What was Your 1st PRS?

My 1st PRS was an '02 Santana SE. It was a killer guitar that had been modded with locking tuners and SD humbuckers.

It ended up being part of a huge guitar purge a few years ago.

12420751865_3583426d41_h.jpg

My 1st Core PRS is my '88 Goldtop which is still proudly own.

6607449295_49d9dc0c16_b.jpg

Before the 21st century, I had never hear of PRS, so I'm quite late to the game as compared to many of you. I had always favored a Les Paul, so I was very accustomed to a guitar which was very simple in its operation. To the best of my recollection, my first PRS was a used McCarty. It was not only very simple (two pickups, a three way selector switch and a single piece bridge) but at the time, McCartys were the most affordable PRSi you could find. My assumption at the time was that most people preferred the "real PRS" models like the Custom 24 or something and that was the reason why McCartys were priced so low.

Thinking back on that now, I can't say that I had a good reason for parting with it. I think that's where I began the endless cycle of trying to find a better looking PRS guitar instead of just being happy with the PRS guitar I already had. But I cannot undo the past and I do things a little different now. I have since embraced the Custom 24's and have returned again to also liking the McCarty models, only this time along the 594 variety. Those are my favorite models these days and that is what I'm sticking to.

Someone mentioned seeing the PRS review in Guitar Player magazine in the 80s...that probably set the hook. However, I didn’t even consider buying one until 2001. Heck, at the time, I had a whopping 3 guitars...what the hell would I need with another guitar??!! A Les Paul, a Super Strat, and a regular Strat. Well, Mrs. B came up with the great notion that she wanted to buy me a “nice Christmas present...you know, one of those guitars you like...how much are they?” Me: “umm, with tax, probably $4k-$5k. Are you sure?” “Yeah, go pick it out but you can’t have it until Xmas day”. A few weeks later I had my Teal Black ‘01 Custom 24 10 Top, which was a PRS poster child. Couldn’t play it for 6 weeks! (I visited it whenever she left the house, which was rare with 2 kids 9 and 10 years old. It was torture!)

Still have it and it sits in my forever collection (I guess that’s just about everything I own).

Custom 22 tremolo gray/black quilt with birds from Indoor Storm. 10 top quilt but would be Wood Library or Private Stock today. Lost pics in a PC crash. 1998. 1996 I watched David Grissom play a PRS Goldtop McTrem and asked the guy next to me what kind of guitar it was. Took delivery of a Goldtop McTrem today. Life is good.

I’m trying to recreate the old collection...

Really don’t know why I can’t seem to make pictures post from Instagram or google while using my phone. I swear.

Mine was a late 80's CE alder body in electric blue with a maple fingerboard. Had "PRS Electric" livery on the headstock. Wish I still had that one.

Back