What's a Guitar to You???

Rockmark

Is it a tool you need for your career? Is it an instrument to make you feel good and happy and centered while playing it? Do you use it to get away from everything else and focus. Or maybe just an ornament, nice wall hanging. Or ornate playable art like Dragons etc. For me it's an instrument these days to conduct my hobby of just loving guitars. I love to play em, work on em and look at the special ones hanging as art. I like to collect the rare runs and enjoy the workmanship. How about you?

Its something to tinker with.
Its something to start a conversation with.
Its something to share with a friend.
It is an old friend.
Its a lot of things to me. But....

It is not a toy
It is not a tool
It is not a wall hanger.

I may not play them everyday, but i do play them, all of them. I learn something new each time I do.

What ScottR and Veinbuster said. It really applies to music as a whole, but my guitars are my gateway to getting myself recentered. When I have a bad day a work, my wife will sometimes say, “Go downstairs and play.” When I get locked in, I play for 10-15 minutes and three or four hours have gone by. When I’m working on learning something or if I’m recording, I just get lost in it. It’s such a great feeling.

It’s been years since I’ve had a bad bout of depression, but when I did, I couldn’t even touch a guitar. It was a seriously dark time for me, and when I started having hand problems a couple years ago, I really started to wonder what would happen if I couldn’t play anymore. Could I be happy just playing slide? I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

Guitars - and music - are my sanctuary.

Guitars...
They mean many things to me.
They are a pleasure. I pick one up and the regular BS melts away.
They are an adventure. I think or hear of something, and that makes me want to play.
They are tools. At practice or a gig I love how they play. Super enjoyment.
They are beautiful art. I love the look and feel. PRS are the apple of my eye.
They make me want more.

I started playing in my 1st rock band in 1980.

I played hard rock for about 8 years before I moved over to country, and finally country/rock music.

While I was playing I only had a hand full of guitars at my disposal.

I always wanted to own a lot of different guitars so I could have different brushes to paint with.

After playing 28 out in public, I finally retired from playing in '09.

Since I quit playing out, I've built up quite a nice guitar collection I keep in my home studio.

I pretty much have just about every guitar I'd really like to own and I'm pretty satisfied right now.

I continue to keep my eyes out for my next guitar, because there is always something out there.

Last edited:
A hobby among other hobbies, and means of working out my feelings in music.

Sometimes guitar practice takes the place of exercise, but counts as exercise itself. As much as I'd say it involves play, it is more 'work' than 'play.' Although noodling falls somewheres between trying ideas and mindless finger exercise. The reason it is considered a hobby, is because I don't get paid for a hobby, instead it costs me money to sustain my hobby. If it were work, I'd get paid for my work. I don't get paid for playing music as a hobby.

Lately they have been a source of frustration. Usually they provide me with some time to myself to decompress. Not quiet time, but some me time. It’s nice that I have something for me since everyone else is usually requesting most of my time.

Back