortable with the strat and SE Custom, and I am a bit more comfortable with those 2. But I like the feel of the Bernie better, yet I dont play it as well, yet. I havnt had time to bond yet. So when its all over I think it will be the Bernie.
When I got to play the used Core 22 over New Years, that was instantly the most comfortable and playable guitar Ive ever had in my hands.
I hope to be able to afford a core someday..............................

That is a 59/09 with virtually a private stock 10 top - as in top 10% of private stock tops!

What a find.
Yes, it was hand picked by Mr. Moss of TGS.ca fame. He had the top glossed as well. Just an outstanding guitar. I almost let it go a few times because I was having trouble with the W/F neck, I'm glad I hung on to it.

Best playing is probably my 30th Anny CU24...

On the complete flip side, my best feeling guitar is my SE CU24, lol... I've had a lot more time to get that feeling right though.

The feel of a guitar can also be affected by its response and resonance. A magic guitar that is ultra resonant and responsive feels wonderful, albeit it may be hard to notice all that with the amp at full blast in a studio.

It's one of those cases of beautiful symmetry in the world - two good things coming to complement and supplement each other.

I agree with this...sometimes when notes literally jump off the fretboard, and the guitar is tonally ultra-responsive, it becomes easy to play simply by virtue of how subtly it responds to one's playing.

In my case, with the PS guitars and that Jack Gretz WL guitar, they're all very responsive that way, though the most amazing one is that new 20th Anniversary of PS guitar. Unfortunately, it arrived just after the problem began to get acute with my hand, so I really can't get the most out of it...yet. I haven't caved in, though. It'll just have to get better so I can play again! ;)

While I love all of the guitars I currently own, I would have to put two at the top just because of their necks. I prefer that feeling of bare wood (or close to it). So, first would be 2013 408 10 Top with IRW neck, followed closely by 2014 Wood Library Cu24 with ebony board and maple neck.

20150513_113630_zpstfgr6tia.jpg

20150513_113705_zpsxuzof5xo.jpg

be12ef98-d219-4970-81cf-5e217a34acd4_zpssxwqddmd.jpg

image.jpg11_zpso31df9bv.jpg

The feel of a guitar can also be affected by its response and resonance. A magic guitar that is ultra resonant and responsive feels wonderful, albeit it may be hard to notice all that with the amp at full blast in a studio..
That is where great amp design makes a huge difference. It's why I'm such a fan of (some) Marshall amps.
Most amps, if you turn them up, you get roughly the same sound regardless of your picking dynamics. Personally I just love an amp where if you pick softly it's nice and clean (including chords), but if you hit the strings hard the amp responds by giving you a nice crunch. The Major had that in spades, and the DSL40c does it quite well too.

That said, while the Strat sounds best thru the Marshall the 408 sounds best to my ears, so far, going thru a Fender Blues Deluxe. The picking dynamics don't change the overall crunch quite like on a Marshall, but the 408 just sounds clear and full and articulate as heck thru that Fender.

I almost hate to admit it, but I think my S2 has the edge. It's the single cutaway guitar I had waited for my whole guitar-playing life. I bought the lightest one I could find (7lbs, 2oz), the shallower body feels great to me, and it balances so well on a strap. The Pattern Regular is a real winner of a neck shape.

That said, the HBII hasn't been set up in many years and still plays great. I'm sure it'll kick even more butt once I get around to doing that soon. My only criticism of the HB is the balance isn't great, which is to be expected in a hollow guitar.

Cool thread!

While I am really digging the satin-finished maple necks on my new CE24 (Pattern Thin) and Wood Library McCarty (Pattern), my all-time favorite feel-wise is still my sometimes-underappreciated 2013 408 Brazilian:

045_zps8f9d4f1c.jpg

Feel-wise, it's just impossible to beat. Solid "standard grade" BRW neck, "artist grade" BRW fretboard - you can just barely feel the grain on the back of the neck, which is cool. Fretboard is silky, frets are perfect. This one is a time-sink for sure!

Despite my own guitars, I played two EBMM Lukes (2 and 3) with roasted maple neck and a 513 RW of friends. Apart from the shape of the body or the layout which have an impact on best playing and feeling, too, I´ll focus on the neck.
I confirm the very silky feeling touching a rosewood neck. It´s like touching... I guess you have got enough fantasy.

My personal collection consits (Okay, my wife´s Epiphone Gibson Les Paul Custom, has been added.) lacquered mahogany necks (PRS, Epiphone), lacquered maple necks (Linus, Ibanez, Max Mauluff (modified Aria/Legend Strat copy), an oiled/waxed maple neck (Duesenberg/Rockinger), and lacquered basswood with a carbon fibre exoskeleton (Parker).

I don´t have the feel that any of my guitars have a cheesy neck finish. To me it´s no difference in speed or accuracy.

But also action, frets and so on are contributions to best playing feeling.
I started playing guitar on a cheap Les Paul copy out of a Japanese plant. But - obvious - I´m more a double cut guy. I like the more ergonomic shape of Strat-type bodies for belly and arm rest. The very extreme is the Parker Fly. Superstrat bodies likewise Ibanez and Duesenberg/Rockinger and the famous and reliable PRS body shape.
My Linus is a custom made guitar with a familiar outline. 15" body. Role model was the NS-15 Signature, but my guitar is different in every other detail. By the way: A SE Tremonti Custom rested in my hands as well, but it has those not very comfy top shape (no arm rest).

If I have the opportunity for spending some money for a PRS in future I´ll chose a double cut again. This is the body shape which I prefer most (And this is not because I communicate in a PRS forum. I´m German. If we have something to scathe, we do :)).

While it has 11's, I just love playing this SCHB I.

hznxpBm.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be the guy to ask the dumb question... What exactly do you all mean by playability?

For some reason, comfort doesn't really enter into it for me. I couldn't tell you which of my PRS have pattern wide, thin, or whatever necks. I don't shred, so maybe that's part of it. Sure, they feel different, but not in a way that I notice after a minute or two of playing them.

In general with me and guitars, the main thing that enters into playability for me is the ability to stay in tune. Nothing worse than needing to re-tune a killer sounding guitar between every song in the set. I love my '61 reissue SG for example...nice and light, and it sounds great. But it goes out of tune if you just look at it. You can try dinking with the nut or the saddles...but in the end, it's a PITA, so it isn't very playable to me.

I tend to like high-ish action (whatever the factory spec is, is always fine by me) so there isn't a big difference there for me.

I will say that I confuse myself sometime playing a DGT live because of the control layout. But that's only if I haven't played one recently. It's actually more logical once I get used to it after a song or so.

So I'm talking myself into saying that control layout may be the biggest thing for me. If that's true, then the DGT (or DGS) is the "most" playable, so long as I play it regularly...

DGT-2_zps370fcbff.jpg

Back