What to do?

cwhenke

Carvin Striations
I've always said ebay favors buyers, but I'm starting o rethink my ways.

I've been looking for a particular amp, and I found it on ebay. The auction ended Tuesday, and I won (I was the only bidder). I actually got the amp about 20% less than they usually go for, so I was stoked. I paid through PayPal.

Wednesday, I wake up to a message that says the amp sold on Craigslist on Monday. He refunded my money and asked that I cancel the transaction to avoid seller's fees. Well, crap, that sucks. But, when I look on Craigslist, the amp is still available. So, I figure he's not happy about the selling price (which was lowe than his craigslist ad), and I refuse to cancel the transaction.

Guy emails me yesterday to tell me that this was his first experience on ebay, and that he got too busy and forgot about cancelling the listing. He asked me again to cancel the transaction. I contacted ebay, and they said to email him, give him 48 hours to deliver, and then to file my own action. So, I do that, and he says again that he was sorry he forgot and he asked me again to agree to cancel the transaction.

Here's the kicker...IT'S STILL AVAILABLE ON CRAIGSLIST!!!

I realize that, no matter what, I won't get that amp. As a seller, I've had buyers not pay, and there is nothing I can do (under new ebay rules, if you file a complaint, you can't even leave negative feedback). This is my first where a seller is refusing to deliver (guess what...I can't leave negative feedback unless I agree to cancel the transaction). So, what do I do?

I would contact him through Craigslist as a buyer, but don't mention eBay.

Good luck

You won the auction and paid for the item. That's a legally binding contract - or so I've been led to believe.

It's eBay's problem now. File the complaint. Isn't that why we pay them the excessive fees they charge?

I could be that it did sell on CL and he didn't bother to take down the listing. Probably not, but still. You can check by contacting him through CL as Chris suggested.

What does ebay do in this kind of situation? I've always assumed that if the seller refuses to make good on the sale, they're just going to make sure you get your money back. I've had a few items in my watch list from time to time that go for a very low price, and end up getting relisted over and over, I'm pretty sure because the sellers back out of the sale because they're not satisfied with the end bid. Pricks, but whatcha gonna do. Problem with CL and ebay is it's a place for people to satisfy their fantasy of getting the gear they want, but when the time comes to open up their wallet, they can back out without consequence. Or vice versa, as in this case.

Anyways, hope you can come to some kind of agreement with the seller, or ebay pulls out the big guns, and you get the amp!

Not worth the aggravation... That's pretty much why I quite selling on ebay. Get your money back and move on...

I've had better - not perfect - but better luck on TGP and VR.... I learned on TGP as long as I don't deal with FNG's it works out pretty well. ;)

Often, you are dealing with a bunch of amateur's on eBay.....as an example. My wife posted a $700 chandelier she wanted to sell and the best offer she got was $75.00. She panicked and begged the low bidder to do the same, cancel the bid. They were nice enough to do it, but damn amateurs :). Anyway my point is this dude doesn't know what he's doing or what his obligations are.

Not worth the aggravation... That's pretty much why I quite selling on ebay. Get your money back and move on...

I've had better - not perfect - but better luck on TGP and VR.... I learned on TGP as long as I don't deal with FNG's it works out pretty well. ;)

I agree. What's the point, you're not going to get the amp.

Back