What's the story with the CE-3 model?

Gnarmageddon

So an online listing popped up in my path (isn't that always the way?) for a PRS C-3 used in the 1200 range. I'm new to PRS and, beyond the basic models and a few artist editions, I really don't have a deep knowledge of lineage, etc. There's so little out there on the web that you'd wonder if it was even a thing. What I can tell is that it's an older model and it looks like the precursor to the ce-24 (which is what I have, my first and only PRS). I noticed in the photos there is no hand-lettered SN - so this is clearly old(er), or a Chi-RS (I'm trying that name out to see if it sticks a la 'Chibson').

So the two questions are one, if anyone's more familiar with this model, the years it was made and where, etc. And the second is if there's any reason it's noteworthy or worth snapping up aside from I love my ce-24 and would love to have a similar model as a backup. I read on this very forum that, when it comes to PRS, older doesn't mean better - and that the quality, design, components, etc., have been steadily improving and evolving (which does make sense).

I really should put my wallet away and keep saving up for "the real one". My wife promised I can order one custom to spec for my 50th birthday (which means we'd need to order it in the coming months), so maybe better to hold off for a PRS that is truly one-of-a-kind. But it's hard to say no with the used market, provided I can verify it's not one of the gazillion counterfeits that are popping up everywhere. Gotta say, that deep deep black with just the mildest hint of curly wood figuring underneath is pretty darn sexy - I'm not personally gaga for the crazy bursts, super burly-curly topwoods, and big colorways.

41111-S000078629-1

41111-S000078629-4

41111-S000078629-5

CE, Classic Electric. They made CE-22's and CE-24's that being the fret count. Early CE's had Alder bodies with maple caps also many variations like a Standard which was all Mahogany and on and on pickups, birds all kinds of variations. Well loved here on this forum and for good reason. They reintroduced them in 2016 BUT pretty much a different take, Mahogany bodies with maple caps, no violin carve just a beveled top (think like S2's) not bad by any measure just different.

Oh and the serial number is on the neck plate on the guitar you posted pictures of. Set necks have it painted, impressed into the back of the headstock.

So the "C-3" is "a thing", it just predates ce-22/24 as a model number? Info out there on the world wide webster is scant.

And it sports wings. Probably shared d&g tuners
Some love m some hate m

Appears to be a beautiful 1995 CE 24. Whatever year it is, it's *seems* totally legit and if it's in the right condition and if I had the cash, I'd snag it. Winged tuners, rotory switch, core body carve, these are the best CEs imo.

Edit: and it has bloody birds to boot! Also appears to have barely been played since there's no brass showing on the saddles. I have a 97 in a transparent black that has better wood grain but has dots rather than birds. If you don't want it let me know where it is and maybe I'll buy it.

Cheers!

Edit 2: something looks wrong with the neck heel. My 97 is shorter than the lower bout, the one pictured is taller. I know mine doesn't have the short heel like the earliest necks, so this has me puzzled. Perhaps camera angle, idk but weird. I still *think* it's legit.

Edit 3: are you Fn kidding me? I can't post a picture from my phone! Am I doing something wrong or do I really need to use a photo sharing site to post pics? If so, post pics I will not. Just wanted to show the difference in the heel of my CE compared to the 1 op posted. If a sharing site is required then this is absurd...

Last edited:
Wait...is that a CE 22 body combined with a CE 24 neck or vise versa?

My 97s neck heel is 1 and 3/8 inches above the body at the center/highest point.

My bridge is 6 and 1/8 inches from strap button to D and G intonation screws.

I believe at some point they changed the heel, possibly pre/ post factory. Others here may have more accurate info.
There is no such thing as a pre-/post-factory PRS. That is nothing more than misinformation spread by the now deceased Ed Roman. There are pre-Stevensville guitars, but the shop on Virginia Street in Annapolis was very much operated like a factory. The move to Stevensville gave PRS more operating space. The West Street guitars are the only true pre-factory guitars. That means pre-1985 to most people. Any guitar made pre-1985 is technically a Paul Reed Smith, Luthier guitar.

Last edited:
Back