What upgrades to your PRS SE Custom 24

Craig Clark

Hi All,

I recent;y purchased my first PRS guitar, an SE Custom 24 in Trampas Green

What upgrades have you all done to your SE if any?

Thanks

Craig

I don't have a custom 24, but a SE Tremonti Custom. I swapped out the nut for a core one, changed to locking tuners, and changed from 9's to 10's.

Nut file or change if you go up in string gauge, locking tuners if you’ll use the trem a fair amount - really the SE tuners are as nice as any I’ve used, but non-locking tuners have their limits if you’ll use the trem a lot. Haven’t tried the 85-15S, but if you want to change, the 57/08 or 59/09 are stellar.

All that said, the nice thing about SE’s is that you really don’t have to do much to them, they’re already nicely equipped. We just like to tinker!

Yeah unlike other guitars I have owned, the good thing is the SE plays and sounds great right out of the box, brilliant guitars.

I swapped out the nut for a core one, changed to locking tuners, and changed from 9's to 10's.
What would you say were the differences between the standard SE nut and a Core nut?
Is there a noticeable sound difference? Better material perhaps?
I've always been keen on GraphTech's Tusq line for nuts but I'm willing to learn.

What would you say were the differences between the standard SE nut and a Core nut?
Is there a noticeable sound difference? Better material perhaps?
I've always been keen on GraphTech's Tusq line for nuts but I'm willing to learn.
I didn't really notice a tone difference, but it is better material. The SE nut is semi-hollow and seems to just be plastic. The core nut is solid and some kind of composite. You can easily tell a difference in a "drop test". It did make a pretty big difference in tuning stability when using the trem, which is what I was interested in. I've got a buddy that swears by the TUSQ ones, but I just went with the core. My shop didn't have to do much shaping for it, he said it was mostly a drop in.

Last edited:
I didn't really notice a tone difference, but it is better material. The SE nut is semi-hollow and seems to just be plastic. The core nut is solid and some kind of composite. You can easily tell a difference in a "drop test". It did make a pretty big difference in tuning stability when using the trem, which is what I was interested in. I've got a buddy that swears by the TUSQ ones, but I just went with the core. My shop didn't have to do much shaping for it, he said it was mostly a drop in.
Thanks.

I recently purchased a graphite tusq nut to up grade nut on my PRS, SE Custom 24 Koa top. After removing stock nut i compared both with drop test and lightly sanded both to compare dust. They both sounded exactly the same , all fine dust seemed to be of same materials. Does anyone know what PRS uses for the stock nut on this model ?
Thank You

I recently purchased a graphite tusq nut to up grade nut on my PRS, SE Custom 24 Koa top. After removing stock nut i compared both with drop test and lightly sanded both to compare dust. They both sounded exactly the same , all fine dust seemed to be of same materials. Does anyone know what PRS uses for the stock nut on this model ?
Thank You

I think they're just plastic.

I have went on several different forums and ask and nobody has had a solid answer. I do appreciate the reply. I swear by the drop and dust test however me, myself not %100 sure but either.
Any takers ?

Back