What's up with the F Hole sticker on Mayer's Super Eagle ?

Just playing a bit of devil’s advocate here: why would he be playing the older prototype when he has perfectly good super eagles lying around?

I’m sure PRS would make him more super eagles if he wanted them.

There’s got to be something more to it IMO.
Prototype of a production model perhaps ?

Well, we are all talking about him and the PRS guitars, so the publicity aspect is certainly working! :)

I would imagine that he has the fake F-hole guitar for venues/songs where feedback from higher stage volume is an issue. The sticker could have (would have if it were ME) been applied just to keep the look of the guitars consistent.

It's a genuine f hole, but the hole gets filled in with a piece of rose wood cut to the exact size. So it's still semi hollow. Kind of like Lucille. Semi hollow with no f holes.
Well there ya have it.

Shawn, why does he sometimes use one with the rosewood-covered hole, and sometimes the other with a true hole? Feedback issues vs not? Or just a case of "what the heck, I feel like playing the one today"?

This is the same way we do bound f holes. We cut the f hole into the top and then we cut a piece of wood in the precise shape of the f hole and glue the insert into place. At this point we can carve into the insert, which would result in a bound f hole, or we can leave the insert solid, for a covered f hole. Here's a photo of some figured maple inserts being cut.

IMG_1970.png

Well there ya have it.

Shawn, why does he sometimes use one with the rosewood-covered hole, and sometimes the other with a true hole? Feedback issues vs not? Or just a case of "what the heck, I feel like playing the one today"?

Because he's John Freakin' Mayer! LOL I don't really know, but I suspect it's due to feedback. At least that's why BB King didn't use f holes on his guitar, Lucille

It's a genuine f hole, but the hole gets filled in with a piece of rose wood cut to the exact size. So it's still semi hollow. Kind of like Lucille. Semi hollow with no f holes.
I suppose J”f”M’s Lucille would be known as a “Katy”?!;)

While we're on the topic of Super Eagles...JM seems to exclusively play the first version of the Super Eagle. When they came out with the green model, details on its refinement sounded interesting, but aside from the shows immediately after its release, JM seems to have reverted back to the original version of the guitar. Any idea why?

And now Mayer has switched over to Alessandro modified Deluxe Reverbs for the past two shows, no JMOD amps on stage. Perhaps they had a volume issue ? Or it’s a pro just having fun with new toys ?

And now Mayer has switched over to Alessandro modified Deluxe Reverbs for the past two shows, no JMOD amps on stage. Perhaps they had a volume issue ? Or it’s a pro just having fun with new toys ?
Well when you can... you do I suppose.
JM definitely stated that the SS is at home with a F type amp. No worries.

I think the super eagle was generally developed with the exact purpose of getting Jerry tones. Bobby is already playing a Strat so I expect the Silver Sky was created for JM's solo stuff.

I think the super eagle was generally developed with the exact purpose of getting Jerry tones. Bobby is already playing a Strat so I expect the Silver Sky was created for JM's solo stuff.
“Horses for courses!” ;)

It was. I saw a video with Paul explaining the complicated switching, etc.

Back