What to do with push-pull pots? Cool ideas??

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
Now that I know I have two push-pull pots in my Tremonti, what can I do with them? The bridge pup can be split, but what about the second switch pot?

Any cool ideas?

Could do an out of phase thing like Peter Green, Jimmy Page etc. Also are you splitting both or just one pickup?

The only things I have used various push/pull pots for are series/parallel, in/out phase, humbucking to split coil, and bypass to remove the tone control from the circuit.

With series/parallel, each push/pull pot can be wired to each individual humbucking pickup. In series, the individual pickup coils sound like a normal humbucking pickup as the two bobbins are wired in series. When switched to parallel, the coils are sill bucking hum, but have a slightly thinner sound, although not weak and plinky.

If your pickups sound weak in single coil mode, try wiring each pickup to parallel instead, using the push/pull pots..

OP I was wondering the same thing. I think I want a guitar with the coil split option, since it allows for more variety. But then, if I want a guitar that allows for a humbucker to be played with a single coil when in the middle position, I'm limited to the S2 Singlecut and S2 Vela. Is it cool to play with 1 humbucker and one single coil? Do you use that feature a lot? Is it worth making this option be one of the center focuses for buying a first PRS?

I have a CE24 with two push/pulls and a 3 way toggle. It's basically set up like a 408. You can split either humbucker and leave the other full if you want too. Or you can split both or leave both full on of course. I really like the one split and one full on options.

Recently, I added a "half out of phase" option to my Tele. Makes a Tele sound a lot like a Strat. From what I've read, if you run a set of Strat pickups half out of phase, it makes it sound something like a Tele. So, it might do something really interesting to a PRS.

Thanks for the ideas!

To be clear, I will stick with the stock pups for now, so I can only split the bridge, as the neck is 2-wire. I'm leaning toward one control for split bridge and the other for out-of-phase, that sounds interesting.

OP I was wondering the same thing. I think I want a guitar with the coil split option, since it allows for more variety. But then, if I want a guitar that allows for a humbucker to be played with a single coil when in the middle position, I'm limited to the S2 Singlecut and S2 Vela. Is it cool to play with 1 humbucker and one single coil? Do you use that feature a lot? Is it worth making this option be one of the center focuses for buying a first PRS?

I used to have a Fender USA Fat Tele, which has a single coil bridge and a humbucker neck. That sounded great with both in parallel, but I think it split the neck for that. I don't know that I would design a guitar around it, but it's not a bad way to go. I have seen a lot of rockers/blues/jazz guys play with a humbucker bridge and a single coil neck. That makes more sense to me.

I had a Deluxe tele with S1 switching that allowed for putting the neck and bridge in series. That was interesing, but I think redundant on a humbucker guitar.

I currently have a Tom Anderson with two humbuckers wired with a 5-way and a push-pull. On that guitar I can get:
Bridge humbucker
Bridge split
Both humbucking in parallel
Both split in parallel
Neck humbucking
Neck split

The split positions sound very much like a tele. I like it a lot. However, that guitar is swamp ash with a maple veneer. I doubt I would get something close from a mahogany/maple guitar.

One thing to keep in mind if your guitar has only one volume control and you wire out of phase as an option. You cannot make it more subtle in the out of phase voicing unless you have two volume controls and back off one of them slightly. Sometimes a full on out of phase sound has far more limited usage without two volume controls. ymmv :)

I have 2 push pulls on the tone controls of my Tremonti SE Custtom. I replaced the 3 way with a rotary blend pot with a center detente. The pickups are old USA Mira. One of my favorite combos is humbucker neck, split coil bridge, rotary 3/4 of the way to the neck. There are wonderful usable sounds with this combo.

I have 2 push pulls on the tone controls of my Tremonti SE Custtom. I replaced the 3 way with a rotary blend pot with a center detente. The pickups are old USA Mira. One of my favorite combos is humbucker neck, split coil bridge, rotary 3/4 of the way to the neck. There are wonderful usable sounds with this combo.

That's a unique and very cool setup!

I have three XOX Audio Tools Handles with a blend control and center detent. I have learned to appreciate this set up far more then a 4-dial setup.

My Tremonti is in with the guitar doc. I can't wait to get it back! Still finalizing the use of the switch-pots. I am likely going with bridge tap on one and I need to find out what exactly the switches are capable of before I choose the second function. I was originally going to go with out of phase, and still might, but I may go with "blower" (switch to bridge pup with all controls bypassed).

I've seen custom made Sweet Switches sold on ebay, functioning through a push-pull pot instead of a mini toggle.

So I got the guitar back. Went with a bridge coil tap that sounds great, and a phase switch that I haven't really figured out yet. I guess you have to dial back one of the pup volumes to get the combined volume up. And I don't get a huge change in tone.

Can anyone name a song where somebody used this effect? I'm curious what it is supposed to sound like.

Back