What to do while waiting

A Lefty

So I recently ordered an SE Custom 24 (lefty) only to find out it's on back order. It will be my first PRS which is really exciting. I currently have only a telecaster with single coils. Since the order I've joined this forum to live vicariously through stories/pictures/debates, which helps. So my question is, if you didn't have a PRS but one was soon coming to you, what songs would you be running through in anticipation of playing them through the new guitar with humbuckers? What are the first things you would do after taking it out and tuning it? I know it's a question with some obvious answers, but thought it would be fun to ask people who have gotten the privilege of playing a PRS, or PRSi, for years. Thanks!

just practice stuff you know & like on what you have now.....
Yeah...sorry if I wasn't clear; not so much asking for guidance, I more meant that it might be fun to hear people recall when they first played a PRS, what they liked about it in comparison to the guitar they had before, maybe they ventured into different areas of interest musically, etc. Or maybe they noticed a difference with the neck/shape/pickups that they preferred or perhaps had to overcome.

Not really expecting written lessons on exactly what I, personally, should play.

I went and played my first five in a store and then took them home to plug into my Boogie. I don’t recall playing or doing anything special.
I always try a guitar playing a bit of classical - to me that is a good way to get a feel for how I like the neck. Then some blues lead to get a feel for tone. Then maybe some dark and stormy and some Sly type rhythm.
I do remember them always being very easy to play and very stable relative to my Floyd Tele and Les Paul.

I went and played my first five in a store and then took them home to plug into my Boogie. I don’t recall playing or doing anything special.
I always try a guitar playing a bit of classical - to me that is a good way to get a feel for how I like the neck. Then some blues lead to get a feel for tone. Then maybe some dark and stormy and some Sly type rhythm.
I do remember them always being very easy to play and very stable relative to my Floyd Tele and Les Paul.
Yeah, good call on the classical/blues/dark stuff. I'm excited to throw a lot of different genres at it. I can't imagine playing any 5 different guitars in one sitting; multiple choices aren't really a problem (blessing) leftys come by.

Let me save you a step in the process. Since you have time while waiting for your first to arrive, start looking for your second. Once your first arrives you can use all of your time falling in love with it, and not putting it down. You won't have to give up playing time to look for your second! Although, you can always look formyournthird while you're at work :D

Let me save you a step in the process. Since you have time while waiting for your first to arrive, start looking for your second. Once your first arrives you can use all of your time falling in love with it, and not putting it down. You won't have to give up playing time to look for your second! Although, you can always look formyournthird while you're at work :D
Ok that’s not even “stealth enabling” that’s just blatant in yer face, “get it right round ye!” enabling!! Nice work bro! You’ve gotta be on commission :D:D

I wouldn't be "running through" anything.

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of mediocre guitardom, I'd be blazing new trails and new sounds in a forward reaching manner and never regressing or stooping to the low levels that other guitars inprison musicians in.

I wouldn't be "running through" anything.

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of mediocre guitardom, I'd be blazing new trails and new sounds in a forward reaching manner and never regressing or stooping to the low levels that other guitars inprison musicians in.
Wow, that's an epic reply. Gonna take a minute to process that.

Since you currently only have a Tele with single coils, the most important thing to remember is that your current amp/pedal settings may not apply well.

The SECU24 is a very different sounding beast from your Tele. Dial in new sounds for it. Discover a use for Bright switch or Presence knobs, etc.

So I recently ordered an SE Custom 24 (lefty) only to find out it's on back order. It will be my first PRS which is really exciting. I currently have only a telecaster with single coils. Since the order I've joined this forum to live vicariously through stories/pictures/debates, which helps. So my question is, if you didn't have a PRS but one was soon coming to you, what songs would you be running through in anticipation of playing them through the new guitar with humbuckers? What are the first things you would do after taking it out and tuning it? I know it's a question with some obvious answers, but thought it would be fun to ask people who have gotten the privilege of playing a PRS, or PRSi, for years. Thanks!
The first thing I believe I played on my SE245 was Parasite by KISS. Trying to work with the amp and guitar to get a tone similar to the tone on the Alive! record was my goal, since thats a pretty solid tone to build off of. No matter what you do, of course if you're playing loud, wear some ear protection.

The first thing I believe I played on my SE245 was Parasite by KISS. Trying to work with the amp and guitar to get a tone similar to the tone on the Alive! record was my goal, since thats a pretty solid tone to build off of. No matter what you do, of course if you're playing loud, wear some ear protection.

Huh?

Oh, and good first tune. I'd wanted to do an instrumental of it for a long time. Finally got it done and saved a mix to use as a backing track.

I think "Goodbye To Romance" usually ends up being one of the first songs I play on any guitar. That, or "I Can't Explain", "Behind Blue Eyes" or Mike Keneally's "Ankle Bracelet". Creature of habit.

Since you currently only have a Tele with single coils, the most important thing to remember is that your current amp/pedal settings may not apply well.

The SECU24 is a very different sounding beast from your Tele. Dial in new sounds for it. Discover a use for Bright switch or Presence knobs, etc.
I get all that, except Bright switch (bridge pickup? probably not..) and Presence knobs (tone knob..eq settings on amp?). Thanks!

I get all that, except Bright switch (bridge pickup? probably not..) and Presence knobs (tone knob..eq settings on amp?). Thanks!
Yes. The new guitar may be darker sounding, or at least different, so those are part of your tools.

Huh?

Oh, and good first tune. I'd wanted to do an instrumental of it for a long time. Finally got it done and saved a mix to use as a backing track.

I think "Goodbye To Romance" usually ends up being one of the first songs I play on any guitar. That, or "I Can't Explain", "Behind Blue Eyes" or Mike Keneally's "Ankle Bracelet". Creature of habit.
The Spirit of Radio, every time. Really get that right hand working! (In your case)

Left for all is conformists!:D

I would clear your schedule for the first week or so once the new guitar arrives. I remember being astounded by the versatility when I got my SE Custom 24. The single coil tones from the push-pull impressed me then and still impress me months later. I started out by playing through my band's originals to see how they sounded and simulated a set where I would have to switch back and fourth between settings on the guitar and amp. After that, I played through some classic rock and blues stuff that I half-remembered.

I would clear your schedule for the first week or so once the new guitar arrives. I remember being astounded by the versatility when I got my SE Custom 24. The single coil tones from the push-pull impressed me then and still impress me months later. I started out by playing through my band's originals to see how they sounded and simulated a set where I would have to switch back and fourth between settings on the guitar and amp. After that, I played through some classic rock and blues stuff that I half-remembered.
Sound advice, if you pardon the pun!:D

Back