What's a Guitar to You???

Since the very first time I even saw a guitar, at about age 5 on television, I knew there was something magical that I needed in my life. My grandmother used to try to discourage me. Nothing was going to stop me, and after months of slogging around delivering newspapers, the Wards acoustic finally arrived in the mail. It was barely playable, but I was permanently hooked. I’m over 65 now, and I still have that fascination every time I pick up one of my PRS. I still can’t play what I want to, and I’ve learned that the guitar is the master, and I’m the happily indentured servant. It’s a lifetime obsession that I’m very happy with.

For me...

Its becomes an extension of who I am and an expression of what I am feeling.

Its my pencil and paper or my canvas and paintbrush.
Its my camera and a beautiful scene.
Its a wrench and a hotrod project.

Its an outlet to pour myself out, whether I am happy or I am sad, although I have never felt unhappy while playing.

It allows me say what I am feeling with music.

I dont know what I'd do without guitar.

Guitar will always remain a hobby for me and I've learned to be okay with that. I strive to keep bettering my playing, but I've also made peace with knowing I'll never play Wembley or the Hollywood Bowl. It's a hobby that gives me great satifaction and sometimes extreme frustration and that's okay as well. I've learned to appreciate the days when music just flows and time all but disappears and not to stress too much over the days when it's better just to put the guitar back on the wall and walk away.

I'm all in on the meditation, personal relaxation, stress reduction camp. Plus, they're cool to look at!

I must be the opposite. The other night I had the Archon fired up and after 45 minutes of playing, I walked into the living room. Mrs. DTR (not her real name) says "what are you doing back there that you're sweating like that?" A- "jammin!" She already knew though. Trust me, she heard it. :)

I must be the opposite. The other night I had the Archon fired up and after 45 minutes of playing, I walked into the living room. Mrs. DTR (not her real name) says "what are you doing back there that you're sweating like that?" A- "jammin!" She already knew though. Trust me, she heard it. :)
More like, “honey, it’s mine and I can wash it as fast as I’d like” :p

I’ve come to this thread several times, enjoyed the responses, and said “yes, that’s right!” to many of them. It seems a simple question, but I’ve had some difficulty in distilling it down to a short, direct summing up of what a guitar is to me.

Whatever it is, I like it.

I’ve come to this thread several times, enjoyed the responses, and said “yes, that’s right!” to many of them. It seems a simple question, but I’ve had some difficulty in distilling it down to a short, direct summing up of what a guitar is to me.

Whatever it is, I like it.
Maybe because for you it's similar to how it is for me. It's a lot of things. Can't sum it up with one "here is what it means to me" comment.

Lovers, to be held and caressed, to let hold and caress in turn, when days are dark or far too bright.
They give and receive that which lies deep within.
And, the Mrs doesn't mind, too much. ;)

Last edited:
Those few guitars that I am fortunate enough to own that exhibit special tone, resonance beauty and rarity (wood species/special figuring etc) all in one single guitar, are sacred magical artefacts to be put on a pedestal.

Simply because when stars align amidst a rainbow, we should be conscious of it and enjoy the beauty of it all.

Other guitars, I see as happy tools and extensions of the music in my mind. Dementia prevention wards.

Last edited:
First, Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

And every reply here sums up what a guitar is to me...
Unfortunately most recently, Frustration. With a left wrist issue, which turns out is most likely arthritis. I used to wonder how my mom would say it hurt so much. Ok, mom, I get it now.

A place to go to forget about everything else. My wife will send me downstairs if I seem crabby. And even if I dont play it, I still come upstairs a new man. I just changed strings on a 513 and polished it. So gorgeous! (Thanks again, PRS and crew).

A memory (like EVERYTHING music) where I'll make a sad attempt at any song I enjoy , and inevitably just throw the CD in and listen to how its SUPPOSED to sound...

And incredibly Thankful it led me to you buncha knuckleheads. I really love it here!

Thanks for listening,
Bill.

Back