What the market value of a PRS 2-Channel Custom 20 Head

cmedcoff

I think I need to let this go to find and amp I like better. This is a great amp from the standpoint of having many features for lower wattage amp with the effects loop, boost, etc., but I need to get back to more of a souped up marshal kind of tone.

While I've owned this for a few years and it's been to a couple of gigs, it's in like new condition. Not even a scratch on the tolex anywhere.

I can't find much on the web. Does anyone know what this might be worth? I'm not trying to sell it here. That will be done on Reverb or Sweetwater or locally. I just don't know what a fair price point would be.

Suggestions?

I think I need to let this go to find and amp I like better. This is a great amp from the standpoint of having many features for lower wattage amp with the effects loop, boost, etc., but I need to get back to more of a souped up marshal kind of tone.

While I've owned this for a few years and it's been to a couple of gigs, it's in like new condition. Not even a scratch on the tolex anywhere.

I can't find much on the web. Does anyone know what this might be worth? I'm not trying to sell it here. That will be done on Reverb or Sweetwater or locally. I just don't know what a fair price point would be.

Suggestions?
There aren't many of the 20 watt heads out there so it may be hard to get an idea. hmmm... I may be interested, depending on what the value is. I know many things are so high that I've stopped buying any used gear.

I saw one recently that was listed for $700 and was available for several months. No way to know what it finally sold for. But he offered it to me for $650 and it sat for another month after that. Should be a really nice amp... I might be interested depending on price, but already have the cash for the HRDX20 and planned on that next. hmmm...

I saw one recently that was listed for $700 and was available for several months. No way to know what it finally sold for. But he offered it to me for $650 and it sat for another month after that. Should be a really nice amp... I might be interested depending on price, but already have the cash for the HRDX20 and planned on that next. hmmm...
Yeah, they don’t move quickly.

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

GC Used has had one paired with a 1x12 cab for a while. That’ll give you an idea of what price isn’t moving it.

GC Used has had one paired with a 1x12 cab for a while. That’ll give you an idea of what price isn’t moving i

Yeah I've seen "2 channel" or "SE 2 channel" but not "2 channel custom". As I understand, similar, but different. Two channel customs were built in the US, the others I think not so perhaps some value difference, but still helps. Thanks.

Yeah I've seen "2 channel" or "SE 2 channel" but not "2 channel custom". As I understand, similar, but different. Two channel customs were built in the US, the others I think not so perhaps some value difference, but still helps. Thanks.

You’re right—I’d assumed it was a Custom, but it isn’t. I did see a Custom 20 head for sale in Chicago last year for somewhere in the $500-range and another in the Carolinas for $900ish.

In other words, it’s not so common that there’s a going price. I’d decide how much you’ll let it go for and price it accordingly. It just depends on whether there’s someone looking for one of them specifically, as opposed to someone looking for a bargain opportunity.

Well per the suggestion above I've posted this for $700 plus shipping, then dropped it to $650, then $625. Been posted about a month. I've yet to find another so I really don't know what the market value is. If anyone sees or buys one I'd love to know. I don't want to give it away but I don't want to sit on it for months either.

Well per the suggestion above I've posted this for $700 plus shipping, then dropped it to $650, then $625. Been posted about a month. I've yet to find another so I really don't know what the market value is. If anyone sees or buys one I'd love to know. I don't want to give it away but I don't want to sit on it for months either.
Since you asked for suggestions I looked up your amp and found your for sale listing.

You might want to lower your shipping price. It's very high.

The amp seems to be a reasonable price but $150 to ship seems excessive.

Last edited:
Sinc you asked for suggestions I looked up your amp and found your for sale listing.

You might want to lower your shipping price. It's very high.

The amp seems to be a reasonable price but $150 to ship seems excessive.

$150.00 is the site's estimate to ship anywhere in the continental US. I don't want to get burned on shipping but don't know how to make shipping price more attractive. Open to suggestions.

$150.00 is the site's estimate to ship anywhere in the continental US. I don't want to get burned on shipping but don't know how to make shipping price more attractive. Open to suggestions.
Maybe raise the price of the amp to $700 and offer free shipping?

Maybe do a search for a good YouTube video of the amp being played and include in your listing. There's a place for that.

Did PRS make a video of the amp? You could use that.

Last edited:
Well that might be a good suggestion. Dropping it another $75 but playing a mental game as far as shipping goes. I guess it is all about perception.

TBH, I was interested in one of these from the start, but they didn’t seem to get much traction. I was very interested when you listed this, but I had just seen one sell for under $650 shipped. I thought that was too cheap, but it was listed a while and only sold when the price was lowered to that, so that kind of told me what the market was. And, at that price, I would have bought it. By the same token, most gear is crazy high priced these days, and if I’d bought it new I sure wouldn’t want to sell it for $600 plus shipping.

From what I’ve seen (and I do watch, but I do not scour Reverb daily) there aren’t many of them out there and there aren’t hardly ANY for sale. My amp use has dwindled to the point I’d only be interested if the price was low. And, I still haven’t bought an HDRX20, so… I do still have amp money sitting around. Honestly, I was going to take one last stab at playing an HDRX20 in a store and then decide whether to buy it or just buy a TONEX pedal for $400. After Tim Pearce’s recent comments on The Tonex, I was probably just going to go ahead and get one and I’d still have enough for the amp if I did get to play the HDRX and wanted it.

Back