What would be best for my next PRS?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
I currently own an SE Custom 24 from the exotic wood run and I have specifically a spalted maple top (definitely has burl in it from what I see) in vintage sunburst. I love it but I will definitely upgrade in the future.

I haven't played too many S2's or CE 24's or a core yet. I really like tuning stability when it comes to my guitars, and I had to get locking tuners for my SE because tuning stability isn't the best.

What would you recommend for me? I will most likely buy one in a few years, but I would like to think about it.

I really love the CE's but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Locking tuners don’t have anything to do with tuning stability. Just easier strings changes. If you string traditional tuners correctly, there’s no difference.

Tuning stability has more to do with the nut and trem setups and environmental changes. If your tuners are loose or have slop in them, that can contribute, too.

Locking tuners don’t have anything to do with tuning stability. Just easier strings changes. If you string traditional tuners correctly, there’s no difference.

Tuning stability has more to do with the nut and trem setups and environmental changes. If your tuners are loose or have slop in them, that can contribute, too.
Well I know that the nut can also do that. I tried getting my nut replaced and it would've cost 125 bucks to replace a 10 dollar little thing.

At 15, you should be trying to play as many different guitars as you can. Not just PRSi, everything out there you can get your hands on. The more you try, the quicker you'll learn what feels best to you in terms of weight, balance, neck profile and shape, the neck/body connection, versatility and sound. You'll get a strong sense of how different guitars feel to you; what makes some cumbersome or odd-feeling, while others feel so comfortable and fit you so well that they seem to almost disappear when you're playing them. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're in or near a large city you should have stores that will let you try out lots of guitars. Another option is to make friends with older guitar players who have large numbers of different interesting guitars that you can try out and you can also pick their brains about what they like and why.

Soon you'll come to know that there are certain specific things about guitar metrics you like and work most easily for you, and other things that don't fit you so well. THEN you have the basis to look at all the myriad different PRS models and quickly be able to ascertain which ones are the most likely to suit you. The different models are created with different configurations and metrics specifically to appeal to different players preferences. The ones that fit your preferences will be the ones you'll want to look at getting :)

There is only one correct answer..........Santana!
The egyptian gold SC looks really appealing to me, but they only have the SC for the SE's and I would want a core. However, I can't justify almost 5,000 dollars for a artist signature. Beautiful guitars, but if anything, I would get the SE but with better hardware.

What is your true budget? Go from there.
If anything, if I work for a solid summer, maybe 1000-1500. If I save up, maybe 3000. I would buy at least a a CE because I've found one for 1500 and it was a semi hollow and I loved it.

The CE is great. The Semi-Hollow is amazing. I have had two and will get a 3rd. There is a nice snap when clean and the heavier tones come out focused and tight. They are amazing guitars.

The CE is great. The Semi-Hollow is amazing. I have had two and will get a 3rd. There is a nice snap when clean and the heavier tones come out focused and tight. They are amazing guitars.
Well I'm looking for a tighter sound when it comes to high gain so I will have to consider that!

If I could only have 2 guitars - One would have single coil PU's and the other humbucker PU's. You can cover a lot of musical territory with this approach. Maybe consider a JM Silver Sky???

Well I'm looking for a tighter sound when it comes to high gain so I will have to consider that!

I swear... you are WAY advanced beyond your years. 20 years of hanging out in guitar forums, I’ve never heard anyone under 25 say they wanted tighter high gain tones. That’s usually once you’ve had tight, and high gain, and had some thunder and are advanced enough as a player and gear wise, to understand the advantages of looser amps and tighter amps, and have developed a percussive fast picking hand and do a lot of speed chugging on the low strings, and realize the advantage of tighter gain for certain type of tones.... I mean, that statement is something you usually hear from more advanced metal guys. Kudos.

If you really want tighter high gain tones, the guitar is almost as important as the amp though. Fixed bridge or non-floating vibratos go a long way in tightening that bottom end. Wait... you probably already know this, don’t you? :D

I swear... you are WAY advanced beyond your years. 20 years of hanging out in guitar forums, I’ve never heard anyone under 25 say they wanted tighter high gain tones. That’s usually once you’ve had tight, and high gain, and had some thunder and are advanced enough as a player and gear wise, to understand the advantages of looser amps and tighter amps, and have developed a percussive fast picking hand and do a lot of speed chugging on the low strings, and realize the advantage of tighter gain for certain type of tones.... I mean, that statement is something you usually hear from more advanced metal guys. Kudos.

If you really want tighter high gain tones, the guitar is almost as important as the amp though. Fixed bridge or non-floating vibratos go a long way in tightening that bottom end. Wait... you probably already know this, don’t you? :D
Actually I didn't know that the bridge affected the tightness of the bottom end. I thank you so much for the complements!

Actually I didn't know that the bridge affected the tightness of the bottom end.
oh yeah. take any guitar that has a floating vibrato, and deck the bridge and see what happens to the bottom end.

Back