What strings to use? (brand and gauge)

thEdge

I have done some searching and I can't find any direct info on what strings to use and what gauge for my PRS guitar. Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction?

I have a 2014 PRS S2 Singlecut (says 250 on truss cover)

Thank you for your help.

I think they come set up for 10's but what gauge are you most comfortable playing is more important

I think they come set up for 10's but what gauge are you most comfortable playing is more important
Yes, they come stock with 10's, I can't remember if they use official PRS strings (which made to spec by D'addario) or just normal D'addario strings. String gauge is all preference so if you like what came on it, then stick with 10's. I am personally a huge fan of the D'addario NYXL series. They're a little more expensive (around $12) but they sound great, last longer than normal strings, and they seem to hold tuning better than most.

NYXL 11-52 on shorter scale gtrs. 10's on Fender scale gtrs. I love the XL's. They feel great.

Well I used 9's in the past with other guitars, but I really like what came on my PRS. Some also warn if you install different gauge or brand on the PRS it might affect the overall setup, not sure how much that is true.

For now I think I want to stick with what was original, I just never knew what was on there but I suspected they were 10's by the feel.

Those NYXL's look really nice, I might give those a try some time.

Thanks for all the info!

I heard a long time ago that ghs makes everybody's strings. Don't know if it's true or not but I can't tell a difference between boomers and everyone else's strings so I've used boomers for 28 years

D'Addario 9.5 on all electrics.

Whoops, I didn't read the title 100%, thought the question was what do we use. Sorry!

Last edited:
d'addario definitely has their own factory as does DR. d'addario makes strings with a lot of different branding.

I have been using NYXL 10's for about 9 months now... Just changed them for the first time a couple weeks ago and I play daily. I really like them. Nothing I do phases them, certainly haven't broken one. They stay in tune great and don't seem to dent. The frets don't look like they are taking any unusual wear either.

+1 on the NYXL 10s!

Just bought a set and they play like Buttah!!!

They are my new go to strings!

I use either the PRS branded strings, and/or D'Addario Pure Nickel or Pyramid Pure Nickel Classics, all in .010 gauge.

I don't have a problem playing .011s, but right now my guitars are set up for .010s, so that's what I use.

While pure nickel strings don't have the output level of some of the newer formulations, they have a great vintage tone, last forever, and are easy on the frets. So I like them.

Well that ghs boomer thing was 28 years ago too and a lot has changed since then.

I like 9s but I replace the 9 itself with a 10. It lasts longer that way.

For me it depends on the PRS model I'm stringing up.

Custom 22(Trem) and 408 Standard(Trem): D'addario 9.5 set/XL120+(fast, low action, tension is perfect)
McCarthy(Stoptail): D'addario 10 set/EXL110(balanced sound with just the right amount of 'give')
Ted Limited Edition Single Cut: D'addario 11 set(plain G)/EXL115(the 57/08's love this gauge)

These were chosen thru a lot trial and error and what felt and sounded good, to me, with the different pickup models and setups.

NYXL 11-49 on everything...blown away by the sound, feel, durability, tuning stability...everything. Best strings I've ever used in my 32 yrs. of playing.

I still have over 120 sets of PRS 10's and DGT's from the summer reward thing they did back in 2013 (I went on a bit of a buying frenzy!) but I love the NYXL's so much I keep buying them when I restring.

Elixer hybrids. 9-46. Heavy wound, light bare. Easy leads, fatter rhythm. Elixer because that don't corrode or go flat over time.

I still have over 120 sets of PRS 10's and DGT's from the summer reward thing they did back in 2013 (I went on a bit of a buying frenzy!) but I love the NYXL's so much I keep buying them when I restring.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I too was in full GAS mode. I don't use them, I do throw a set of two in the cases of the guitars that I sell, makes for a nice thank you and at least someone might use them.

Back