What would a Custom 23 sound like?

Probably a bit different than some of the true "pre-factory" guitars that had 26 and even 27 frets.

I'll preface this by admitting that I'm no luthier, and what follows might be completely wrong, but....I thought the reason for 22 or fewer frets was that the neck pickup "wants" to be placed precisely where the 24th fret would sit, which is the resonant point for the 3rd harmonic when the open string is vibrating.

If you have 24 frets, the neck pickup is slightly behind the optimal point (closer to the bridge). If you build with 20-22 frets you can put the neck pickup in the ideal location.

If anyone out there actually understands this and can explain better than I can, please jump in.

I'll preface this by admitting that I'm no luthier, and what follows might be completely wrong, but....I thought the reason for 22 or fewer frets was that the neck pickup "wants" to be placed precisely where the 24th fret would sit, which is the resonant point for the 3rd harmonic when the open string is vibrating.

If you have 24 frets, the neck pickup is slightly behind the optimal point (closer to the bridge). If you build with 20-22 frets you can put the neck pickup in the ideal location.

If anyone out there actually understands this and can explain better than I can, please jump in.

Makes sense to me. I prefer 22 frets, for the sound, compared to 24, which changes the dynamics of the neck pup in a way that I don't quite get along with. I find on my 24 fret guitars, I mainly only use the bridge pup.

I was told there would be no math.

a_61.jpg

Back