what was the first Rock POWER Ballad?

After this one, EVERY hair-metal band had a ballad on their album.
It may not be the first, but it sure started a trend.
Wait ...
If we steer from "the first" towards the 80s then Scorpions rule:
"Always somewhere" and "Still loving you" are not the first but surely are the Parents Of All Ballads ;)

So it probably won't count, but for some reason, the perfectly placed guitar solo(s) in "Maybe I'm Amazed" always seem to fit the song perfectly...IMHO. (Even though its damned near the exact same solo). Maybe a stretch, but one of my favorites.

And DTR...LOVE the Scorpions!!!!

LOL I guess some agree with me. In my opinion, it fits the "power" ballad aspect. And it sounds like it actually came out 10 years later.

I appreciate all the commentary, the discourse, the sarcasm, and the spirited debate.
As the OP i get to be the adjudicator, so i'm going to weigh in on the suggestions. :-D

I was looking for songs that build and then strike with both power and punch, which has a much to do with engineering techniques, as the arrangement. When did the crisp kick drum that sounds like a basketball bouncing on a gym floor team up with guitar power chords in rock ballads?

Hendrix "Bold As Love" - sort of, but the lowend doesn't really punch: it's too boomy.

Styx "Lady" 1973 - I'll allow it!

Sabbath "Changes" - while a ballad, there is no power, no punch

Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" - i'm not buying it as a ballad

Nazereth "Love Hurts" 1974 - close, but i'm not feeling the punch. to me it stays in rock ballad land

Led Zeppelin "Stairway To Heaven" 1971 - is it really about a relationship though?

Dusty Springfield "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" - not even a rock song. it's a pop song of the era

Nina Simone "Feeling Good" - again, not even a rock song. it's a pop song of the era

Moody Blues "Nights In White Satin" 1967 - i'm not buying it from a punchy mix perspective

Righteous Brothers "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'" - no punch in the mix

Roy Orbison "Oh, Pretty Woman" - no punch in the mix

Animals "House of the Rising Sun" - no punch in the mix

Led Zeppelin "Dazed and Confused" - not buying this as a ballad. it's a stoner song, a jam

REO "Can't Fight This Feeling" 1984 - perfect example but it's from '84

MC5 "Kick Out the Jams" - not a ballad

Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home" - perfect example but from the 80's

Chicago "If You Leave Me Now" - no punch in the mix

Chicago "Hard Habit To Break" - isn't this from 1984?

Cambridge Dictionary - they're just wrong. I agree with DTR on this

Spinal Tap "Lick My Love Pump" - <spits coffee on screen>

Poison "Every Rose" - perfect example but from the 80's

Scorpions "Another Piece Of Meat" - now THAT is funny! :-D

Carpenters "Goodbye To Love" - no punch. it's a pop mix

Night Ranger - "Sister Christian" - perfect example but from the 80's

Boston "More Than A Feeling" - i'll allow it but it was a year after "Feel Like Making Love"

Journey - all songs - from the late 70's and 80's

Whitesnake "Is This Love" - from the 80's

Led Zeppelin "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" 1969 - i'll allow it. very zeppelinesque so it is disguised but it has enough punch, enough building and falling.

Led Zeppelin "Thank You" 1969 - This was actually the first song at my wedding. In retrospect not the easiest song to which a couple can dance. I'm on the fence with this one. While the drums are punchy the bass is polite and boomy. on the fence; on the fence

Led Zeppelin "All Of My Love" 1979 - too late

McCartney/Wings "Maybe I'm Amazed" - a reasonable submission, but the original 1970 track was a polite powerless mix, so it's just a ballad with lots of layers. The live Wings version, while packing more of a wallop, didn't come out until 1976 so it's after other contenders

I appreciate all the commentary, the discourse, the sarcasm, and the spirited debate.
As the OP i get to be the adjudicator, so i'm going to weigh in on the suggestions. :-D
"Another Piece of Meat" was not added as a power ballad, it was added to show some people what power is, as I agree there were pure "ballads" listed that were NOT "power ballads." The Carpenters? Come on, that's not a power ballad. And this from a guy who considers the Carpenters his musical guilty pleasure and had a huge crush on Karen Carpenter when I was in my early teens. I would have married her. For real. Beautiful voice and "pretty music." My first "star crush" as a young teen. Honestly love some of their stuff, but that song is NOT a power ballad.

Great thread. It's really interesting to see other peoples musical perspectives. And if one more person posts a lightweight pop song as a "power ballad" I'm going to post "Honor Thy Father" to infuse some POWER back into their lives. :p
:p:p

Spinal Tap "Lick My Love Pump" - <spits coffee on screen>
Yeah, sorry about that, I realize it was from the eighties so does not qualify! I know some people who know some people who can get that screen cleaned up for ya'!! Can't help with the lost coffee though!!! Thanks for the entertaining thread and thorough breakdown of your analysis!!!!

As a final volley, may I submit "Bike" by The Pink Floyd (1967)!

Yeah, sorry about that, I realize it was from the eighties so does not qualify! I know some people who know some people who can get that screen cleaned up for ya'!! Can't help with the lost coffee though!!! Thanks for the entertaining thread and thorough breakdown of your analysis!!!!

As a final volley, may I submit "Bike" by The Pink Floyd (1967)!

That’s no ballad, that’s more of a nursery rhyme.

Back