What started it all?

Hi All
I am 59 Burst guy and have just bought Alan Murphy of Go West and Leval 42 and Kate Bush PRS custom 24 with moon inlays it is one of the first 3 PRS guitars to come to the UK in 1986 and sadly Alan passed away in 1989 and the guitar has not been played since his death so I know just how lucky I am to have this guitar. I am well known for owning several 1958 to 1960 burst 's so this is new to me and a real pleasure. I have just done an interview for guitarist magazine about my PRS and am looking forward to seeing it in mag soon. Take care all.
Regards Phil Harris.

Wow.

Alan Murphy is really underrated in my book. I only know his playing through Kate Bush, but I loved his stuff there. I'll definitely be looking for this magazine article.

Congrats!

Hi All
I am 59 Burst guy and have just bought Alan Murphy of Go West and Leval 42 and Kate Bush PRS custom 24 with moon inlays it is one of the first 3 PRS guitars to come to the UK in 1986 and sadly Alan passed away in 1989 and the guitar has not been played since his death so I know just how lucky I am to have this guitar. I am well known for owning several 1958 to 1960 burst 's so this is new to me and a real pleasure. I have just done an interview for guitarist magazine about my PRS and am looking forward to seeing it in mag soon. Take care all.
Regards Phil Harris.

Welcome Phil. Worthy thread resurrection. I'd love for you to get hold of a McCarty Singlecut 594 and share how they compare to your bursts.

For me it was the Custom 24. Being a Fendery guy wanting Gibsony tones in the mid 90's, it had big appeal. I didn't know of anything else like it at the time and I just loved everything about the model.

We had spent a day in Chicago mostly shopping, of course. Towards the end of the day I suggested we go to Chicago Music Exchange and I held a PRS for the first time. I tried a few and it was unbelievable. But it was getting late and towards the end of the trip. The last one that I played was a Piezo and it felt great even though I didn't know what a piezo was! o_O Nor do I remember what PRS model but it just felt great!

Driving home to Omaha the next I told my wife I really loved the feel of that PRS guitar. In the next week or two I was going to book a flight back to Chicago and go try them some more. I could see her thinking and then she looked at me and said, "Don't they have PRS guitars in Omaha?" Don't you hate it when they are logical? And right?

So in a few days we went to Lidgett Music, actually in Council Bluffs, IA, and I tried a bunch of PRS guitars. I liked them all, of course, but many were too heavy. After several spinal surgeries I need something light. I don't know if he didn't have any hollowbodies or why I didn't try any. But then he brought out the Pauls in my avatar. It was light and like butter in my hands. And need I say it? The rest is history.

I finally decided to get one really good guitar. Looked at strats, Jackson's, etc. Started reading about PRS and tried one out. I was hooked. This was 1989. Ended up buying a ce bolt on thinking that would be it. Ha ha. Not even sure this 4th one I just got is the last!

Fell in love with a Paul's Guitar online earlier this year. Couldn't get it out of my mind. Watched more reviews and online demos than I can even remember. Kept going back hoping it had sold but it hadn't. So I sent the email.... and now I own it. Took me a while to figure it out. We almost didn't connect. It wasn't like the Fenders I grew up playing or the Gibsons I've now played for the last couple of years. I had to let it be itself I guess.

But wait there's more. Now it also has a McCarty 594 and Hollowbody II to keep it company. And another possibly on the way. Sigh. How did this happen? Haha.

I agree
That's where both the 305"s came from
On the 1st, I ordered a Catalinbread Katzenkonig dirt box off of Reverb thinking that would be my Dad's Day/birthday present. Then I saw my SC-250 at a price that tempted me. Then I got an email notice about the Fathers Day coupon applying to the SC-250, so I caved and ordered it on the 16th. And then a tooled suede strap on the 19th...

On the 1st, I ordered a Catalinbread Katzenkonig dirt box off of Reverb thinking that would be my Dad's Day/birthday present. Then I saw my SC-250 at a price that tempted me. Then I got an email notice about the Fathers Day coupon applying to the SC-250, so I caved and ordered it on the 16th. And then a tooled suede strap on the 19th...

Nice! Fifty hits me next week. I should treat myself......

Thanks! I'll tip a dram of scotch, and right click something in your honor! I'm on an old kick lately. Got any suggestions?
What, music? In the spirit of aging gracefully, here's Stevie Winwood and his guitar revisiting some Blind Faith.

If you meant an old guitar on Reverb, John Mann is selling his handmade pre everything Santana for the sun, the moon, Dolly Parton, and your firstborn child. :D

Fell in love with a Paul's Guitar online earlier this year. Couldn't get it out of my mind. Watched more reviews and online demos than I can even remember. Kept going back hoping it had sold but it hadn't. So I sent the email.... and now I own it. Took me a while to figure it out. We almost didn't connect. It wasn't like the Fenders I grew up playing or the Gibsons I've now played for the last couple of years. I had to let it be itself I guess.

But wait there's more. Now it also has a McCarty 594 and Hollowbody II to keep it company. And another possibly on the way. Sigh. How did this happen? Haha.

Dude! We need to jam. I'm in Decatur and also have a 594 and HBII. I seriously considered a Paul's, too. We clearly have impeccable taste.

Back