What/Who has helped you learning most!!

Every band I ever listened to...a record player or tape deck (a lot of rewinding to try to catch what was being played) and time.

People who play other instruments, especially piano, force me to think outside the guitar box. I always thought my playing sounded more interesting under that influence, though it may have just been more interesting to me!

I advanced the fastest when playing with musicians that are better players than me. They tend to choose more difficult material that I have to work to play. It’s like working out with a stronger or faster partner.

get a looper - lay down a solid track and practice soloing.
Years ago I purchased a looper so that I could do exactly what you do with them. The 1st thing I realized was that my rhythm chops had to get a whole lot better, never mind solos. I also learned quite a bit about the bass as I put down bass tracks as well on the looper. I am glad that I have one and use it a lot. I highly recommend.

C’mon, you ACTUALLY saw that movie?
1978. I was still going to movies from time to time way back when.

"Movies were better in 1978."

"Not really. They just made fewer of them, so people went to see just about anything."

STRONG first post.
We’ve got enough long-winded essay writers here as it is.;)
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Last edited:
Well, I've told this often, but it is a thread topic again so here goes.

I played classical piano up until I was 15 years old. I was pretty advanced for my age, but got to the point I didn't want to play piano any more. I wanted to play guitar, and rock and roll guitar. When I got my first guitar, I had no books, no teacher, no lessons, no NOTHING. Except a good ear. I'd sit down and turn an album on and play along with it and learn the songs. There were no "online instructional videos" or anything like that, because there was no "online." You either took lessons at a music store, or you winged it. Thank God I had a good enough ear, and enough musical background, that I could learn it all without any help.

Now, I've said a million times. I'm no chordsmith or anything. I don't know 50 inversions of every chord. But, when I'd hear a different version of a chord, I could usually figure it out quickly and move on, even if I didn't "know" what chord I was actually playing. To this day, I learn most things by ear and only consult a basic chord chart for some things when I play at church, and only sometimes. I've never bought tab charts, instructional videos, etc. I've pretty much taught myself everything I know. YES, by watching, copying, duplicating etc., but I've never had any type of actual instruction.

Now, if you think I suck at guitar, that doesn't really mean much... except that I probably should have taken lessons! :p

Switching from acoustic to electric has improved my playing the most. I 'played' acoustic for 7 years before getting into electric. It turns out that electric guitar is way more my thing, especially string bending, and now I'm 2 years into electric guitar and I've been playing a ton and improving.

Electric guitar is a lot more expensive! I had about $15 in 2 string changes over those 7 years of acoustic. Now I somehow have 7 guitars including a core PRS and 2 I've built myself, 20 odd pedals, and 2 amps.

I've been thinking about starting lessons. I think I could improve a lot more with direction on how to get the most out of my practice time.

When I was crafting my own style a few (ahem) years ago it was early Jeff Beck and Duane Allman. I kind of took it from there and (hopefully) beyond to who I am today as a player…… RIP Skydog and Jeff………
I also still listen to great horn players like Wayne Shorter, Elton Dean, Miles, Charlie ect for ideas for Bluesrock solos

Last edited:
Lifetime, probably Tom Greene. His books are demanding, and I didn’t try to learn it all, but I worked through it and have a much bigger menu of transitions to choose from.

More recently some composers I was afraid of before have stretched my vocabulary: Paganini and Beethoven in particular.
Did you mean Ted Greene? His books are monumental.

Hello. During my studies, I always get help from a very good company that often writes essays for me. it is very difficult and takes a lot of time, so I often give all the tasks to this company. I advise you to visit it somehow, I am sure that you will like it very much
I tried somehow and it didn't work. Is there another method?

Mentors along the musical road include everyone who has had the patience to play with me and throw me nuggets of knowledge along the way.

It's too bad I don't have studies anymore, this newly posted resource would have been better than Cliff's Notes!!! :rolleyes:

But since the thread was bumped...WHAT has helped me the most has been two things. First, I play (nearly) every day, even if it is only 5 minutes of tuning and a quick couple of riffs. Second, I accepted that I only need to be me when I'm playing.

WHO, well that is a harder question. Or perhaps not a harder question, just a longer answer. Suffice to say it ranges from teachers I've had, people I've played with and artists I've listened to, to the birds and the trees and the streams that rush across my property. Like anything in life, the more open you are to what's around you, the more it has to offer.

This may sound like a no-brainer, but if i'm learning a new song and there's a technically challenging part, i'll try to find out how to loop that part - whether its 4 measures or 8 - whatever it takes to keep repeating that section, and then I loop it over and over until i get it.

In the past I had always started from the beginning of a song every time. Focusing on the stuff I have trouble with seems to get me over the hump faster.

This may sound like a no-brainer, but if i'm learning a new song and there's a technically challenging part, i'll try to find out how to loop that part - whether its 4 measures or 8 - whatever it takes to keep repeating that section, and then I loop it over and over until i get it.

In the past I had always started from the beginning of a song every time. Focusing on the stuff I have trouble with seems to get me over the hump faster.

I learnt at the weekend that garage band has a useful feature that may help you with this.

Also there’s Pitchshifter (Google Chrome extension).

Hello. During my studies, I always get help from a very good company that often writes essays for me. it is very difficult and takes a lot of time, so I often give all the tasks to this company. I advise you to visit it somehow, I am sure that you will like it very much
So... your degree... Your status in life... Your accomplishments... Your fame and fortune... all a fraud??? :eek::eek::eek:

Back