What would you do?

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
Following an awesome forum connection that landed me an HXDA head in paisley, I’m looking to get a matching 2x12 cab if possible. I have a lead on a matching 4x12 cab in great condition shipped for $1500, but I only play at home and it’s more than I’m looking to spend overall. That being said, I’m not sure how often Reverb or other typical sources online see paisley cabs come up for sale, let alone be a source willing to ship at current rates. Should I buy the 4x12 or keep waiting? What would you do?

Disconnect 2 speakers from the 4x12?
It sure would look cooler, and since you only play at home you wouldn't have to carry it around. Would you want to terrify the neighborhood, connect the other 2 speakers back again, or add a switch maybe?
My 2p, YMMV and all that...

I use a black PRS Big Mouth cab with my HXDA.

Originally, I used a pine PRS cab, but I think he HXDA does better with a deeper birch ply cab. Mine sounded great with the Mesa Recto cab I used with the Mark V head I had, so when I got the HXDA, I bought the Big Mouth, which was a similar size and has similar dimensions and speakers.

I'll go against the conventional wisdom here. My head is black Tolex, but even if I had a Paisley head, I'd still look for one of the no-longer-made Big Mouth cabs, or a Mesa Recto cab, if you want a 212.

Matching the audio is a LOT more important than matching the cabinet covering.

Just my two cents.

Aaaaaah, it’s tough because you make good points. Part of me was hoping one of you would talk me into it since my OCD wants me to complete the paisley set. In the logic of completing the set with something that is too much for what I need, I had thought about getting the 4x12 and switching two speakers to the ones used in the 2x12 HDRX (creambacks), and getting a switch or something to select which pair. My ideal would be to find a reasonably priced paisley 2x12 and then switch the speakers to creambacks for variety. I think my best plan is to enjoy the 2x12 stealth that I have for my Archon with both amps until I find what I want.

Although, Les makes a great point with the big mouth, and there is one on Reverb for a lot less than the 4x12 I was looking at. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone know somebody that can get the paisley fabric and grill cloth? Haha.

Man, that’s a tough call.

The big mouth cabs are fantastic - I have the SE version, same dimensions with some fantastic Eminence OEM drivers, and I love that cab. Pairing an H75 Creamback with a V30 is much what those Emi speakers sound like. I’m thinking hard about putting a pair of H75’s in my Mesa 4x12 to go with two of the stock V30’s.

I’ve seen all variants of 2x12’s in the paisley - open back, closed, and closed deep/big mouth. I’d jump on any of them.

Aaaaaah, it’s tough because you make good points. Part of me was hoping one of you would talk me into it since my OCD wants me to complete the paisley set. In the logic of completing the set with something that is too much for what I need, I had thought about getting the 4x12 and switching two speakers to the ones used in the 2x12 HDRX (creambacks), and getting a switch or something to select which pair. My ideal would be to find a reasonably priced paisley 2x12 and then switch the speakers to creambacks for variety. I think my best plan is to enjoy the 2x12 stealth that I have for my Archon with both amps until I find what I want.

Although, Les makes a great point with the big mouth, and there is one on Reverb for a lot less than the 4x12 I was looking at. Decisions, decisions.

Others have tried and (I think) failed in finding the original paisley fabric.
Look again though... you never know...

The HXDA sounds awesome through a 4x12 cab. It’s a true Plexi… how can it not? Really, it’s what you want or have room for In your space. A 4x12 is a whole other animal compared to a 2x12, in much the same way a 2x12 is to a 1x12. I converted a Marshall 1960A cab with a quad of UK Greenbacks and, as you’d expect, the HXDA roars through it. I won’t be dragging it around to gig; it’s just for my personal enjoyment.

The price, considering it’s shipped, is probably reasonable. I shipped a little Deluxe Reverb amp this week and it cost $156.00! I have no doubt a 4x12 might double that.

So, I won’t say you should. But I will say it would 1. Look killer together, and 2. Sound huge. Whether or not it’s what you’re looking for, or can fit into your space, might be another matter!

I'm OCD, too, so I completely understand.

However, everything goes with black tolex!

Here's a really stupid story that will confirm my OCD nature:

A couple of years ago when the Mesa Fillmore came out, I ordered the head version with a black, genuine leather covering, white piping, black grille cloth. It sounded great. Looked fantastic. I was using it with the speakers in my Mesa Lone Star, since they were the same speakers that came with the Fillmore (C-90s), and I have a cab switcher.

But then I heard the Cali Tweed, and thought the Fillmore might sound great with the Cali Tweed cab since it was also based on the Tweed platform. So I decided to order one and see.

But my OCD nature conflicted with my "Gee, I should try this out with regular Tolex because I might not like it once I get one in my studio to use with the Fillmore, and I'll have a very hard time getting a leather covered cab sold for anywhere near what I paid for it."

So I ordered a Cali Tweed cab in black tolex to kinda-sorta match the leather on the head. No one who comes to the studio notices the difference but me.

Turns out, it's a fantastic audio match. Really sounds great! I was a dolt to order it with regular ol' Tolex.

And yet, I have considered selling mine and ordering the exact same cab in either black leather or a stained wood that would work with the Fillmore head, not because it's a good idea - obviously it's completely unnecessary - but because I can!

Fortunately, Mesa has paused custom orders, so I don't have to think about it. I'll be in serious difficulty when they start making custom coverings and hardwood cabs again!

Do I have a point to make here?

I dunno. Get a cab that works with the HXDA regardless of finish. You can always sell it if you find something that works better. However, having had both the pine cab, and the Birch Ply Big Mouth, I can honestly say the Birch cab works better with the amp - as it should, since the old Marshall cabs were not pine!!!

Its going to come down to what you want or if you're willing to wait.
If you have room and want the 412, then grab it.
I know there are a few on here, myself included, that would jump at a paisley 212 if the right one at the right price came along.

I can't add too much more than what others have said, but what I can say is, like Rick, I have a 412 that I put in a quad of UK greenbacks and the hxda sounds awesome thru that setup.

I also, like Les, have the PRS 212 stealth pine with stock V30's and that sounds good too.

Also, as Les and Andy have said, I also have a PRS big mouth 212 and the hxda sounds right at home with that particular cab. I agree with Les, that the big mouth sounds a little better with hxda.

The Mesa 212 is another great sounding cab with the hxda.

I dont think you can wrong as the hxda won't sound bad thru just about anything. I've even ran it thru a low dollar 212 with creambacks and it sounds good.

I dont have a favorite cab as it depends on what style or song I am playing as each cab brings out something different.
Good luck in your search.

I dont think you can wrong as the hxda won't sound bad thru just about anything. I've even ran it thru a low dollar 212 with creambacks and it sounds good.

I dont have a favorite cab as it depends on what style or song I am playing as each cab brings out something different.
Davey is a prophet of the unadulterated TRUTH.

Need I say I completely agree??

Following an awesome forum connection that landed me an HXDA head in paisley, I’m looking to get a matching 2x12 cab if possible. I have a lead on a matching 4x12 cab in great condition shipped for $1500, but I only play at home and it’s more than I’m looking to spend overall. That being said, I’m not sure how often Reverb or other typical sources online see paisley cabs come up for sale, let alone be a source willing to ship at current rates. Should I buy the 4x12 or keep waiting? What would you do?
Buy the 4x12 and be happy with it. Keep an eye out for a 2x12 and if/when you find one you can move the 4x12 if you end up not liking it like you should. ;) (See what I did there?)

I'm OCD, too, so I completely understand.

However, everything goes with black tolex!

Here's a really stupid story that will confirm my OCD nature:

A couple of years ago when the Mesa Fillmore came out, I ordered the head version with a black, genuine leather covering, white piping, black grille cloth. It sounded great. Looked fantastic. I was using it with the speakers in my Mesa Lone Star, since they were the same speakers that came with the Fillmore (C-90s), and I have a cab switcher.

But then I heard the Cali Tweed, and thought the Fillmore might sound great with the Cali Tweed cab since it was also based on the Tweed platform. So I decided to order one and see.

But my OCD nature conflicted with my "Gee, I should try this out with regular Tolex because I might not like it once I get one in my studio to use with the Fillmore, and I'll have a very hard time getting a leather covered cab sold for anywhere near what I paid for it."

So I ordered a Cali Tweed cab in black tolex to kinda-sorta match the leather on the head. No one who comes to the studio notices the difference but me.

Turns out, it's a fantastic audio match. Really sounds great! I was a dolt to order it with regular ol' Tolex.

And yet, I have considered selling mine and ordering the exact same cab in either black leather or a stained wood that would work with the Fillmore head, not because it's a good idea - obviously it's completely unnecessary - but because I can!

Fortunately, Mesa has paused custom orders, so I don't have to think about it. I'll be in serious difficulty when they start making custom coverings and hardwood cabs again!

Do I have a point to make here?

I dunno. Get a cab that works with the HXDA regardless of finish. You can always sell it if you find something that works better. However, having had both the pine cab, and the Birch Ply Big Mouth, I can honestly say the Birch cab works better with the amp - as it should, since the old Marshall cabs were not pine!!!
'just do a raddle can'

I had picked up a CAD Paisley Dallas four years ago from a guy in the Phoenix metro area. He also had an unloaded paisley 4x12, and I thought the same as you. I would have bought it had I known what a problem it was going to be to get a 2x12. I had considered loading two of one speaker type in the top and a different pair on the bottom and wiring it so that I would have two 2x12. Gone when a guy from California drove eight hours one way to Phoenix to pick it up.

I had picked up a CAD Paisley Dallas four years ago from a guy in the Phoenix metro area. He also had an unloaded paisley 4x12, and I thought the same as you. I would have bought it had I known what a problem it was going to be to get a 2x12. I had considered loading two of one speaker type in the top and a different pair on the bottom and wiring it so that I would have two 2x12. Gone when a guy from California drove eight hours one way to Phoenix to pick it up.
some 'hipster', makin' the scene....

Back