What stomp box's with your PRS?

Every effects company has its own personality when it comes to products.

TC is best known for its time based effects like choruses, delays, and reverbs, going back to its early classic chorus pedal, and its superb studio gear. They're also very, very good at digital technology.

Boss is used by lots of touring pros as well as "just plain folks", and their stuff is great bang for the buck.

Fulltone is known for its classic effects emulations, and musical usefulness, also on a great many pro pedalboards. Analog goodness.

Electro-Harmonix creates unique effects that a lot of players like, and they're pretty edgy at times. Cool stuff.

Dunlop/MXR/Way Huge also create a lot of very good bread and butter effects at good prices.

Strymon does incredible digital emulations of classic analog and digital pedals. They sound great.

Line6 probably needs no introduction - lots of folks use them. I like certain of their emulations, others are less successful, such as distortions, etc.

In addition to these, there are ten zillion other boutique pedal-makers who are putting out some very cool stuff,

perfect description! loved it

I also agree with the TC Polytune Mini. I have a couple boards so that I don't have to move one several times a week. I just replaced a Boss TU-2 with the Mini and LOVE IT.

Fulltone OCD or an Ibanez Tube Screamer are good places to start with the OD side.

I have a bunch of delays and struggle to be happy with any. I like the tones and options with the TC Flashback, but the rhythmic strumming tempo setup sucks. You loose output while using the function, which isn't an option in the middle of a song. Most of the delays that include a tap tempo switch are bigger, which also sucks.

With all that said, I bought a Digitech iStomp pedal to try out, and really like it. It's a great way to experiment with a ton of different effects for very little money (after you buy the pedal). The delays and modulation effects are pretty good, and some of the odd stuff is cool to play around with. The delays, vibratos, leslies, etc, have tap tempo that works pretty well. The pedal is never going to replace my favorites, but now I don't need to carry a chorus, vibrato/tremolo, auto-wah, octave, etc.

The two caveats are that you have to have an iphone/ipad, and it takes 15-20 seconds to change (load) an effect. If you have an iphone, I highly recommend this pedal as a starter pedal. I've gone through so many pedals because I wanted to try something out, then got bored with the sound.

TC's delays and reverbs are superb. I think we're currently in a pedal renaissance, and the choices seem endless. For a boost the EP Booster is hard to beat. For OD's I settled with a Maxon OD9 (Analogman 808 silver mod) for leads, and a Lovepedal Amp Eleven which doesn't color my tone. If you haven't discovered it already check out proguitarshop.com, great video demos for almost every pedal out there.

122e952e152f8b873f58d271605eaee2.jpg

I really prefer the tc electronic stuff. I find they cover everything I want tone wise. I also find that with the overdrive and distortion pedals, lighten up on the pick and you can get different sounds. They respond excellent to pick attack ,built like a tank and won't break the bank.

TC polytune and creation audio labs MK 4.23 boost are the 2 pedals i couldn't be without.

Polytune, EP booster for clean boost and added saturation to gain of my amp, xotic ac booster for lighter OD, red witch moon phaser are my faves.

Why do you guys have so many pedals, especially you, Andy? Isn't the Dallas enough? :flute:

DIST/OD by WAMPLER... Brent Mason,HOT WIRED pedal into some delay/chorus and you'll be a happy boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I played guitar for an hour or so tonight...after the children got in bed and discovered that I'm still head-over heels in love with the overdrive I get from my Boss OD-3. DGT into the OD-3 to my El Capistan into a Mesa Express 5:50 w/ 2x12s. The OCD, Timmy, PlimSoul, various TS-808s and TS-9s sat dormant while the Boss just cranked out what I wanted to hear. And no, this ain't no April Fools Day joke. I love that pedal!

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Looks like I have A LOT of research to do!
It is a little overwelming with all the choices out there. My 2 Ch H is the nicest amp I've ever owned and i just dont think the multi unit does it justice. I can get some decent tones, but never exactly what i'm looking for and I get frustrated with it pretty quickly. I've had at least half a dozen multi units before finally settleing with the gt6, but I had the same issues with all of them, they're just not user friendly...too many buttons, too many knobs. I need to simplify!
I want to run whatever distortion I end up with thru the front of the amp and the time based effects thru the effects loop. I actually learned "how" to use the effects loop from another thread on the forum, so I appreciate you guys earning your keep LOL ;) ...Seriously though, there is a wealth of information on this site and I really do appreciate you all being so friendly and helpful. You all rock and i'm not just saying that because you have cool gutars! ;)

I've whittled my pedal board down to a lone TC Flashback X4... That little puppy is now a permanent fixture in the effects loop of my "H", it does a spot on job of integrating with the tone of the amp. All the different delay modes/presets/looper make it a super versatile tool. There are plenty of great demo videos of it on YouTube. Everyone should go check one out, you will NOT be disappointed!!!

So I played guitar for an hour or so tonight...after the children got in bed and discovered that I'm still head-over heels in love with the overdrive I get from my Boss OD-3. DGT into the OD-3 to my El Capistan into a Mesa Express 5:50 w/ 2x12s. The OCD, Timmy, PlimSoul, various TS-808s and TS-9s sat dormant while the Boss just cranked out what I wanted to hear. And no, this ain't no April Fools Day joke. I love that pedal!
Can you say more about how the sound of the Boss OD-3 differs from your other OD pedals? I've watched a number of youtube videos demoing various OD pedals - eg Digitech Bad Monkey, TC MojoMojo, Maxon OD9, etc - and I can barely hear any difference between them.

I have the TC Flashback X4, excellent pedal.
I was playing some clean tones with it on Sunday that kind of sounded very Pink Floydish like.

Here is how my pedal looks now.
It is a Pedal Train 2 with the matching Voodoo 2 Power supply.
I have a TC Polytune, but it is not on the board.
I use it separately to check the tune of all my guitars when I put them back away in their cases.
Funny thing is I hardly need it, as the SE's are all staying in tune pretty much.

I really like the Whammy too to get the original note and one octave below it.

11.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Looks like I have A LOT of research to do!
It is a little overwelming with all the choices out there. My 2 Ch H is the nicest amp I've ever owned and i just dont think the multi unit does it justice. I can get some decent tones, but never exactly what i'm looking for and I get frustrated with it pretty quickly. I've had at least half a dozen multi units before finally settleing with the gt6, but I had the same issues with all of them, they're just not user friendly...too many buttons, too many knobs. I need to simplify!
I want to run whatever distortion I end up with thru the front of the amp and the time based effects thru the effects loop. I actually learned "how" to use the effects loop from another thread on the forum, so I appreciate you guys earning your keep LOL ;) ...Seriously though, there is a wealth of information on this site and I really do appreciate you all being so friendly and helpful. You all rock and i'm not just saying that because you have cool gutars! ;)

For the OD especially, but also in general, buy used. There's a great second hand market, so you can usually get your money back if you decide a pedal isn't for you.

I'm the same way with multi-effects. I can't stop tinkering and it drives me crazy. I much prefer just twisting a knob or two and then pretty much forgetting about it.

The pedal that gets the most use on my board is the TC Nova Delay. As with most TC products, it sounds very clean and does a zillion things, most of which I forgot how to do as soon as I put it on the pedal board! I think I need to get the manual out again...

I also use a few analog pedals from Fulltone that essentially recreate the classic pedals of the late 60s, and a Boss TU-3.

But what I miss is the instant gratification I got with a TC Nova System, that came with easily-tweaked presets. I recently even thought of selling off my analog stuff just to get another one, but decided against that. I think now that the perfect combination might be the stuff I have with a G-System, that now has a computer editor/librarian.

I am simply not comfortable sitting on the floor programming a multi-effect thingy at this point; a computer interface is a much better idea!

Back