What tips, tricks or advice do you have for learning music theory?

Ok, here's what I've been getting at. I recently found my old theory textbook and it reminded me of these tips.

The spaces on a musical staff spell F-A-C-E
The lines spell EGBDF, which can be remembered with the mnemonic Every Good Boy Does Fine
The order of sharps, FCGDAEB, can be memorized with the mnemonic, French Children Go Dance At Every Ball
The order of flats, BEADGCF, can be remembered as the word BEAD and Greatest Common Factor

They don't have to be mnemonics but what tips, tricks, advice or mnemonics do you have for memorizing or understanding theory? Is there anything that made studying and understanding music theory easier for you?

Last edited:
Reminds me of when I was a kid learning trumpet! being able to read music has always been helpful for guitar playing (for me). so many TABS are poorly written with impossible fingering combos- I have to believe most TABS are written by piano players!

For beginners, I would keep things very simple. I put togther a 4 page powerpoint presentation which covers chords and how they are built, which chords go togther, the sounds made by different types of chords, the notes etc. Stuff they can use in the near term which hopefully keeps than interested. I also tell whoever will listen that they should spend no more than 10% of the time they can devote to their instrument to music theory. Practicing and playing the instrument iare much more important than theory is (at least IMHO)

Kind of depends who you're teaching. Know your audience. If it's a teenager, you may encounter more difficulty trying to encourage them to make it through challenging lessons. College students may be different. They may be more receptive and have better study habits. If it's an adult, you may have an entirely separate mindset as to how to teach.

Each age group learns at its own pace. There will be quick learners, and some who would prefer to mess around and not study as diligently.

What will help the student to learn and be more receptive to teaching is to build them up with praise for doing something well. That makes them feel good and more open to learning. Similarly, they will be more responsive and creative musically. However, if you criticize them, they will close down and not welcome you even though you may try to knock sense into them forcefully. That never works, because the student will feel belittled and not study because he won't trust or respect you as a teacher.

These things are evident and part of who we are as individuals. How I learned this is from practical application of previous knowledge taught.

Of course, all of this is just ball park approximation. How you teach can have a profound effect on folks who may not feel the same as you about music. They may like other things that are more important to them. What's important to me is often misunderstood as something else. Yet, sometimes the 2 connect and life means much more than what you know.

Last edited:
you simply have to find the right method for each student

This. Each student is an individual, and has his own aspirations, dreams, and hopes. Tailoring your curriculum to each student and being flexible enough so that each students' needs are fulfilled is paramount.

Some folks might think I'd like a "dream garage." Far from that. Helping each student see how theory ties together with practical application is what gets results, IMHO.

Back