What's the story with the CE-3 model?

There is no such thing is pre-/post-factory PRS, not at least what we think of when we think PRS. That is nothing more than misinformation spread by the now deceased Ed Roman. There are pre-Stevensville guitars, but the shop on Virginia Street in Annapolis was very much operated like a factory. The move to Stevensville gave PRS more operating space. The West Street guitars are the only true pre-factory guitars. That means pre-1985 to most people.
Thanks for the clarification, I remember going to Ed’s shop in CT. and was in awe at how many PRS’s were hanging on the wall. He sure liked selling them lol.

I still have the PRS hang tag for my 1990 bolt-on (in my avatar) and it actually states CE-3. I am not sure why, it is a full alder body (2-pieces) with a serial number in the 2500 range. This would have been the third year of production and it did not have the PRS logo on the neck plate, just the serial number (the logo was added to the neck plate sometime in 1991, I think between serials 4000 and 5000.

I am not sure what the reason is why some earlier models were referred to as CE-3, maybe the ones with no maple cap? Who knows... I don't think there is any difference with the CE-3, they are now retroactively all referred to as CE24. The one pictured above is definitely a 1995 CE24.

Who bought it? Just went in to buy after talking to the shop earlier. Enjoy F@ker! Lol
Somebody got a rad guitar. MGR is a good place to spelunk for treasures. I had one near me where I used to live in Louisville, KY and it was like visiting an animal shelter - you'd always find something interesting. My problem is that I play drums, bass, guitar, keys AND enjoy recording. Hard to NOT find something.

Wait...is that a CE 22 body combined with a CE 24 neck or vise versa?

My 97s neck heel is 1 and 3/8 inches above the body at the center/highest point.

My bridge is 6 and 1/8 inches from strap button to D and G intonation screws.
This information is according to my luthier, who used to work at the factory. Fairly early on, PRS started noting a dead spot on the d and g string near the 12th fret. The decision was made to lengthen the heel slightly to strengthen the neck and get rid of the dead spot, wherever it was. I have an early EGlll with a short heel and a 22 fret neck. There are no dead spots. I had heard that it was a problem specifically with the 24 fretters. does anyone have an early 24 fretter, and could comment?

This information is according to my luthier, who used to work at the factory. Fairly early on, PRS started noting a dead spot on the d and g string near the 12th fret. The decision was made to lengthen the heel slightly to strengthen the neck and get rid of the dead spot, wherever it was. I have an early EGlll with a short heel and a 22 fret neck. There are no dead spots. I had heard that it was a problem specifically with the 24 fretters. does anyone have an early 24 fretter, and could comment?
Yeah I know about 2 types of neck heel and this one seems longer than the usual long heel but as I said earlier, maybe it's just the camera angle idk. :)

I still have the PRS hang tag for my 1990 bolt-on (in my avatar) and it actually states CE-3. I am not sure why, it is a full alder body (2-pieces) with a serial number in the 2500 range. This would have been the third year of production and it did not have the PRS logo on the neck plate, just the serial number (the logo was added to the neck plate sometime in 1991, I think between serials 4000 and 5000.

I am not sure what the reason is why some earlier models were referred to as CE-3, maybe the ones with no maple cap? Who knows... I don't think there is any difference with the CE-3, they are now retroactively all referred to as CE24. The one pictured above is definitely a 1995 CE24.
Interesting, never heard that before. Thanks.

I am going to venture a guess that the neck heel looks longer because they neck may be a different carve? CE 24 was also available with Regular Neck carve. I vaguely remember hearing somewhere in a review video (maybe from Paul himself?) that the semi-circle shape you see at the heel is flatter for wide-thin carve, and more circular for regular or wide fat, making the heel look longer. Just a theory...

Imma sit this one out. Saving up for the Custom 24 I want.

Have at it: https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...ul-reed-smith-prs-ce-3-electric-guitars-black

EDIT: Man, somebody hurry and buy that. Dang that subtle figuring on the top is touching me in my bathing suit area.
I have a CE-3 because the tag from PRS says so. I was looking for information about the model and couldn't find ANY! The I found this awesome PRS forum where people are saying they do not exist. They do exist! From why I can tell they were produced in early 96 at a minimum as I've seen 2 other tags in addition to my own online. Peace.

Hey everyone - first post!

They were certainly produced before 1996 because I bought one in 1992. Still have the hang tag, which says CE3, and CE3 is handwritten underneath the pickup on the body. A bit of an interesting serial number on mine as it begins with a “1” (signifying made in 1991) but the numbers after are 7477x (x is a number) which indicates 1992, as per the PRS website. The hang tag has a date of January 14, 1992, so it must have been constructed right on the cusp of new years.

Best I can recall the CE3 was the most basic of the CE models. Dot inlays. Mine has the wide/thin neck and I recall there being a a standard neck option. Also has a solid body with no cap. Don’t know if the neck choice made it a CE3 or not. My very faded memory is that it was the lack of birds and no maple top that made it a CE3.

What is nice - about mine at least - is how well it aged. It’s a tobacco sunburst guitar and the black edges slowly wore, revealing the wood beneath just along the top edge of the body. The tuners have a nice vintage patina about them with a little bit of corrosion on the locking screws on the tuners.

Hey everyone - first post!

They were certainly produced before 1996 because I bought one in 1992. Still have the hang tag, which says CE3, and CE3 is handwritten underneath the pickup on the body. A bit of an interesting serial number on mine as it begins with a “1” (signifying made in 1991) but the numbers after are 7477x (x is a number) which indicates 1992, as per the PRS website. The hang tag has a date of January 14, 1992, so it must have been constructed right on the cusp of new years.

Best I can recall the CE3 was the most basic of the CE models. Dot inlays. Mine has the wide/thin neck and I recall there being a a standard neck option. Also has a solid body with no cap. Don’t know if the neck choice made it a CE3 or not. My very faded memory is that it was the lack of birds and no maple top that made it a CE3.

What is nice - about mine at least - is how well it aged. It’s a tobacco sunburst guitar and the black edges slowly wore, revealing the wood beneath just along the top edge of the body. The tuners have a nice vintage patina about them with a little bit of corrosion on the locking screws on the tuners.
Welcome Crimguy!
Please post some pics when you can!
We‘d love to see it.

The CE-3 is the 24 fret guitar before they made the CE22. When they started the CE22 they changed the CE3 to the CE24 to distinguish the difference between the two models. I had a 1990 CE-3 and it was the best sounding PRS I've every had. Alder Body, Maple top. The neck was VERY thin almost Ibanez Wizard but not quite. One of my top 3 gear regrets.

Agreed the neck is very thin. Not to my liking really but when I was young I translated “thin” to mean “easier to play”. Nowadays I much prefer the thicker necks.

Back