What to look for in a used guitar..

captdg

Okay,
I know this topic has probably been covered ad nauseaum, but if one is going to buy a vintage guitar what are some red flags? I know there are many sites to go for this but I have gotten some really good advice from folks here especially Mr. Garvey, Albrect, Hans etc... just a basic checklist plus some things that most people overlook..

Danke

DG:flute:

If you're going to play it, the same three qualities as non-vintage guitar:
1. Playability
2. Tone
3. Looks

1. Don't believe the hype.

2. Do your homework.

3. When you find the right one, pay for it (meaning don't be afraid to go as high as you need to, to get it).

I have been "burned" (relative term) by things like 1) frozen / missing / stripped bridge screws, 2) non-original pots, and 3) associated wiring botch jobs

These have not been limited to PRS guitars, and again, it's not the end of the world...you just may find yourself running around to 47 different local hardware stores looking for M3 metric hex screws.

I have never seen it with an American PRS, but do be super careful about finish cracks around the neck pocket in a set-neck guitar. Some of the older SEs can start to get finish cracks right where the neck meets the body, but I have never had it be get more serious than cosmetic, mostly because the finish is pretty thick. Have had issues with a few older set-neck Ibanez models where there was also cracking where the upper fretboard meets the body. That's a no-good.

I have always been wary of guitars where the metal plate on the back where the neck connects to the body..

Back