What would you do?

I’m going to do it. You make a good point that I can always sell it later if it doesn’t resonate with me (see what I did there). I will keep looking for a 2x12, especially if it is a big mouth, but this is a good starting point.

Thanks everyone for posting. Appreciate your insight.

I’m going to do it. You make a good point that I can always sell it later if it doesn’t resonate with me (see what I did there). I will keep looking for a 2x12, especially if it is a big mouth, but this is a good starting point.

someday your kid buckethead ii will appreciate it. if paisley ever comes back.

Did you get it?

I love my Marshall slant cab 4x12 , rich ,warm and handles anything .... that being said the DG30's 2x12 which is rear ported sounds every bit as lush and will handle volumes far past what is comfortable for your hearing. Fender Twins always sound great to me, and I just snagged the 2x12 paisley cab with the Blue Sky 50 can't imagine needing more. Bigger isn't always better for you , your audience or neighbors....

Some of the input shared in this thread has me thinking. I already have a 2x12 with Celestion V type speakers for my Archon. Maybe I’ll get the box modded to have two Creambacks (like in the HDRX 2x12) up top and two other speakers in the bottom, then plug and play as desired. Would the bottom speakers be greenbacks? I’ll have to reach out to my local amplifier guy to see how stock he could make adding an extra plug look.

I use a black PRS Big Mouth cab with my HXDA.

Originally, I used a pine PRS cab, but I think he HXDA does better with a deeper birch ply cab. Mine sounded great with the Mesa Recto cab I used with the Mark V head I had, so when I got the HXDA, I bought the Big Mouth, which was a similar size and has similar dimensions and speakers.

I'll go against the conventional wisdom here. My head is black Tolex, but even if I had a Paisley head, I'd still look for one of the no-longer-made Big Mouth cabs, or a Mesa Recto cab, if you want a 212.

Matching the audio is a LOT more important than matching the cabinet covering.

Just my two cents.
You have me interested in the big mouth cabs. Can you tell me what it says on the back of your cab so I can ensure I am looking at the same thing?

Nothing resonates like well made, closed back 4x12.
Love the sound and feel of playing through a Marshall 1/2 stack but that's a big cabinet to use at home and it'll feel even bigger if you try to gig with it.

Also, most of the clubs these days won't let you turn up an amp like that. Just too loud.

What would I do?

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a PRS cab like you want.

But I would not pass up a used Matchless 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cab if I found one.

I'd put 1 or 2 Made In England Celestion Heritage G12H30 speakers in it. No other brand or model speaker sounds as good to me, except for Celestion G12 Alnico Blue or Silver speakers.

Last edited:
You have me interested in the big mouth cabs. Can you tell me what it says on the back of your cab so I can ensure I am looking at the same thing?
First, you won't mistake it for any other PRS cab because the dimensions are very similar to a Mesa Recto cab.

The plaque on the back has the PRS logo and says underneath:

Speaker Cabinet
Model 2x12 Deep
Max Power 120 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms
Serial Numer

First, you won't mistake it for any other PRS cab because the dimensions are very similar to a Mesa Recto cab.

The plaque on the back has the PRS logo and says underneath:

Speaker Cabinet
Model 2x12 Deep
Max Power 120 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms
Serial Numer
Les for the win. New screen name and profile pic but same wealth of knowledge. I was able to confirm the model number and make the purchase. The first guy I talked to said it was an Archon 2x12 and looked the same as all the other PRS cabs they had on the floor. Glad I called back and talked to someone else.

Love the sound and feel of playing through a Marshall 1/2 stack but that's a big cabinet to use at home and it'll feel even bigger if you try to gig with it.

Also, most of the clubs these days won't let you turn up an amp like that. Just too loud.

What would I do?

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a PRS cab like you want.

But I would not pass up a used Matchless 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cab if I found one.

I'd put 1 or 2 Made In England Celestion Heritage G12H30 speakers in it. No other brand or model speaker sounds as good to me, except for Celestion G12 Alnico Blue or Silver speakers.

I don't gig, buddy. No longer, at least. I'm also fortunate enough to have a man cave. I have more urging gear matters to focus on first, but I am strongly considering doing this at some point.

I used to have a Marshall Silver Jub straight cab, and it was the fire. I shouldn't sell it

Les for the win. New screen name and profile pic but same wealth of knowledge. I was able to confirm the model number and make the purchase. The first guy I talked to said it was an Archon 2x12 and looked the same as all the other PRS cabs they had on the floor. Glad I called back and talked to someone else.
Wait. I was actually...helpful??

;) Enjoy that cab!!

Back