What would be your ultimate PRS guitar

SC McCarty, Korina Body, 2 USA Mira pickups that coil tap, a blend pot instead of a 3 way switch, piezo trem with a Tremonti up route, Brushstroke birds. Oh yes, the volume controls would be wired seperately.

Mine would have to be:

24.5" scale
Santana hollow body
Madagascar Ebony top and fretboard
Figured Mahogany back and neck
Santana headstock with PRS Signature on Madagascar Ebony veneer
Phase III tuners
Adjustable wraparound bridge with Piezo pickup
58/15 pickups with brushed nickle covers and hardware and coil tap

A guy can dream, right?!

JA-15 body shape
Thin out the body thickness by about an inch or so, more of a thinline than a big jazz box.
Make it semi-hollow instead of fully hollow, with a mahogany center block running the length of the guitar.
Cat eye F-holes
Wide-fat, mahogany neck, 25" scale, rosewood fretboard, MOON INLAYS, rolled edges, satin finish on neck
PRS two piece bridge
DGT bridge pickup
Dragon 2 neck pickup
Siggy electronics
Phase 3 locking tuners
recessed electronics backplate
Gloss Black with double faux natural binding on the body.

I am enamored right now with the idea of building a PS with the most resonant woods available on that day irrespective of figuring. Is that what most PS buyers do anyway, and does the PS team let you tap on a lot of the wood to hear it? Would it contribute to a 'magic' or ultimate guitar with better sustain in the end? I don't know the answers but I'd like to find out if I was spending the money.

So this PS build is pretty humble (basically an artist package type build except for the controls, inlay and finish) and I'd be open to swapping with whatever woods were speaking to me or the experts in the vault at the time.

DC245 Trem
DGT electronics/control layout
58/15s stock and then perhaps swap in a pair of 53/10s back home
1 piece curly top if possible
Hog back
IRW neck, Ebony board if possible
Slate blue stain
Satin nitro finish
Wide fat
Phase 3 tuners
Hybrid hardware
and...Moon inlays in whatever ivory like substance is legal that day

I'm not too picky. Mine would be a P22 Semi Hollow with a single f hole on the top, natural mahogany back and neck (in a satin finish), flamed maple top in Aquableux, R/W board, with covered \m/ pickups. Nothing too crazy

Edit: Oh! and the outline birds, please and thank you

Last edited:
Pretty much my Koa Ce....Except the finish would be Nitro ( Maybe a Slight Burst ) The neck would be Dyed to match as well. Koa headstock with a Silver and Gold Eagle. Phase 3 tuners ( Silver and gold ) 57/08 pickups (silver and gold) with a mann bridge (Also hybrid in color). I prefer the CE because I feel that the maple neck and being a bolt on has the ability to sound more strat like when split and still sound like a prs when full.

Santana Retro, Semi-Hollow (no f holes), graphite reinforced neck (no truss Rod) piezo trem 58/15's, 2 minitoggles for coil splits.

Brazilian neck and top...Quilt Hog body...Cocobolo FB and headstock overlay...Koa binding/trim, McCarty SC flat fret wire...

Yup...it's gonna happen.

Last edited:
I don't think it can be done. I remember watching a video where Paul Miles talk about the spalted tops. Says they can only tone them with a candy color, can't be stained.

I think it depends on how punky the maple is. As long as it's still solid enough (ie. not too rotten), I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, I don't think the effect would be that great unless the piece is heavily figured (like a good fiddleback) in addition to the fungus.

I would like to have a P250 Semi Hollow, a 25.0 scale P245 semi hollow essentially.

Flame top, in Charcoal Cherry Burst. Basically this. Even with the neck and back.
JCU2xMU.jpg

Blacked Out (Hybrid?) Hardware.
Tremonti Pickups, with both pickups covered.
Glow in the dark fret markers. (I play in some dark bars.)
Same birds and PS eagle as in the picture above.

OH, and I almost forgot... SATIN FINISH! :beer:

I think it depends on how punky the maple is. As long as it's still solid enough (ie. not too rotten), I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, I don't think the effect would be that great unless the piece is heavily figured (like a good fiddleback) in addition to the fungus.

Funny thing, I was just about to edit my post a little bit. After re-watching the video, he was saying that was for the ones that they had to soak in superglue. Agreed on the count of the piece being figured along with the fungus. The two tone finishes won't have the same effect on a piece that's not heavily figured.

I was considering having a PS built, but I could never seem to get the courage to do it. I went looking for a P245, and instead ran across the perfect guitar for me. SC 245, piezo, 3 way, 408's, 20th anni birds, rosewood neck.......everything I would want in a PS already spec'd by an expert in PS "speccing". I honestly can't think of anything I'd do differently. I doubt I would have picked this color, not because I don't like it, but because that was one of my worst hang-ups about having one bulit...picking a color. This one took that angst out of my hands. Thanks again Steve!!

I was considering having a PS built, but I could never seem to get the courage to do it. I went looking for a P245, and instead ran across the perfect guitar for me. SC 245, piezo, 3 way, 408's, 20th anni birds, rosewood neck.......everything I would want in a PS already spec'd by an expert in PS "speccing". I honestly can't think of anything I'd do differently. I doubt I would have picked this color, not because I don't like it, but because that was one of my worst hang-ups about having one bulit...picking a color. This one took that angst out of my hands. Thanks again Steve!!

A really great guitar! And a super guy has it.

I don't know what the ultimate PRS would be but I will keep buying until I find it

Funny thing, I was just about to edit my post a little bit. After re-watching the video, he was saying that was for the ones that they had to soak in superglue. Agreed on the count of the piece being figured along with the fungus. The two tone finishes won't have the same effect on a piece that's not heavily figured.

I've seen more than one spalted quilt top on this side of the pond...

Got it already, and I didn't even have to design it myself. :) Starla, quilt maple top, ebony board, etched silver inlays. The one thing I would change if I did it again would probably to do a rosewood or ziricote neck. It's otherwise my perfect PRS guitar.

I'd also like one with a crazy spalted maple top... maybe later in life!

15215038631_5acaac090f_b.jpg

JESUS!!!

Back