What's the pot friction like on recent SEs?

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
I'm kinda interested in maybe acquiring the new Zach Myers, and it got me thinking about SE pot friction.
My only SE with stock pots is a Korean 2014 Custom 24, which has the old hard-to-turn volume and free-spinning tone that seemed to be the norm.

So, for those with recent SEs, particularly the Indonesian ones, how do the pots turn?

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding smart-aleck-ish...clockwise and counterclockwise...? o_O

Srsly, my HBII Piezo has no issues whatsoever...turns easily, doesn't spin freely, though, doesn't resist turning...

What do you hope to accomplish with this? Free up your volume knob's resistance to turn?

Is this a new Zack Myers, or something older? If older, try pulling the volume knob and spraying some WD-40 on the pot (be careful to not get any on the finish), then try loosening up the pot by rotating it a few times. Should work, if not check, with PTC?

At the risk of sounding smart-aleck-ish...clockwise and counterclockwise...? o_O

Srsly, my HBII Piezo has no issues whatsoever...turns easily, doesn't spin freely, though, doesn't resist turning...

What do you hope to accomplish with this? Free up your volume knob's resistance to turn?

Is this a new Zack Myers, or something older? If older, try pulling the volume knob and spraying some WD-40 on the pot (be careful to not get any on the finish), then try loosening up the pot by rotating it a few times. Should work, if not check, with PTC?
Sorry - to clarify, I haven't bought a ZM - I'm considering. And curious what friction is like on the pots these days. The stiffness of the older SE volumes was widespread.

I've edited the original post to be clearer, sorry @CandidPicker!

I would not spray WD-40 inside a pot. Not an electrically-friendly product, and you’ll probably attract more gunk in the pot than you would normally. Contact cleaner yes.

If you want free-spinning pots, Bournes pots are the way to go (that’s what EVH-branded pots are) - super light turning resistance. A quick-and-easy replacement.

I would not spray WD-40 inside a pot. Not an electrically-friendly product, and you’ll probably attract more gunk in the pot than you would normally. Contact cleaner yes.

If you want free-spinning pots, Bournes pots are the way to go (that’s what EVH-branded pots are) - super light turning resistance. A quick-and-easy replacement.
Yeah, I use Deoxit for that.

To the original q, I'm curious if I'd have to replace the pots on a new SE or if they spin better these days.

To the original q, I'm curious if I'd have to replace the pots on a new SE or if they spin better these days.
I seem to recall a semi recent post from a new to PRS player. He was complaining that the pots spun too easily.

I wouldn’t let the pots be the deciding factor, if you like the guitar. Think of them like strings - if you don’t like what comes on the guitar, change them (literally, for the cost of a couple of packs of strings.)

Pretty much have no issues with the pots on my SE's. It appears they are all Alphas, which you know....theyre fine. The audio taper isnt to everyone's liking, but the same can be said for CTS or Bourns. I experience no issue with scratchiness or bad soldering, everything looks spot on. Honestly, I don't think about pots much. If I have a harness made for me or if I feel bold enough to try soldering one together myself, sure I'll use higher end parts, but in the end it either turns or it doesn't. If it turns, rock on.

Back