what was the first Rock POWER Ballad?

You sir...are WRONG.

Cambridge Dictionary says....

in pop music, a slow love song that is sung with a lot of emotion
Sorry, Power Ballad means "power ballad." A slow song with no power chords is not a power ballad. But thanks for playing.

"Power ballads usually start soft, then heaviness builds up with drums and heavy electric guitars. An emotional hard rock/heavy metal song, often with a slow tempo, dramatic sung vocals, and many instruments, including acoustic ones and synthesizers."

But as is often the case, where our perspectives come from is why we disagree. Any power ballads I listen to come from ROCK bands, not "pop music." So, you keep listening to Britney Spears for your "power ballads" and I'll keep listening to rock bands for mine. ;)

Probably my favorite power ballad. A good song too.

I'm going to have to call "Ballad" again on that one. Even the guitar solo is slow and mellow.

Ballad!

You guys need some POWER in your ballads, and in your life in general. I have this on album but "lost" my CD years ago and just bought a new one last week. I'm a huge fan of this group and always have been. Here's a little POWER for you softies.

Sounds like someone needs to setup a poll with 4 selections and see what the masses think, just a thought.

I think power ballads were encouraged to give bands more female fans. You don't have to like them but you have to slow dance to them with your girl.

Power ballads…… I guess it’s different for everybody depending upon your age but to me, I only see two listed. Nazareth “Love hurts” and Mötley Crüe “Home Sweet Home”. There are many Journey songs like “Faithfully”, and hairband power ballads like Poison “Every Rose has its thorn”, White Snake “Is this love”, etc. If you were to pick bands like Led Zeppelin, the closest they would come would be “babe I’m gonna leave you” or “thank you” or “All of my love” come to mind but, do they really fit the bill?? To me the 60s or mid 70’s don’t really cut it for defining power ballads. Just an opinion. How about Rush “Entre Nous”……. Ahhhh not really lol.

Last edited:
Back