What tubes should I buy?

DxJxRose

picking up a used prs archon as i have regretted selling my last one and curious what tube you all like and why? its a 100 watter btw...

Due to the high gain and massive headroom, probably only the first couple of tubes have much effect on the tone. I just run stock tubes, though I am a fan of the NOS Mullard 12AX7 when it really matters. I've had good luck with TungSol in V1 of high gain amps as well.

For more highs and crunch, Sino are great.

the last one i had had all jj tubes and it sounded great but i always feel jjs over compress

They offer 12AX7/ECC83 pre-amp valves to the low noise 7025 spec, and also drive tested for gain (they use a gain rating system, I'd have thought you'd want to get something in the 250 range). Power amp valves can be bought in matched pairs or quads.

I would say for pre-amp either
ECC83-HARMA STR DR250
ECC83/7025-HARMA DR250
or even for really high pre-amp gain
ECC83/7025-HARMA DR270

ECC83-HARMA STR Balanced for a phase inverter

For the Power valves I'd recommend tubes that are harder to drive into distortion for something like an Archon, to retain its tightness, smoothness and clean headroom, so something like this that is designed for later breakup

6L6GC-HARMA RETRO

Good tubes really do make a difference in sound quality. Kinda like the difference between listening to a low quality MP3 and CD on a good stereo. And I'd also suggest that good power tubes are important in this rather than just first gain stage. If you're on a budget and can't afford to swap all of the tubes, then I'd say the first gain stage pre-amp valve comes first, and then the power-amp valves, and finally phase inverter and tubes that power tone stacks/reverbs/effects loops etc.

watford valves are ace! spent a ton there

not that I have any valves or conventional speakers now, just testing that server ;)

OK. I really like old Tungsram 12ax7s in the preamp section, with either Sylvania or Tung-Sols in the power section. If you have trouble with the cost of NOS tubes, the current JJ/Tesla power tubes are good. I'm not a big fan of their preamp tubes, though. Too much gain and a bit harsh for me. But I have to say, how the amp accepts them is an issue. Some amps are happy with a certain tube, while others puke on them. One of my Sweet 16's likes Sylvania, the other is happy with JJ
Just gotta try them til you find what you and your amp like.

I've enjoyed the new production Mullard 12ax7's - haven't tried NOS to compare to that, but compared to a JJ12ax7, they aren't as compressed and a little brighter. Also like to go with 5751's whenever I want less gain.

I also like the tung sol in v1. Generally I don’t care for JJ pre’s but they sound pretty good in this amp. Oddly I haven’t tried mullard reissue. I had ehx laying around, those sound decent too.

Still interested in people's thoughts here
Tung Sol V1
Sovtek LPS in PI

The rest to taste or stock. or, do what I do...

ask Doug at Dougs Tubes what he recommends. If you're not going for high dollar NOS, that's usually a safe bet to just ask Doug and buy from him. He will ask you what tones you're going for, how the amp is now and if you're trying to make it brigher, darker, more gain, less gain, etc., then pick a tube set to recommend.

I have an Archon 50 combo (same pre-amps as the 100), just did some tube swaps yesterday . I put ANOS GE 5751WA in V1, and ANOS GE JG-12AT7WA Grey Plate Triple Micas in V5 (PI) and V6 (loop). NOS made in USA 12AT7s are readily available & about the same price as current production 12AT7/12AX7, an inexpensive experience.

The clean channel now remains crystal clear even when channel volume is maxed out, I got a little bit of grit above 4 o'clock when using the stock JJs. It improved an already great clean tone, but I kind of miss the ability to dial in a little grit on that channel - I may fiddle around with more swaps. I left V2/V3/V4 alone for the moment. The Lead channel gain is tamed as well, still crushing levels when above 2-3 o'clock on channel volume, but more usable "crunch" at lower settings. With the stock tubes, I couldn't tell much difference on the lead channel about 2 O'Clock. Now I have a bit more granular control of it with (to my ear) just about the same max gain.

Lot of people recommend those changes if you want to smooth out the gain for non-modern metal tones, but there is plenty of debate out there & other recommendations. I read another old post where someone suggested putting a high gain JJ 803S in V5, which I found interesting- they aren't expensive, might pick one up & try it. Some web posts suggest using a 5751 in V2 and leaving V3 as the stock JJ 12AX7 - again, something to try if you are looking for lower gain or at least more readily controllable gain.

Back