What's up with the F Hole sticker on Mayer's Super Eagle ?

DogPhishHead

If you go to around 59 minutes in, during the solo in Brown Eyed Women, you'll notice the reflection of a F-hole sticker...so, he's ditched the semi-hollow Super ?

https://imgur.com/a/FtyhK/

file.php

U3Bgk1v.jpg

Compared to

Z06In4J.jpg

I thought the same thing on the fall 17' tour but when I saw them live, I noticed it was still real and it was just the reflection. But I'm not sure now, last night totally looked like it could have been a sticker

It's not necessarily a sticker -- the Gretsch Country Gentleman is still a hollowbody, they just have the F-hole covered with some sort of covering of some variety. Maybe they still like the F-hole, but don't like the feedback.

If you go to around 59 minutes in, during the solo in Brown Eyed Women, you'll notice the reflection of a F-hole sticker...so, he's ditched the semi-hollow Super ?

I also notice that he doesn't have the arm mounted in the bridge of his guitars. Does he have the bridges blocked or still floating?

Could it be a different Super Eagle without a F hole????
It is indeed a different guitar - look at the subtle direction of the chevron on each.

The question is "why the fake hole?" Or maybe "why the plugged hole?" (Although it doesn't look like a normal plug to me.) I posit that sometimes he gets a better tone with one vs the other, maybe feedback is any issue with the one with the hole at times, so he swaps as he sees fit. But he likes the look, so got a sticker applied.

Or maybe JM is just messing with the world, a joke he thought might not even be noticed.

Seems like a request by John or maybe a prototype for new super eagle. I wonder if they'll read this thread and be surprised that we noticed.

It is indeed a different guitar - look at the subtle direction of the chevron on each.

The question is "why the fake hole?" Or maybe "why the plugged hole?" (Although it doesn't look like a normal plug to me.) I posit that sometimes he gets a better tone with one vs the other, maybe feedback is any issue with the one with the hole at times, so he swaps as he sees fit. But he likes the look, so got a sticker applied.

Or maybe JM is just messing with the world, a joke he thought might not even be noticed.
Gretsch use to do the fake painted on hole thing also, like on thr Chet Atkins Tennesseean.

Yeah, apparently fake f holes is more common than I thought. Josh Farro, former guitarist of Paramore, had a custom Tele that had a fake f hole. His wasn't a sticker though, but rather a tiny partial carve that was painted black.

If that’s not a decal, I’ll eat my hat!

It’s too close to the contour of the body to be anything else!

If someone follows JM on instagram, message him and ask. I’m sure he’ll tell all, he seems to like to share information.

It was noticed last year. He has been using it every since. My guess its one of the original prototypes that he liked and they use the paint or sticker as to not hurt the feelings of people who paid 10k+ for that guitar.

It was noticed last year. He has been using it every since. My guess its one of the original prototypes that he liked and they use the paint or sticker as to not hurt the feelings of people who paid 10k+ for that guitar.

Just playing a bit of devil’s advocate here: why would he be playing the older prototype when he has perfectly good super eagles lying around?

I’m sure PRS would make him more super eagles if he wanted them.

There’s got to be something more to it IMO.

Back