What's It Like To Be A Great Musician?

love that interview ,it's the 3rd time it's been posted and I'm glad. Mahavishnu is so amazingly gifted yet humble . His pearls of wisdom are always an inspiration as is his playing.

When I first began playing guitar seriously almost 50 years ago some wise man said " the guitar is an instrument you can learn in an afternoon , but will take the rest of your life to be good at .... " Amen to that in my case

Last edited:
I dunno.

But I know I couldn't survive being a touring musician.

Super human hard work and hard to stay healthy.

I just wouldn't have the stamina or the will to muscle up and tour for a year...with anyone!
Just observing my son's life on tour, it's not an easy thing, even if you're getting first class accommodations and flying around in private jets like the 30 Seconds to Mars tours. He's plenty wiped out after a tour is done.

30 STM made time for daily exercise, healthy food, no drink or drugs, etc, as does The Academy Is, who he's toured with recently. So it can be done sanely. Still exhausting, no doubt.

I'd love to have done it while I was still young enough to!

It's The Same For Any "Job" Where You Have To Travel. It Isn't Easy And It Isn't For Everybody. The Older You Get The Harder It Becomes Although With The Time And Experience You Learn How To Travel "Right" And You Become Far More Efficient, Etc. I Have Been On The Road A Lot As A Musician, Athlete And Businessman. It Can Certainly Wear On You, Especially If You Are Undisciplined And Don't Take Care Of Yourself.

Just observing my son's life on tour, it's not an easy thing, even if you're getting first class accommodations and flying around in private jets like the 30 Seconds to Mars tours. He's plenty wiped out after a tour is done.

30 STM made time for daily exercise, healthy food, no drink or drugs, etc, as does The Academy Is, who he's toured with recently. So it can be done sanely. Still exhausting, no doubt.

I'd love to have done it while I was still young enough to!
I remember an interview with Steve Vai talking about his first tour with Zappa.

Vai got super sick almost immediately.

The show must go on.

Had to do shows with a vomit and diarrhea bucket hidden on stage!

No thank you.

Last edited:
Back