What's the oldest model year guitar you currently own? Oldest PRS?

Here's my entry in the 'see how far we can spin the thread off topic' game... A Laser dinghy. Current Olympic equipment for both men and women. For such relatively cheap and simple boats (mine's an old lady now) they're amazingly fun to race. Wild once the wind gets up too! Re guitars - I've sold a lot of the ones I used to own but still have some Japanese thing from the '60s. I've also kept the remains of a '70s Strat I bought years ago (terrible guitar) plus a a Les Paul, Strat and two PRS, variously made between 1985 and 1989.

IMG5189.jpg

Last edited:
Love 993s - and the older air-cooled cars in general. Prices over here doubled almost overnight a few years back so the money I'd saved for a 993 ended up being 'invested' in some more guitars. I'd still love one if they ever return to more affordable levels.
Even here in the States, the 993 prices have gotten pretty salty. Mine is due for a paint job (the track is brutal on them) but still looks pretty good from 10’ away...despite daily driving it for 8 years a few years ago. And since mine is a C2S with the wide a$$ and whale tail, it makes me fall in love all over again every time I look at her from behind. :cool:

Even here in the States, the 993 prices have gotten pretty salty. Mine is due for a paint job (the track is brutal on them) but still looks pretty good from 10’ away...despite daily driving it for 8 years a few years ago. And since mine is a C2S with the wide a$$ and whale tail, it makes me fall in love all over again every time I look at her from behind. :cool:

I could see it was a wide-body but wasn't sure if a Turbo or S. Love the S versions - super cars. I think the air-cooled cars have something special about them. Enjoy:)

The car element of this thread amuses me. My brother-in-law would have a field day - he has owned or plans to own pretty well every variation of sports or luxury car out there, he's a real car fanatic.

Me, I drive a Honda Pilot, because I gig regularly and run sound at festivals, and putting anything beyond a guitar and small amp into a regular sedan, much less those nice toys I see above, is not possible.

I used to own an Acura (Honda) RSX (Integra), a really fun sporty car that works as a daily driver, but I traded that in along with my CR-V for the Pilot 13 years ago. Pilot is still going strong...knock on wood.

Anyway...back to the OT:

As mentioned previously, my oldest PRS is my newly acquired 1990 CE. I wouldn't mind picking up something a bit older just for the PRS history, maybe a 1986 or 87. What should I look for? Just a classic CU24 with birds?

What should I look for? Just a classic CU24 with birds?

As it turns out, I've been looking at "yellow" PRSi for quite a while (VY, Santana Yellow, Honey), since I quite enjoy that part of the color spectrum (so I cannot say "yellow makes me sad").

And it is a color missing from my rainbow of PRSi.

OK, I now have a post-Experience target acquisition to consider. Thanks @sergiodeblanc !

If anyone sees a pre-1990 for a fair price, let me know...

My oldest guitar is a 1955 Telecaster. Up until about 2 months ago I had 3 80's CU24s, an 86, 87, & 89. Now my oldest PRS is a recent Private Stock CU22.

Oldest PRS - 2008 Hollowbody - Have had new frets put in once (due to wear & tear) & it still gets a lot of playing time
Oldest guitar - 57 Tele

I drive a slightly less exciting car than some of you but it allows a bigger gear budget. The ultimate practical commuter vehicle, a Toyota Camry.

klnegHPh.jpg

Rmw90Mzh.jpg

Um1ZBx6h.jpg

8EImxuNh.jpg

I have been a Camry guy for years. I never viewed a car as anything more than a means of transportation, so always went for cars that are easy/cheap to maintain and get reasonable gas mileage. Prefer to spend $ on musical equipment.

My wife spotted the sticker in the window and says, "GO BADGERS!"

Outstanding. My wife and I are UW grads. The athletic department sends me one of those window decals every year after I pay my mandatory "donation" for being a season ticket holder for football & hockey. The other side has a Miami University decal because my daughter and most of my money goes there to pay her out of state tuition. Life is good.

Outstanding. My wife and I are UW grads. The athletic department sends me one of those window decals every year after I pay my mandatory "donation" for being a season ticket holder for football & hockey. The other side has a Miami University decal because my daughter and most of my money goes there to pay her out of state tuition. Life is good.

Sweet! I'm a Hawkeye, the Mrs is from Kenosha and went to UW-Parkside. She's always been a big Badger fan.

Sweet! I'm a Hawkeye, the Mrs is from Kenosha and went to UW-Parkside. She's always been a big Badger fan.

I've been to some Badger football games in Iowa City and it's always a great atmosphere. One of my favorite Big Ten schools to travel to.

I've been to some Badger football games in Iowa City and it's always a great atmosphere. One of my favorite Big Ten schools to travel to.

Yeah, lots of fun. Touching now, too, with the wave to the kids in the hospital. One of the best traditions going on, even though it is only a year old.

I'm not much of a vintage guitar guy, so my oldest isn't really old, but it is the first "nice" electric I ever bought new. 1976 Gibson Custom Black Beauty:

The oldest PRS I have is an '89 Signature:

Oldest is a 1960 Strat, oldest PRS is a 2000 Custom 24.

I have a 1947 Supro, a 1950 National New Yorker, a 1952 Fender Champ and a 1955 Magnatone Student, all lap steels. As far as regular guitars, a 1970 Gibson SG Jr. and a 1970 Gibson SG Special, and a 1975 Fender Stratocaster. The list goes on and on. My oldest PRS is a 2007 Koa McCarty. I plan to add a PRS from the late '80s or early '90s with a sweet switch, among several others. My daughters think that it is time for an intervention. The amp addiction is even worse!

Reactions: CVS
Back